11-28-2017

US

2080 Signins

4592 Page Views

• Views: 4592
  • Message 1 of 33

Macrium Backup Problem

2017-12-29, 18:36 PM

I recently purchased a P71 With a 256tb SSD Primary Drive and a 1tb Secondary HDD.

I have installed the latest free version of Maricum Reflect.

I use it to create Backup Images of the Main C: Drive (256tb SSD) and save the images on the 1tb Secondary D: Drive.

I created a USB Bootable Rescue drive on a Thumb Drive.

When I boot from the Rescue Drive, It does boot into the Maricum Rescue Environment.

However, When in the Rescue Environment, the D: Drive is not recognized. Other Drives, C: and any USB Drive are listed, but no D: Drive.

Windows 10 version 1709

Any ideas on how to Fix?

Solved! See the solution
Options

2355 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10692 Signins

57191 Page Views

• Views: 57191
  • Message 2 of 33

Re: Maricum Backup Problem

2017-12-29, 19:31 PM

First, it is Macrium... not Maricum.

But to your problem, since the HDD spinner is a standard SATA drive I can't even begin to imagine why it would not be visible from the WinPE environment which is what the "rescue media" is running.  There are no special drivers involved here to read standard HDD/SDD.

Do you have a Kaby Lake P71, or a Skylake P71?

Out of curiosity, when you created the "rescue media" while running under Win10, there should have been an initial screen indicated which version of WinPE was to be selected.  The version 10 option should be selected (that's the one based on the Win10 kernel) because your P71 has hardware that needs it.

Also, after selecting the particular version of WinPE you would next be presented with a screen showing what special drivers might be needed to possibly be copied into the WinPE system to handle the hardware present on your P71, and it would indicate whether support for the hardware or compatible hardware was already in WinPE, or if it needed to be copied from your Win10 driver folder into the WinPE target.  Did you see anything unusual here?

Don't know what to think.  Your HDD isn't encrypted, is it?

Options

19 Posts

11-28-2017

US

2080 Signins

4592 Page Views

• Message 3 of 33

2017-12-29, 20:12 PM

Yes, the PE Version is the latest for Win10.

The Rescue enviornment only said that the Network Drivers were not present. I also made sure that Reflect was the latest Ver 7.1 with all updates.  Disk Managment confirms that the D: Drive is a simple non-special  unit.

Options

2355 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10692 Signins

57191 Page Views

• Message 4 of 33

2017-12-29, 21:11 PM

Ok.  Macrium theoretically does not provide support for the "free" version.  That's one of the reason I have purchased their reasonably priced non-free "home edition", although actually needing any vendor support on this product is really rare.

However they are very parental and proud about their product, be it the free version or one of their non-free editions.  They understand that users depend on this product for a vital function, and if an actual bug or malfunction is occurring which results in anything other than 100% reliability they want to hear about it and fix it.

I checked the Macrium Reflect Forum to see if there was anything that might be relevant, and there WAS this particular thread titled "Rescue Media USB unable to find image on SATA drive" which seemed pertinent.  It talks about the fact that the current WinPE used for building the rescue media is based on Win10 1607, and also refers to a concept called "Storage Spaces" for data volumes.  The theory proposed is that perhaps Win10 1709 might have changed something here, and that this might have adversely impacted the ability of WinPE 1607 to see it.

You made no mention of RAID or anything else unusual, but rather simply had the secondary SATA HDD storage drive used as the backup target.  Nothing unusual at all here, so I don't think that Forum thread applies.

I will contact Macrium with your problem report, to see what they have to say.  Also you can't sign up on the Macrium Forum yourself because you don't have a license key.  So I will post your problem in the Rescue Media sub-forum.  I'm sure there will be a response.

Options

19 Posts

11-28-2017

US

2080 Signins

4592 Page Views

• Message 5 of 33

2017-12-29, 21:54 PM

Thanks. I will monitor that forum!

Paul Pavlik (pav78)

Options

2355 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10692 Signins

57191 Page Views

• Message 6 of 33

2017-12-29, 22:07 PM

Decided to do a little investigation on my own machines that also run Macrium Reflect, in particular a desktop which has four internal SATA HDD spinners and running Win7 Pro.

I don't know if you were aware of it but Macrium Reflect can also create a Boot Manager menu entry for itself, so that you can actually choose to boot standalone to a WinPE version installed on your internal system drive, instead of requiring that external USB stick (although that's still another option, like for when you might replace your internal hard drive and you no longer have the Boot Manager option available at least not until you restore an image to the new drive).

Anyway, for this investigation I booted to Macrium Reflect running from the Boot Manager menu, to see whether all of the partitions on my four internal drives actually appeared in the "This PC" folder when starting a restore and selecting the "browse for an image" button.

Well, imagine my surprise when TWO of my partitions were missing!  F and H.

This got me to asking why, and the answer is that these two partitions are on a 6TB drive (used as "Recorded TV" storage for Windows Media Center running on this machine).  And because this drive is larger than 2TB it must be partitioned with GPT (which has no limit on drive or partition size) rather than MBR (which only supports drives and partitions no larger than 2TB).  Hmmm...

Actually, this 6TB drive partitioned using GPT has THREE partitions on it, with the first being a small 6GB partition lettered I.  And this first/small partition on this 6TB GPT drive DID show up in the Macrium Reflect list.  However the next physical partition H on the GPT drive is 40GB, and it did not show up.  Nor did the third physical partition F on the GPT drive, which is 5.5TB.

Very strange.  If there is a problem with Macrium Reflect handling partitions on a GPT drive (and this would be astonishing if it were true) you wouldn't think my I partition would show up either, but it does (perhaps because it's the first partition on the drive?).  But then why don't the next two partitions show up, one being fairly small at 40GB while the other is very large at 5.5TB?

I'm going to guess that both of the drives in your P71 are partitioned with GPT (which supports drives/partitions of any size, including those smaller than 2TB) since it's how Lenovo delivers things now with UEFI BIOS and Win10.  So I am now suspicious that the "invisibility" problem to WinPE with your probably large one single GPT partition on your 1TB HDD spinner is that it is on a secondary (i.e. not Windows system drive) drive partitioned with GPT.

I'm going to investigate further on two other machines I have that also have a combination of MBR and GPT partitioning techniques on their internal drives, to see if all partitions are visible or not to standalone WinPE version of Macrium Reflect.

Looks promising.

Options

2355 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10692 Signins

57191 Page Views

• Message 7 of 33

2017-12-30, 1:59 AM

Well, neither of my other two machines exhibit the "invisible partition" symptom as my first machine does.  But both of these machines have GPT partitioning on the Windows system drive as well as on a secondary "data" drive.

My problem machine (where two of the three GPT partitions are "invisible") happens to have MBR partitioning on 3 out of 4 drives.

Anyway, no breakthrough yet. I will post a question on the Macrium Forum and also open a support ticket, and see what comes of it.

So, I'm afraid no answer for you yet. But it would be informative if you could describe the partitioning of your SSD and HDD drives.  If you could post a screenshot from Minitool Partition Wizard Free showing graphically both drives that would be excellent.

Options

2355 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10692 Signins

57191 Page Views

• Message 8 of 33

2017-12-30, 8:24 AM

I still need to know how your HDD spinner is partitioned.

Is it GPT or MBR?

Do you have only one large partition, or do you have several partitions?

Options

19 Posts

11-28-2017

US

2080 Signins

4592 Page Views

• Message 9 of 33

2017-12-30, 15:45 PM

My D: Drive is only one large partition. The C: drive (which IS visible in the recovery environment) has 4 partitions. Is there any way to determine MBR or GPT with Disk Management in Winsows? Otherwise, I will have to install the program you suggested.

Options

2355 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10692 Signins

57191 Page Views

• Message 10 of 33

2017-12-30, 15:58 PM

If you run DISKMGMT.MSC, each of your two disks will show as a "row" in the lower part of the GUI window identified on the left side as Disk 1 and Disk 2. Underneath those disk designations it should show Basic, the total capacity of the physical disk, and Online.  On the right side of each row is a graphical representation of the partitions on that drive, also showing the capacity and file system (e.g. NTFS) of each partition.

If you move the mouse over the left side of a disk row (i.e. over that information on the left which has Disk 1 and Disk2) and right-click, you will get a popup context menu with a number of items, some of which are dark and some of which are grayed out.

If a disk is currently GPT then one of the items (grayed out or dark, doesn't matter) shown on the context menu will be "convert to MBR disk".  If a disk is currently MBR then one of the items shown on the context menu will be "convert to GPT disk".

So, what are the current partition methods used for each of your two disks?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save