cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 946
Message 1 of 4

Multiple VMs on NVMe drives or HDD spinner?

Hello,

Have a P50 with 1TB NVMe-PCIe. Will be having multiple VMs running simultaneously on this unit.

Had heard issues regarding "garbage collection" of SSDs and running multiple VMs on SSDs. One sample article:

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/206638-researchers-ssds-struggle-in-virtual-machines-thanks-to...

Any thoughts?

Thanks

practical
802.11n
Views: 940
Message 2 of 4

Re: Multiple VMs on NVMe drives or HDD spinner?

I can only speak from my experience on VBOX.  Haven't yet tried Hyper-V or running VMs under Windows 10.  Hardware configuration is a P70, Xeon 1505, 64 GB of ECC and 2 x 512 GB of last-year's Lenovo-supplied Samsung 950 NVMe OEM SSD drives in a non-RAID setup. 

Frequently, I run multiple simultaneous instances of VirtualBox VMs under Windows 7 Pro (via downgrade rights from the Lenovo Win10 installation).  These range from Win7 to Win10 images to MAC OS.  So far, I've not seen any real performance issues that are likely attributable to SSDs.  The MAC VM doesn't run at full speed (due to that ' high dependence on MAC's native graphics adapters) but that it runs at all and can be used for most purposes is pretty amazing.   Windows OS versions run quite well, particularly if you tweak all the VM settings properly.

So, I'd say this is really not an issue.  If you are running the latest model of Samsung NVMe drives (which must be the case if you happen ti be using a 1 TB from Lenovo), then you have a leading-edge, very potent Polaris 5-core internal flash memory controller.  My guess is that you will not likely see any performance hits with this drive -- I've not seen any reports from this drive class of the "stuttering" that one sees when the drives are forced to do garbage collection while it is doing other transfers.

Of course, your mileage may vary....

HDMI
Views: 903
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for your reply.

I'll be using VMWare Workstation.

Was wondering if it'd be helpful to put each VM in a separate partition. Of course the drawback is wastage space but if that improves performance then I can go with it.

practical
802.11n
Views: 885
Message 4 of 4

You're still thinking in classica hard drive terms -- for those, separate partitions would be helpful.

SSDs are an entirely different matter.  While logical constructs like partitions are seen by operating systems and files, internally, you have no control of how data physically allocated or positioned on the device -- it is all the province of the internal flash memory controller and is ultimately  determined by load and wear-balancing requirements, free space recovery, cache and performance algorithms, etc. 

The best performing drives have very complex internal logic and do the job of managing flash memory very well -- as long as the drives are not close to being completely filled with data.   If you read reviews and specs of high performance drives, there is a lot of interesting discussion of these topics.  For the moment, Samsung NVMe dives are usually recognized as being the highest performance available, particularly in the larger sizes.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors