Options

21 Posts

09-19-2012

US

27 Signins

323 Page Views

• Views: 323
  • Message 1 of 7

Message "the current thunderbolt firmware version is .." appearing at every login (twice)

2017-09-28, 20:25 PM

Lately (last few days? week+ a bit?) every time I log in, or unlock after resuming from hibernation, I see - twice - a message saying something to the effect that "the current thunderbolt firmware version is" (and a number).

Q#1 I never saw message about Thunderbold until recently; why is this appearing now? And,

Q#2 Why does this appear (at all, and, twice) every time I login/ unlock after resuming from hibernation? 

This isn't the kind of status information that the user expects to see unless there is something wrong, some action needs to be taken. But Lenovo Update doesn't find anything (neither that built in to Lenovo Companion nor that on the Lenovo support website), and there appears to be no error/ update-needed condition.

thank you,

Options

2 Posts

04-02-2017

DE

6 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Message "the current thunderbolt firmware version is .." appearing at every login (twi

2017-09-29, 14:25 PM
Same here. Very annoying.
Options

75 Posts

03-02-2015

US

166 Signins

1694 Page Views

• Views: 1694
  • Message 3 of 7

Re: Message "the current thunderbolt firmware version is .." appearing at every login (twi

2017-09-30, 9:12 AM
1) Install the Autoruns application.
2) Go to Scheduled Tasks.
3) Disable all tasks with the words "Thunderbolt".
4) Restart your laptop.

The problem will be solved.
Options

21 Posts

09-19-2012

US

27 Signins

323 Page Views

• Views: 323
  • Message 4 of 7

2017-09-30, 9:27 AM

That would actually be a workaround rather than a solution, and, with what other effects? We need to know what program is producing these unwanted firmware version notifications, and what that program is supposed to be doing, to decide whether we need it(s other functionality), before we go disabling it.

Options

2 Posts

04-02-2017

DE

6 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 5 of 7

2017-10-09, 9:40 AM

Absolutely

Options

1 Posts

10-25-2017

DE

5 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 6 of 7

2017-10-25, 6:18 AM

Hi,
I've the same problem and contact the lenovo support, because they have no solution that solve the problem (use actual bios revision). I've spend a lot of time to solve the problem tonight.

The Thunderbolt function need a Thunderbolt software (for Windows) and a matching Thunderbolt firmware (for the chipset). The Lenovo Update Service (Companion) only update the windows software ! The Thunderbolt software check the Thunderbolt firmware version. If the thunderbold firmware version is to old, the inappropriately message "The Current Thunderbolt NVM firmware version is xx.xx Thunderbolt Firmware Detect tool" appears.

I've found the Thunderbolt firmware revision 25 (my old revision 13) with search in the lenovo driver section:

Intel Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt Firmware:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/de/de/downloads/DS112986

After update the firmware, the above message only appear, if the user search for updates with Companion.

I'll contact lenovo support to solve this problem in companion.

Yours

Stefan

Options

2 Posts

05-22-2018

DE

6 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 7 of 7

2018-05-22, 7:42 AM
This trick is not so good. The messages disappear because the Tunderbolt gets killed and is no more listed in the device manager.

Yes, after that Companion/Vantage can make the Thunderbolt port reappear temporarily, but I would like to have my old Thunderbolt back.

Does anybody know how I can get my Thunderbolt reinstalled?
Where is the the original Thunderbolt firmware?
On my P70 I installed:
Intel Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt Firmware for Windows 10 (64-bit), 8.1 (64-bit), 7 (64-bit) - ThinkPad P70
n1dtf04w.exe
This seems to be the wrong firmware.

Who is the manufacturer of the Thunderbolt port and writes this firmeware? Intel? Lenovo?
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete