Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
localitsg
Blue Screen Again
Views: 726
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo W530/W540 Getting Destination host Unreachable from our Firewall

Hey Everyone!

I'm having some bizarre issues with all of my Lenovo W530/W540's.  I'm not sure when the issue started, the first time it was reported to me was around March, and it has been persistant since the issue was discovered.  The issue is that, quite frequently, our Lenovo W530/W540's will get Destiantion Host Unreachable if I run a continuous ping (ping -t ...) to anything outside our firewall.

I have run a ping to things inside our firewall (other computers/servers, etc.) and they will return good ping until the cows come home.

However, if I try to ping anything outside our firewall (google.com, google DNS 8.8.8.8, yahoo.com, etc.) about every 30 seconds (every 30-35 returns) it starts returning Destitnation Host Unreachable from our Firewall.  This will last for around 10-25 returns, and then traffic goes back to normal.

We are a majority Apple Shop, and when I attempt to ping from any Apple on the network, it get fine returns consistently.  I also tried pinging from the few non-Lenovo Windows Machines we have as well (my personal machine which is self-built Windows rig, a couple of windows test machines, and a Windows 2008 Server we have) and they also have consistently good returns as well.

It is ONLY the Lenovo's that have this problem.  To compound things, they have no issue when they are connected to a different network other than the company network.  This ONLY happens when they try to interact with traffic going THROUGH our Firewall on our company network.  It happens regardless of whether they hardwired or wireless.  Also, during the Destination Host Unreachable moments, Windows does not detect a disruption, it keeps registering good connection.  I do not know how often Windows checks for connection, but these Destination Host Unreachable moments are so quick, I'm fairly certain that Windows can't even detect them.

Our Firewall is a Linux CentOS server that is running Shorewall Firewall Software.  The Destination Host Unreachable notice is coming from our Firewall directly, not from our ISP, so for some reason, the Lenovo is having a problem talking to our FW.

We currently only have 3 of these machines in circulation, but its having a pretty big impact on those with the machines, as going to a website is even a chore, as they often get "Page Not Found"  and other errors when they try to load a website.

I'm a bit stumped, I've never seen a machine act this way where it only has problems on a particular network; usually its a global issue it has with everything.  Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Chris

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 703
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo W530/W540 Getting Destination host Unreachable from our Firewall

Wireless or wired? If you have a hardware firewall, is there also a software firewall set? (Norton, windows, etc) Is the network set up as public, home or work?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
localitsg
Blue Screen Again
Views: 701
Message 3 of 5

Wireless AND Wired both exhibit the problem.  Network is setup as work.  There is a Symantec Firewall from our Symantec Endpoint Protection that exists on the machine, but even with that turned off, it still exhibits the same problem.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 685
Message 4 of 5

Is DNS set to be automatic, or are you referencing the google server above? It really sounds like the kinds of problems I have seen where there are 2 conflicting firewalls.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
localitsg
Blue Screen Again
Views: 681
Message 5 of 5

DNS is set to be automatic, though I did try setting  a permenent DNS server in the IPv4 settings to our local DNS server AND Google DNS, and the issue still occurred.

The 2 Conflicting firewalls could be it, so I tested that.  I logged into the Local Administrator account on the machine so I could temporarily disable the firewall.  I disabled it, pinged out, and I still get Destination host unreachable, though weirdly, it seems to happen less than when on the other account (only about every 50-60 pings do I get Destination host Unreachable).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors