Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
austinbruce302
Paper Tape
Views: 579
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo W520 WWAN Card and Sim Activation Issues

Hi all,

I have a W520 from 2011 and am having an issue seting up a mobile broadband after adding a Sierra Wireless MC8355 Gobi 3000 HS-USB. I have searched around looking for people with similar issues, but what I am having a problem with is with mobile broadband activation. I cannot download the tool from lenovo because my WWAN card is not supported, and the other work around is using mobile.lenovo.com to activate it, but that link cannot be accessed. I am attempting to use a project fi data sim which uses t-mobile towers, and while I have gotten it to connect to the cell tower, it will not give me lte internet access as it is not active. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 576
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo W520 WWAN Card and Sim Activation Issues

Welcome to the Community

Is your preferable cellular operator T-Mobile USA? If yes, it doesn't need to activate the wwan card.

Definitely, the data plan (Internet/mobile/broadband service, the name depends on the operator) on the sim card has to be activated.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

austinbruce302
Paper Tape
Views: 567
Message 3 of 5

So the service is through project fi which I have found in numerous accounts to connect to T-mobile for its data sim. I have set the network to connect to as t-mobile US and the apn to the h2g2 that google recommends, no dice. I can imagine that if I put a sim from another carrier that is in the default carriers, I would have a much easier time connecting.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 539
Message 4 of 5

According to T-Mobile USA support site the APN value differs from the one you've wrote:
https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28990
https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2090

APN: fast.t-mobile.com

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

austinbruce302
Paper Tape
Views: 514
Message 5 of 5

So it is allowing me to connect to the t-mobile tower, but there is still no internet access. It probably has something to do with the sim card activation or there is some other login needed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors