cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oyvindpe
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 443
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo W530 - Nvidia k2000M - Cannot detect graphics card?

Hi,

I have in the past had a lot of problems with my Nvidia K2000M on my W530. Windows have kept disabling this due to "code 43" (Yellow triangle by the display driver).

I have solved this by reinstalling Nvidia drivers, but when this happened every 3 days or so, I started to suspect something was wrong.

And I believe I was right.... I tried to uninstall the driver (probably a mistake) before reinstalling the driver, but now the graphics card cannot be detected at all. When I try to install Nvidia drivers I get the following error message:

"NVIDIA Installer cannot continue. This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware".

I also tried to disable optimus in BIOS, and enabled discrete graphics to try to force the computer to find the NVIDIA graphics card, but this obviously didn´t work. The computer then starts up with low graphcis and bad resolution. Under "Display adapters" in Device Manager there is no card detected at all (As the Intel integrated was disabled).

So, is my NVIDIA graphics card defective, or is there som other solution to try to detect it?

PS! I Also did a system update through Lenovos update center. Updated firmware in BIOS etc. This did not solve the problem.....

Thanks,

zosxavius
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 413
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo W530 - Nvidia k2000M - Cannot detect graphics card?

Honestly it sounds like the gpu might have stopped working for you. Another thing I could think of is trying to boot knoppix on the machine and watching when it detects the GPUs. You should be able to catch that. If it only lists one GPU in optimus mode its likely your Quadro is toast. Sad. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 402
Message 3 of 7

Is the BIOS set back to Optimus?  It sounds like the chip is not working, but I would try a reinstall of windows before giving up.

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
oyvindpe
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 395
Message 4 of 7

Yes, I will try a reinstall. I set BIOS back to optimus, and still not detecting it. I guess the chances are big that the gpu is gone...

it_geek
Token Ring
Views: 360
Message 5 of 7

Have you considered a hard powered down?

This involves:

-Stripping the RAM, HDD, ODD

-Clearing the CMOS battery (i.e. disconnector the CMOS/CR2025 battery connector from the motherboard for 1 minute).

-After that, hold the power button (ensure that all the power is disconnected -  battery, power adapter etc) for 30 seconds.

Reinstall and try to boot it up, re-selecting optimus. See if that works.

I think the chip may really have burnt out depending on how it was treated, but it's worth a shot!

W510: i7-720QM, 16GB, DDR3 PC10600 - 1033MHz Kingston Value RAM, 1GB Quadro FX880M, 1TB Seagate SSHD (Internal) + 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD (external via eSATA)

T410: i5-520M, 4GB, DDR3 PC8500 - 1066Mhz Kingston Value RAM, 512MB Geforce, 1TB Seagate SSHD (Internal) + 1TB Seagate SSHD (external via eSATA)
oyvindpe
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 358
Message 6 of 7

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try.

it_geek
Token Ring
Views: 356
Message 7 of 7

It's worth checking, anyway (since you are going to have to remove the embedded keyboard) that you check the discrete graphics chip for any physical abnormalities. If there are then this is really an open and shut case.

Depending on the age of your computer/power adapter, consider if the power adapter (although unlikely) is no longer able to supply enough power to the computer to cause the graphics chip to not startup.

P.S. As with all computer 'surgeries', please observe the procedures of static discharge before opening up your PC.

W510: i7-720QM, 16GB, DDR3 PC10600 - 1033MHz Kingston Value RAM, 1GB Quadro FX880M, 1TB Seagate SSHD (Internal) + 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD (external via eSATA)

T410: i5-520M, 4GB, DDR3 PC8500 - 1066Mhz Kingston Value RAM, 512MB Geforce, 1TB Seagate SSHD (Internal) + 1TB Seagate SSHD (external via eSATA)
Top Kudoed Authors