tjok
Punch Card
Views: 727
Message 51 of 69

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga P40 - Review

Glad to hear turning off the flicks also works for you Smiley Happy

Another weird setting which is better to turn off is:

At the pen settings: Press and Hold -> Right Click  -> Disable

For some weird reason Microsoft default settings wants you to right click, instead of drawing a line Smiley Happy

So I always turn that one off too.

And another one is 'windows ink' or something, which sometimes show up at wacom settings, which is better to disable.

Togotooner
Fanfold Paper
Views: 748
Message 52 of 69

Looks like I may end up going with the Wacom Mobile Studio Pro 16. It has everything I want in a tablet (except for that crazy price of course) and the matte finish and form factor along with the speed and solid pen performance has me convinced.  Now I just need to find someone or someplace that has one that I can try.

I'm glad you guys have had luck with the P40's and hey,...if it works for you

then that is awesome.  I'm definately not a tablet rookie (also have had several Wacom pen tablets in my day) and I tried everything to make the P40 work for me,....but it just did not.

Arthur,....you do cool work; nice stuff.

td

jdrodrig
Token Ring
Views: 740
Message 53 of 69

It seems the P40 has been discontinued. What would be the best way to signal to Lenovo interest on a P41? Video codec upgraded and power efficiency of Kaby Lake plus faster memory of the quadro 520 would be great additions 

tjok
Punch Card
Views: 733
Message 54 of 69

The wacom mobile studio is also awesome Smiley Happy

When trying the wacom mobile keep in mind that when the pen was weird on the other machines it wasn't wacoms or lenovo's fault. But it's microsoft windows which are having the operating system set for all those millions devices on the consumer market with touchscreens for the hands/fingers and swipes/gestures. 

Problably the wacom mobile also has these fingerswipegesture thingies enabled if it is running windows 8 or 10.

But fortunately it's easy to disable them in the settings.

It would be nice if they make a p41 and keep on doing it Smiley Happy Those 2 in 1's wacoms with a nvidia graphic card are like rare unicorns 

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 716
Message 55 of 69

You can still order and customize the P40 via Lenovo's website in most countries. I've seen a few new, fully loaded P40s on the Lenovo Outlet Site, but rarely, and they get snatched up fast. You have to have mad lurking skills to get one that way. 

From what I've read about people that bought both the 13 and the 16 Wacom Mobile Workstation (via the 30 day guarantee, returning one) is that they prefer the 13 for the Intel Iris (550) Graphics. Allegedly, the pen latency is just nicer. Haven't verified for myself, though. 

That said, if the X1 Yoga 2nd Generation had been released with Intel Iris Plus (640/650) as originally advertised, my P40 might be on EBay, and an X1 Yoga (with OLED) on the way. 

Togotooner
Fanfold Paper
Views: 683
Message 56 of 69

Arthur,..STOP!!! Now you have me looking at the X1 Yoga 2nd Gen.

I wonder if it would be as powerful as the 720? Wonder how the pen would respond with it?

Questions questions questions...

Better yet Arthur,...go buy one and let us know!!! LOL

Togotooner
Fanfold Paper
Views: 683
Message 57 of 69

oh wait...never mind...I already see quality control issues with the new X1's. Gotta love Lenovo.
ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 675
Message 58 of 69

Originally, Lenovo advertised a premium GPU option with the X1 Yoga 2nd Gen. I was all set to wade in and buy one, but as release got closer, the GPU option faded from the tech specs on the site and PSREF. When it was released, my fears were confirmed, no Iris Plus GPU. Smiley Sad 

I was pretty disappointed, haha. I'm patient though, and eventually Lenovo will make something I want. Maybe the 3rd Gen X1 Yoga next year will have all the things. Smiley Happy

Ctsiaki
Paper Tape
Views: 428
Message 59 of 69

Hi Arthur, would you still recommend the P40 over the 720? I am looking for a 2 in 1 that can handle 3D modeling. There aren't that many reviews on them but I found yours very helpful.  Almost 2 years later, do you still highly recommend it? Thanks!

jdrodrig
Token Ring
Views: 428
Message 60 of 69

based on this great review. I am also looking for a P40 1440p panel. wink wink, I am open to PMs communication. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors