Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jfp72
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 642
Message 1 of 9

My P72 UHD Screen Has Backlight Bleed

just got my P72 with a UHD screen and it has backlight bleed on the bottom.
I attached photos to show.. It's on the right side just off the corner and on the left side that has a hard edge of light bleed and its pretty wide. ( it also changes depending on viewing angle )

Whould like to know what the vets think as this is my first lenovo.

After paying what i did, i would expect no bleeding at all.

Not really wanting to send it back just to get another one with the same problem or have someone come rip the screen apart to install another one that might have the same problems.

what you do guys think?

Any help is appreciated!

Photo 2019-01-10, 11 47 58 PM.jpgPhoto 2019-01-10, 11 47 29 PM.jpg

ThinkPadUser99
Fanfold Paper
Views: 638
Message 2 of 9

Re: My P72 UHD Screen Has Backlight Bleed

Yours is far better. Mine had more bleeding than this. Area to watch for is bottom left. Reported to Premier support. Waited three weeks, LCD was back-ordered, two times panels replaced, bleeding issued persisted. Now they are sending me new replacement. No point in calling for this, as my problem got worse. The replaced LCD part had stuck pixels.

If the bleeding is affecting you and if you are within the return window return the laptop for refund/replacement.

I am past 30 day return window, good thing about Premier Support is they escalated and they are sending me a new replacement unit.

jfp72
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 636
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for the reply, sorry to hear about that.This is exactly what i didn't want happening to me!

the light bleed spots you see in the images disappears when viewing from the left side. at that point i see one in the far left corner (like you you mentioned) and another mid way. so viewing angles change the outcome. this is only on a black background.

Im starting to think this is a design flaw and not the luck of getting a bad screen.

mhmm what to do

here is a image viewing from the left side

Photo 2019-01-11, 2 07 48 AM.jpg

ThinkPadUser99
Fanfold Paper
Views: 629
Message 4 of 9

The tech who was on site removed the bezel and checked whether the bleed goes away. Unfortunately it didn't. It was in the panel.

ThinkPadUser99
Fanfold Paper
Views: 627
Message 5 of 9

If I were you, I will check for dead/stuck pixels if there are none I will keep the laptop. This looks like industry-wide issue something to do with laptop getting thinner. My keyboard that came with the unit was faulty. The keys surrounding the TrackPoint failed to register the keypress at all times.

bobbie424242
802.11n
Views: 600
Message 6 of 9

My P72 has some bleed at the lower-left corner and a bit on the botton edge but less than yours. No bleed on top or the side. It irked me a bit just after the purchase but I decided to keep it as it is minor and not visible with normal viewing angles.

However, if it bothers you I suggest to have the panel replaced. I'mpretty happy with the panel. It's not perfect but largely adequate for my needs. I have also 2 other regular 4K monitors that have what could be considered massive bleed but they are still good monitors and it is not a problem most of the time.

Lenovo ThinkPad P72 - i7-8850H / 16GB DDR4-2400 / 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / 1TB HDD / 17.3" UHD / Intel UHD 630 / Quadro P600 / 99W Battery / Linux distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed
jfp72
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 580
Message 7 of 9

Dont see any dead/stuck pixels. your right, im just going to keep it and if it bugs me down the road i can always get them to replace it. thanks for the help

jfp72
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 578
Message 8 of 9

I'm just going to keep it, I will get it replaced later down the road if it realllly bugs me. As with you, I just recived it.. so i will most likely be able to ignor it as time goes by. thanks for the help

ChrisM5
Punch Card
Views: 572
Message 9 of 9

Mine also had bleed. It was replaced after minor mail traffic. I see no reason to keep such a panel when you pay through your nose for a professional graphics machine.

Bleed is an often seen problem with IPS panels. So with the other issues I had I accepted a repair instead of a replacement not to loose my good replacement screen...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors