Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
lenardg
802.11n
Views: 2,236
Message 1 of 10

My ThinkPad P52 review

I finally finished my ThinkPad P52 review. Well, actually, I am still going to test some things and add content, but it is now sufficiently complete Smiley Happy

ThinkPad P52 review

If you would like to know something about it that I did not cover, feel free to comment either here in the forums or on the actual blog post. 

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P52 | X1 Yoga (1st)(2nd) | Legion Y530
pjg
Token Ring
Views: 2,143
Message 2 of 10

Re: My ThinkPad P52 review

Lenard,

I also jsut received my P52.  My config is Xeon processor, 32GB mem (16x2), P2000, 1 TB NVMe SSD, 4K display.  You have confirmed a number of minor issues which I had found. The most annoying is the use of the Elan touchpad which has NO configuration options ! Very annoying. Other than that, I have the same opinions as you on the new P52 which replaces my W541. I will note that the new 4K screen is muh brighter and more accurate than the 4K screen on my W541.

Not trusting anyone's install, I reinstalled Windows 10 1803 clean.   I have order a Samsung 970 EVO 1TB drive for the second SSD slot.

I do find the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility useful to see the real use/status of the system. 

Nice review.

OliverK1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,055
Message 3 of 10

Great review, thanks for posting. I'm thinking about buying a Thinkpad P5X, so I was very interested.

I would use it 80% for office and web, and 20% for editing raw files in CaptureOne Pro and Adobe Premiere.

Do you think 16GB ram is enough for those, or 32GB ram would make a difference?

Did you consider undervolting and repasting?

That could help with the thermal limitation.

I hesitate between getting a second hand P50 on ebay or buy a new P52 for double the price.

Any thoughts on that?

I can't really estimate weather the cpu in the P50 would be enough or P52 is needed, or it would give a big performance boost.

I'm also not sure which GPU shall I chose.

I would not use it for gaming.

lenardg
802.11n
Views: 2,034
Message 4 of 10

Unfortunately I do not know CaptureOne Pro to comment on its RAM requirements. I have used Adobe Premiere on a 16GB system and I do wish I had more RAM. So I kind of recommend you lean for more, especially if you are serious about video editing. Having 2x16GB is a safe bet with the P52 (because they are put under the keyboard RAM slots, so if you need even more, it is easy to expand on the bottom side, without the need to remove the keyboard).

Undervolting is on my roadmap, but I am way too busy at the moment to experiment. Repasting is off the table for me for a few years Smiley Happy

If you choose the P52, then the P2000 is a safe bet. Unless you want VR and/or games (either playing them or developing them) you probably do not need the P3200. 

The biggest boost the P52 has over the P50 and P51 is that it has six cores vs four. Even given the power limitations of the 45W there is a difference in performance. This is not to say the previous CPUs are somehow weak or bad. 

It is really difficult to suggest either route (P50 vs P52) going forward. So much depends on your needs and usage patterns. The growing hardware requirements for OSes and programs seems to have slowed down, so probably you will be ok even with the P50 in a few years. Then again if you want many years of usage out of the system, maybe the P52 is a safer bet?

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
OliverK1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,004
Message 5 of 10

I found this article. It says min 16GB for 1080p and 4K video editing with light background apps, and 32GB with more apps. 64GB for 8K editing.

https://www.cgdirector.com/ram-video-editing/

For Photoshop:

"On Win 10 and Photoshop, 8 – 16GByte of RAM will be more than enough for most of your tasks when editing JPG Photos in the 10 – 20MP range and the occasional RAW Image.

If you are a power user, that edits mainly in high Bit depths and Resolutions, and might have lots of other RAM intensive Software running in the background, consider 32 GByte."

https://www.cgdirector.com/ram-photoshop/

So I'll go with 32GB.

I'm still undecided about the GPU and the CPU, on how much I need to get of those. I like image browsing and editing to be fast and snappy, but I don't mind if the final export takes longer as I do it only a couple of times a week, not every day or full day.

pjg
Token Ring
Views: 1,987
Message 6 of 10

@Oliverk1.  My P52 replaced by W541 which was an i7-4810MQ, 32GB mem, 1TB SSD Samsung 860 Pro, Nvidia Quadro K1100M.  Is it visibly faster ?  Not really.  Yes, the SSD is 5 times as fast. The 6 cores over 4 is better but do I see and huge or noticable boost in speed ? Not really.

So, should you buy a P50 vs a P52 ?  If you have spare money, why not.  But if you are on a  tight budget, then a P50, i7-6700HQ, 32GB, FHD screen is $1550 USD.  Then order yourself a Samsung 1TB 870 EVO separately for $400 USD.  You will get a smoking system for less than $2K. An equivalent P52 configuration will be $2460 or more...

OliverK1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,956
Message 7 of 10

Thanks pjg!

I budgeted originally around 1500 Euro, but I can go up to 3000 Euro, but the depreciation is so fast.

Just, I bought my previous setup in Jan 2013, and it cost also alltogether ~3000 Euro, and now it is slow for what I want to do:

• laptop: 1300
  • docking station: 200
  • RAM: 100
  • SDD 256GB: 300
  • SSD 1TB: 600
  • secondary battery: 200
  • New batteries: 200, 100

My current system is a Sony SVS13 laptop:

• Core i7-3520M @2.9Ghz (Turbo 3.6 GHz)
  • 12 GB Ram
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640M LE, 1 GB VRAM + Intel® HD Graphics 4000
  • Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD system
  • Samsung 850 Pro 2TB storage.

For everyday use it works ok.

When I do image editing, I see it's limits. I started to shoot with a Fuji XT-1 three years ago, which I changed to a Fuji XT-2 two years ago. It makes 24 mpixel RAW files.  In Capture One Pro, browsing is slow, it takes 20-30 min to hours to generate the thumbnales for large imports, it is at the borderline of useability. And I have chosen C1 because it faster to use with raw files than Lightroom.

Working on the picture files is at "tolerable". It takes about 1 sec to load a new image in full, when I click on a thumbnail view. Then  I usually adjust exposure, brightness, sharpening, sometimes colours, and then export a high resolution jpg for printing on my Canon Selphy 1300 photo printer, or send it for high quality printing.

An export to jpg usually takes 10-24 seconds for a single image, if I do it in a batch, it doesn't matter for me weather it is 30 min or 1h.

Also, it can handle only 1 external screen at maximum 1920 x 1200, which was a painful learning.

So, it is possible to work with the files, but what I see is that I always put it off, it's not an enjoyable process. So I decided to upgrade, and from all the machines I found, the P50 / P52 looked only appealing, so I can add ram and a sata SDD with large capacity.

The other machine that was top on my list is the Dell XPS15, I found that by replacing the big battery to a small one, it can also accomodate a SATA SDD, and can hold up to 32 GB Ram. However, it has all sorts of thermal issues, without undervolting and repasting it doesn't work well, the keyboard is mediocre, and I have read about a lot of quality problems on forums, when people need to send it back 2-3 times, until they get a flawless machine.

Portability is not important. Most of the time the laptop would sit on my desk, connected through a docking stations to two large screens, wired network, and a number of USB 2.0 and 3.0 peripherials via USB hubs (two scanners, photo printer, normal printer, several external hard drives, card readers, etd).

So from your responses I understand that I might get or not the wished speed bump with the P50 already, the P52 won't be that much different in that sense.

However the P52 has many of the original quirks and issues of the P50 ironed out, and has a higher capability docking station option.

pjg
Token Ring
Views: 1,809
Message 8 of 10

@lenardg:  Well, I just installed Windows 10 17760, close to RTM for 1809. And when you go to the Settings / Devices / TouchPad, there are now more options to configure the TouchPad. The key indicator on the top right is the line "Your PC has a precision touchpad".  Not all the tuning knobs of the old synaptics driver but better than nothing...

lenardg
802.11n
Views: 1,750
Message 9 of 10

@pjg wrote:

@lenardg:  Well, I just installed Windows 10 17760, close to RTM for 1809. And when you go to the Settings / Devices / TouchPad, there are now more options to configure the TouchPad. The key indicator on the top right is the line "Your PC has a precision touchpad".  Not all the tuning knobs of the old synaptics driver but better than nothing...

Thanks for the heads up! I will have to test that!

We have some important projects running, so this time I will need to skip switching to the fast ring before release that I usually do. Smiley Happy

Preetams
What's DOS?
Views: 165
Message 10 of 10

Hi Lenard 

I am planning to buy thinkpad p52 8870H, with P1000, is it enough for 3D contents watching  on Oculus 

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors