Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SzuHe
Paper Tape
Views: 92
Message 1 of 1

Migrating the boot SSD from an X1 Carbon to a P52

Because this migration worked so well, I'll describe it here, maybe it is useful for someone else.  This will work for most migrations, not only the described one.

I needed more storage and especially more memory, so had to go into the P52 direction, but I wanted to migrate my existing Windows 10 environment from my X1 carbon without much work.

Completely different CPU (Core i7-7500U to Xeon E-2176), completely different mainboard.

First I backed up my X1 Carbon with the free Version of the Veeam agent to a local USB drive.

Then I booted up the new P52 (bought it with the cheapest SATA Harddisk, which was removed after the relocation, because it's not possible to buy it without any storage), installed the Veeam Agent also there, but only to generate a baremetal boot image for the P52.

Then I moved the Samsung 960 SSD from the X1 Carbon to the P52, and booted into the baremetal recovery image to restore the backup I created for the X1 above.

During restore the Veeam Agent injected all necessary P52 drivers from the baremetal image.

After booting the P52 after the recovery I just had to start Lenovo Vantage, upgrade/install all software it recommended, delete my old fingerprints and reintialize "Windows Hello" to be able to use the fingerprint reader for login again.

So all in all this took me approximately 2.5 hours to migrate my system from the X1 Carbon to the P52, and everything looked like before.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals