cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slitzell
Paper Tape
Views: 2,212
Message 1 of 11

My discrete graphics card - ATI FireGL V5700 is dead!

a few weeks ago my W500 (4058-CTO) stopped displaying on my desktop monitor via the mini-dock. Switachable grapics is stuck on 'Energy Saving" and I can not get a AMD/ATI Mobility FireGL V5700 driver to load - I keep getting the windows message that thee is a problem loading the driver. Also Catalyst Control Cente will not install now.

I suspect that the ATI graphics card is dead - but I can not find any details on whether it is a Field Replaceable Unit (FRU) or if it is integral in the W500 mainboard.

Has anyone else had this problem; resolved this problem, or have any idea what I can do next.

Oh Yeah, I'm 3 months out of warranty! It figures.

Guru
Views: 2,191
Message 2 of 11

Re: My discrete graphics card - ATI FireGL V5700 is dead!

To check if the ATI is actually broken you could go into BIOS and select discrete only for the video adapter. That will disable switchable graphics, but you can go back and change back to swithable at any time.

You could try to uninstall the ATI software/drivers, reboot and try to download and install the driver/software again using the latest version from Lenovo. Maybe something (software and not hardware) got corrupted and a reinstall of the drivers/software will fix the problem.

You can find the latest switchable graphics drivers for your computer here:

http://download.lenovo.com/lenovo/content/ddfm/MIGR-70443.html#video

If your monitor is connected using DVI using the ATI adapter is required to get a display so no display is just a result of not being able to switch to the ATI in that case. I guess you might be aware of this already, but just in case Smiley Happy

By the way i'm pretty sure it's integrated on the motherboard, but you could check with Lenovo to make sure this is correct or not.

-gan

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,170
Message 3 of 11

the GPU is physically soldered to the motherboard. 

You can purchase a post warranty warranty on your system, and then get it fixed under warranty.

Call your Lenovo customer support (not the warranty support). 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
slitzell
Paper Tape
Views: 2,143
Message 4 of 11

Gan,

Thanks for your thoughts on my dilema! I did try, as you suggest, switching th eBIOS to Disvrete - the result is that the machine seems to boot but there is NO VIDEO. The only way I found to get hte machine back was to remove the bezel and keyboard ( 5 screws total) and unplug the backup battery. This reset the BIOS  (3.13) back to the defaut of switchable graphics.

I did try removing drivers, inclunding the entire ATI Catalyst Control Center (CCC)  and I've been searching for drivers from AMD/ATI as well as trying the latest from Lenovo - no luck. The drivers will load onto the system but show up in Device Manager with a yellow tag and a Windos message that the previous is still in memory or that Windows can not load the driver ( the message varies!).

Yes - the lack of the DVI support is what 1st tipped me off that something was amiss - whn in Laptop mode the Intel Integrated Graphics is running and I did not notice the missing Discrete support.

slitzell
Paper Tape
Views: 2,142
Message 5 of 11

Thanks Lead_Org,

I'll place the call. I tried to extend my warranty online but was not accepted. This machine came from the Lenovo Outlet store as Refurbished, and, after my experience with Lenovo during the purchase, I don't hold much confidence that I'll have any success with extending the warranty to get this repaired.

I did a search online for a new mainboard and so far the best price I found was $650.00

Views: 2,122
Message 6 of 11

if it is an outlet system, then i think you can't extend the warranty. Can you use the intel gpu for now?

Regards,

Jin Li

slitzell
Paper Tape
Views: 2,104
Message 7 of 11

Hi ther Lead_Org,

Yes, the Intel integrated Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family GPU and driver are working fine. Just miss my desktop monitor for my drawing work.

I did call Lenovo, was switched to IBM in NC and finallyy ended up IBM in Atlanta where I was cheerfully sold a 2 year warranty extention for $212. This is vs. a new mainboard I'm finding onlune at $700, so we'll see how it works out.

I won't be in the IBM database for a few days (2 weeks was 1 estimate) so Tech Support won't talk to me yet. I'll update this thread for posteriety as I move toward resolution.

Steve

Views: 2,080
Message 8 of 11

that is something to celebrate about.... 

Regards,

Jin Li

slitzell
Paper Tape
Views: 1,941
Message 9 of 11

Well, I'm pleasnatly surpsrised!

I received the return shipping package on Tuesday, got it out on Wednesday, gor notice that my computerwas received Thursday morning and repairs by 1:40 Thursday afternoon, and it came back by 9:40 Friday morning - repaired!

I'm not sure just what they did - the Lenovo Easyserv Product Repair Summary says, "Part Description - Motherboard Modify:, symptom - Audio/Video Pack.

I had to reinstall the ATI FireGL V5700 drivers when I turned it on, but now the deiscrete graphics are back and the ATI Catalyst Control Center is installed and functioning and the ATI FireGL V5700 driver is up and running - something that was not happening last week!

I guess I'm most impressed that Lenovo got on the problem so quickly once I extended the warranty.

Anyway, thanks to you folks here for your comments and suggestions! It's always great to find a forum of helpfull and informed people to assist in working thru a problem!

Steve

Views: 1,920
Message 10 of 11

not quite sure what they did, i had a similar issue (or should i say symptom) with my W500, which required a motherboard replacement. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors