cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wkman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,052
Message 1 of 27

Lenovo, we need solution for the graphic card problems and the wireless problem !!!!!

How long it is last from the problem come to us to now?

I bought this laptop from September, and it can't work, so I wait for your solutions.

I have already wait for almost 4 month.

The so called workstation for the engineer now is just a normal laptop that can use to browzer internet.

What is your solution, please give everyone an answer,  you have promised many times that the solution will come out, will come out, but i don't think we have to wait another year for your solution.

please tell everyone how to do it and make it top. I don't want to find in one hundred or more pages . it will waste my time, don't think it is waste my time?

Guru
Views: 3,999
Message 2 of 27

Re: Lenovo, we need solution for the graphic card problems and the wireless problem !!!!!

What kind of graphic card and wireless problem do you actually have? Your post doesn't actually describe the problem at all so really hard to give you a good answer.
Former Administrator
Views: 3,937
Message 3 of 27

Re: Lenovo, we need solution for the graphic card problems and the wireless problem !!!!!

wkman,

We have released many updates for the W500 already.   Please update your drivers, and ensure you have the latest BIOS.

Please indicate what BIOS version and video drivers you have now, and your wireless driver level.

Also, as suggested, what application are you trying to run?

Mark

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 01-27-2009 10:29 AM
beagle
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,693
Message 4 of 27

Switchable graphics issues

Dear Mark Lenovo,

I have updated my W500 and am still having issues with the switchable graphics.  The problem seems to occur when Windows is starting up, after logging on and icons start to appear on the taskbar (lower left).  Shortly before ATI CCC loads up, the screen goes blank, and will stay blank for 30 seconds or more..sometimes up to about 3 minutes.  Then it comes back, flashes once or twice, all of the icons show a subtle change in size, then Windows continues to load up, ending with the Power Manager (battery icon showing charge/time) loading up.  Now sometimes, when the screen goes blank, it never returns, forcing me to do a hard reboot.  Disabling Norton AV does not seem to change the problem.

Please advise,

Thank you

neuroleptiques
Paper Tape
Views: 3,618
Message 5 of 27

hi

same pb for me with the Wifi: interruption of the signal every 3 to 5 min form the biginning ( vista or xp pro: the same)

i tried to change the properties of  intel wifi link 5300 AGN: i selected "optimal  performances " in french

and i disable the 802,11N mode.

it worked immediatly great for me

hope you'll have the same results

i have a thinpad W500 

wkman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,560
Message 6 of 27

I don't have time so I haven't log to here for long long time.

for my problem, maybe also everybody's problems:

the graphic card not support Autodesk Inventor 11, or Autodesk Professinal correctly. the system have already installed Vista , but under vista, these problems can't be solved, use D3D can work , but you can't drag a model, if you do something a bit fast, the screen will become very strange, these kind of problem, evern the laptop made 3 years ago can be solved, but why our Lenovo can't make it? if you can't make it, why not install Windows Xp but you pre installed the Vista? In the box there is no free xp Cd inside, So if i want to change the system, I have to buy a Windows Xp Cd, and, the Windows Xp will end the life soon, instead by Windows 7!!!!!!!

for the Wireless problem, my problems is the wireless stop work everytime when start computer, i have to stop wireless and start it again, and after some time, it stop, and i have to repeat the same thing, sometimes do diagnose and repair, some times change IP address, sometimes Turn off and Turn on the radio to make it works.

And I want to know why you set programm to make it save power or something, **bleep** , it is absolutly **bleep**! if you want to update the proramm, please set to ask the user with a dialog window with 'yes' or 'No' and then do it,

don't turn off my wireless without a notice of check by the user!!! and it waste too much time for me to make it work again!! everyday i spend more than one hour for the **bleep**tttt things!

and the W500 was said to be an workstation, and i bought it for work, but till now, I haven's use it to make something , because of the problems, I used more than 2200  Euro for the laptop, but it really make me sad!

i hope there will be fully solution come out , but not just ask and answer, we just want to use the laptop, but not how to make it works, we are not such kind of DIY!!!

Chazzy
Paper Tape
Views: 3,513
Message 7 of 27

Mark, I requested the W500 for running SolidWorks based on it being marketed as an engineer's workstation incorporating ATI's FireGL graphics, but after considerable time spent by my IT department and me, I am still having trouble with the graphics card.

I have had problems without being in SW - I'll get at least one BSOD related to the display driver per week.  Working in SW I get the "Display driver has stopped responding . . ." crash at least four times a day and have to restart SW.

I received this W500 (Vista 32-bit) in late December.  After finding no OpenGL card referenced, my IT guy worked with Lenovo, updated the BIOS (1.20) and the driver (8.52.4.5) and got it to recognize and use the FireGL.  It works for awhile, but crashes too often.  I downloaded the latest "driver" from http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-71022, but it doesn't install it; the farthest I get is unzipping into a new folder.  Then what?  Are there instructions I'm missing that explain how to load the new driver?  Is there a web page - and I don't mean this forum - where I can go to find out the latest information and get drivers regarding this serious problem?  I will probably have to use this computer for the next three years and I can't go on this way.  It's unacceptable to pay this much money and put so much time into the problem.  I'm willing to work with you in a calm and level-headed manner to get this resolved, but you have to throw me a rope here.

Thank you

lukaszsw
802.11n
Views: 3,486
Message 8 of 27

Chazzy,

Seems like they forgot the instructions since these drivers aren't "official" (yet only with them you can get a proper opengl support). You don't need an IT guy and the process goes as follows:

1. Go to Control Panel > Uninstall programs, select "ATI Catalyst Install Manager", click modify. In the dialog select "Express uninstall all ATI software". In the end it will ask you to restart your system

2. While the system restart access BIOS and set your graphics card to discrete instead of switchable. Bios can be accessed by pressing Thinkvantage button and graphics options are somewhere in Config section (or perhaps Display). Save and Exit.

3. Windows will start with some lowered down resolution. The driver will install without problems - just use the setup file in the folder where it unpacked.

You can't install the driver while graphics are set to switchable or integrated because it changes graphics card device number and thus is not recognized by the installer. I haven't had any crashes but I can run other applications that were reported to crash the system with 8.52 drivers. Oh, I went with the latest 8.543 driver.

Message Edited by lukaszsw on 02-15-2009 06:30 AM
--
T540 i7 4700MQ, GT 730M, 8GB RAM, Win7
Chazzy
Paper Tape
Views: 3,477
Message 9 of 27

lukaszsw,

Thank you for your clear instructions.  I will give it a go this week.

Chazzy
Paper Tape
Views: 3,403
Message 10 of 27

I followed lukaszsw's instructions, but it did not go according to the plan.

During the driver uninstall, the screen went black and never recovered.  Lots of hard drive activity.  I forced a hard boot, changed to discrete graphics in the BIOS set up and then installed the new driver - 8.543 - or so I thought.  It requested a reboot and I let it, but again, it never shutdown - just said it was shutting down and hung.  This time the screen didn't go black.  I forced a hard boot again and it came up fine.  CCC was available and I launched.  Now, however, the graphic in the lower left of the CCC dialog says ATI FirePro; before it said ATI FireGL.  Also, the driver did not upgrade.  CCC lists it as the old one - 8.524.

SolidWorks starts up.  I'll see if it runs without crashing the display driver for more than 30 minutes.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors