Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GarWarner
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,119
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo W530 won't sleep on lid close

I have a lenovo W530.   About 8 weeks ago it started having a problem that when I try to get it to sleep by just closing the lid, it doesn't.   The problem is not consistent, but it happening several times per week.   When I close the lid, it is usually because I'm packing my bags to go to another location.   The laptop remains powered on, the screen remains powered on, and then it gets SUPER hot.   Like can't touch the laptop with your hands without burning yourself hot.

Since I couldn't figure out why sometimes it would sleep and sometimes it wouldn't, I thought maybe it wasn't "detecting" the lid close, so I decided to try to sleep it manually and THEN close the lid.

Frequently, it just won't sleep.   I go to the start menu (Windows 7) and tell it to Sleep, and the screen goes black, but I continue to have the "Wireless activity" light lit solid and the "hard drive activity" light will flicker for a very long time.  It never sleeps.   Of course, at that point, I've also lost the ability to CANCEL the sleep and save my files and log out, etc.   

Eventually, I either have to power off through holding the power button down until it "clicks".

If I close the lid anyway, and put my laptop in my bag, it "superheats" and either the battery goes so low it hibernates, or it stays on, but when I open the lid again it has power-cycled and I have to enter my PGP Full Disk Encryption password to start up.

Any suggestions?   Lenovo power management is on (and recently patched) and has "sleep on lid close" enabled.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,101
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo W530 won't sleep on lid close

Look in the event log to see if a device is throwing an error when the sleep command fails.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
GarWarner
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,096
Message 3 of 9

Thanks, Rich! I'll have to make note of the time next time it happens. There are quite a few "strange errors" in the log. Next it happens I'll pull fresh errors and post them here. I appreciate your suggestion!
SeniorGuru
Views: 2,088
Message 4 of 9

Is something making contact with the touchpad, so that closing the lid is like jiggling the mouse, causing it to come out of sleep even with the lid closed?

I have that happen with my P70 (which has a red "think" LED on the lid that blinks when in sleep mode) and external (Lenovo laser) mouse sitting on a mousepad.  If I close the lid before remembering to flip the power on/off switch on the underside of the mouse, this iniatiates the go-to-sleep process.  And then if I pick the mouse up and flip it over and toggle the on/off switch, I can see from the red LED that the laptop just awakened from sleep mode and is now "operating" even though the lid is still closed.  I have to re-open the lid, then flip the mouse on/off button, and then re-close the lid to put it to sleep again for real this time.

I imagane any inside physical contact pressing against the red button or touchpad with the lid closed could cause this.

But... then you say this overall anomaly even happens when you don't physically close the lid but simply manually initate sleep mode through the Start button.  So this would shoot holes in my physical trigger cause hypothesis.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,083
Message 5 of 9

The mouse waking it is normal if the mouse is set under power options as a device that can wake from sleep.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Stepinsky
Punch Card
Views: 2,073
Message 6 of 9

If a Windows device won't sleep, it's most of the time a driver issue.

You can try in an elevated command prompt ("Run as Administrator"):

• powercfg -lastwake (see which was the last wake event)
  • powercfg -devicequery wake_armed (see a list of devices which are able to wake up the computer)
  •  powercfg -energy
    Gives you a full energy report dumped into "energy-report.html" in the current folder - default for Admin is \Windows\System32, so you better cd into another folder before you start.
    The report contains lots of useful informations and gives you a good starting point.

As mentioned above, I would also suggest to have a look into event logs.

GarWarner
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,019
Message 7 of 9

Rich, 

Thanks again for encouraging me to explore the Event Log more deeply.

I was able to confirm that there were errors occuring immediately before the failure each time.  

I had not given much weight to the particular error, because it also occurs at other times.

The error is in the System Event Log, Error 10016, labeled as a "DistributedCOM" error.

The error refers to "{C97Fcc79-E628-407D-AE68-A06AD6D8B4D1} IPBusEnum" not having adequate permissions.  The error was showing several times per hour.

While I wasn't able to get much help online with that error, I found a second error referring to the same CLSID and was able to find a very helpful article on that one:

The text of this error was:

"The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {C97FCC79-E628-407D-AE68-A06AD6D8B4D1} and APPID  {344ED43D-D086-4961-86A6-1106F4ACAD9B}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool."

Searching on THAT text, I found an "answers.microsoft.com" link that gave an answer that 64 people have found helpful:

+++++++++++++++

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/dcom-error-10016-in-event-vie...

The following is what I had to do before I could grant permissions to the COM component:

1. Make sure you’re logged on as an administrator.
2. Click Start, type regedit in the Search bar, then click regedit.exe
3. In the Registry Editor, press CTRL-F, type {344ED43D-D086-4961-86A6-1106F4ACAD9B} and click “Find Next”.
4. The first result is located in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\. This is the key we need.
5. Right-click the key {344ED43D-D086-4961-86A6-1106F4ACAD9B} in the left sidebar, and then press “Permissions…”
6. We first have to change the ownership of the key. The current owner is TrustedInstaller. We have to change the owner to Administrators. Therefor, click Advanced. Then go to the tab Owner, select Administrators, check the box “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects” and press OK.
7. Now that we have changed the ownership to ourself (member of the Administrators group), we can change the permissions on the registry key. In the Permissions window, grant Administrators AND SYSTEM Full Control permissions. Then click OK to confirm the changes. In these 8 steps, we have granted the Administrators and SYSTEM account full permissions to the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{344ED43D-D086-4961-86A6-1106F4ACAD9B}.
8. Verify that in this key, the value of LocalService is IPBusEnum
9. Click Start, type Component in the Search box, and then click Component Services
10. In the Component Services window, go to Computers –> My Computer –> DCOM Config. Right-click IPBusEnum and click Properties.
11. Go to the tab Security. In the Launch and Activate permissions section, select Customize and click Edit.
12. Select SYSTEM, select the permissions checkbox “Local Launch”. Then click OK to apply the change.
13. Done!

Credit for this solution goes to
http://www.itexperience.net/event-10016-the-application-specific-permission-settings-do-not-grant-lo...

+++++++++++++++

While that seems unlikely to be my "preventing sleep" error, it has seemed (SO FAR) to fix the problem.  I've "slept" from many situations since implementing that change, including logged in as admin, logged in as non-admin, docked, and undocked.  I've slept from "Start-Menu-Sleep" and slept by closing the lid.   In each case, the laptop went to sleep appropriately.

I wanted to post this message to show that I'm working on it . . . I'll give an update in a few days once I am convinced the problem is "definitely resolved" but I'm feeling hopeful at this point.

GarWarner
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,018
Message 8 of 9

Good thoughts, but as you say, the "start menu" sleep seems to say this wouldn't be the case.
GarWarner
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,018
Message 9 of 9

powercfg is an interesting command. Didn't know about that one, thanks! The "energy-report.html" that is created from the "powercfg -energy" is really a very interesting report!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors