SG

193 Signins

2427 Page Views

• Views: 2427
  • Message 1 of 1

Lenovo W510 Fingerprint Reader not Functioning

2015-01-11, 13:30 PM

Hello Lenovo Community,

I have a W510 Thinkpad (4391-A72) running on Windows 7 Professional (32-bit).

Most recently, a power failure happened to this unit when the computer was dislodged from the docking station. It has been loose for some time but I have to just deal with it. Everything seems to be working fine, however, my fingerprint reader does not seem to be working at all. Even when the computer is powered down (but still attached to the docking station with the AC power on OR when connected to a battery), the fingerprint sensor does not light up as it was supposed to always do for pre-desktop authentication.

However, in the Device Manager, the fingerprint sensor driver is found and is listed as TouchChip Fingerprint Compressor Device. Under Biometric Devices, the same driver is displayed BUT it is listed as "unavailable".

When the ThinkVantage Fingerprint Software is launched, OR at the Windows Login Screen, both display the following error message:

"Could not locate the fingerprint sensor device."

I have attempted to uninstall and reinstall the ThinkVantage Fingerprint Software, removed and reinstalled the Fingerprint drivers, reset Internal Fingerprint Data from the BIOS and even changed the power state of the fingerprint sensor from Enabled to Disabled and back to Enabled again, but none of them seem to work at all!

Does this mean that my fingerprint sensor was fried by that power failure, or is there another problem bugging the fingerprint reader?

Please do advise me on the appropriate solutions to get my fingerprint working again, thanks!

-it_geek.

W510: i7-720QM, 16GB, DDR3 PC10600 - 1033MHz Kingston Value RAM, 1GB Quadro FX880M, 2TB Seagate SSHD (Internal) + 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD (external via eSATA)

T410: i5-520M, 8GB, DDR3 PC8500 - 1066Mhz Kingston Value RAM, 512MB Geforce, 1TB Seagate SSHD (Internal) + 1TB Seagate SSHD (external via eSATA)
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save