Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
playersnoopy
Not applicable
Views: 10,651
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo's Creating Factory Recovery Disks = FAIL

Ok, so first thing I do when I get a new PC...

1.  Charge Battery

2.  Start initially, go through any wizards to get into Windows for the first time

3.  Reboot once

4.  Log in to Windows

5.  CREATE RECOVERY DISKS

I mean I don't know how long ago but the trend has been vendors put either a recovery partition or provide imaging software to image the HD as is and this be your recovery disks... no problem...

So I start the creating recovery disks process, and naturally it fails on the 3rd Disk... but it says to put in another blank disk and goes on...

Now after I create a recovery disk I always put them to use and make sure they work... naturally it doesn't... results in a Blue Screen of Death.  No problem because I already knew I could reinstall from the Recovery Partition provided (I didn't do a complete HD recovery wiping out the recovery partition) I managed to recover just fine and tried to make a new set of Recovery Disks.......... now here's the kicker:

I get a message saying "You can have only one copy of the Microsoft Windows operating system.  The Product Recovery Media Creator will exit now."  LOL

Wouldn't be too much of an issue if they would have provided Windows 7 recovery disks w/ purchase instead of XP Pro only.  That I don't understand at all.

So anyone know of how to reset the Recovery Media so I can created a NEW set of recovery disks?

hazart
Not applicable
Views: 10,705
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo's Creating Factory Recovery Disks = FAIL

This is a licensing issue; why is it a fail?

Just delete Q:\FactoryRecovery\service_done.ini if you want to create another set...

playersnoopy
Not applicable
Views: 10,615
Message 3 of 5

gave u kudos, but licensing I understand but what's it matter if I make more than 1 recovery disk to the system... 

Oozaki
Not applicable
Views: 8,468
Message 4 of 5

This replay was old but really helped me. Thank you a lot =)

JDay
Not applicable
Views: 8,429
Message 5 of 5

@playersnoopy wrote:

gave u kudos, but licensing I understand but what's it matter if I make more than 1 recovery disk to the system... 

It doesn't, just some stupid Microsoft restriction. Funny thing is you can just copy the discs after you make them, and if you restore the system from the set it will let you make them again.

EDIT: If you cannot make a working recovery disc set just call Lenovo and they will send you a set free of charge.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors