cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mtechnica
Fanfold Paper
Views: 775
Message 1 of 7

My experience with the P50 (mini review)

Hi everyone. I figured I'd rely my experiences and impressions regarding the P50 I ordered. Had this P50 about 5 days. This is my 6th thinkpad, the last thinkpad I had was a T550 which I gave away. I currently have a macbook air and used to have a 13" MBP which was still probably the best and most reliable laptop I've had overall.

Specs: Xeon, 64gb ram, FHD, 256gb SSD, W10 pro

Initial impressions: It's fast, it feels well built, the keyboard is as good as I remember older thinkpads being, the FHD screen is better than I expected based on the specs. My friend who is a screen snob thinks the screen looks pretty good, but obviously not like a mac retina display. So far I really don't like windows 10. The computer is a little heavier than a T550 but it fits in my backpack better so I think it might not be as wide. Overall it feels higher quality than the T550, the trackpad is much better but still not quite up to mac standards.

Problems:

1.) Fingerprint reader has never worked. Tried everything.

2.) The screen tweak-out incident. Was just browisng the web and the display started flickering (brightness) and an image of what was on my screen was burnes into the LCD. (this was yesterday morning). The burned in image gradually went away, and the flickering has become less and less noticeable. When the flickering was bad, changing the graphics setting in the bios, drivers, etc... had no effect. Flicker not present in external display.

Figured something is wrong with the panel itself so I called lenovo and I'm sending it in for a screen replacement, also noted that the fingerprint reader doesn't work, even with the prereleased drivers, so we'll see what they do. The guy on the phone says they'll replace the panel but I have a feeling the flickering might be gone by the time it gets there, so hopefully they'll still replace it since if it did this once it will probably do it again. If this doesn't work out I'll probably just wait for the macbook refresh and get a 15" MBP.

Nova bench score:

Ram: 341

CPU: 818

Graphics: 477

Hardware tests: 38

Note about the gaming performance:

My friend has a desktop with a GTX970 and otherwise slightly slower components than this laptop. He can run rocket league at the max of 250fps while the P50 hovers around 80-90fps on full settings / 1080p. Was hoping it could game better than this but I haven't tried any other games because of the screen issue.

I'll answer any questions if anyone has them.

mtechnica
Fanfold Paper
Views: 745
Message 2 of 7

Re: My experience with the P50 (mini review)

Oh and I forgot to mention, it has problems knowing which video card to use. To get full performance I have to change it to discreete only in the bios. Another driver issue.

Highlighted
Tritip
SCSI Port
Views: 734
Message 3 of 7

2) Sounds less like a panel issue and more like a connector or cabling issue from the GPU to the panel. (Or the GPU timings.) That "burned in" image is actually a ghost send that is stuck until the panel refreshes with new information. I'd try flexing the panel near the hinges to see if things get worse or the outside edges of the panel.

You should try using the thinkpoint if you've been away from Thinkpads. Still the best pointing device laptop controller and way better than any trackpad (including the force touch Mac.)

You're comparing a M2000M GPU to the wrong equivalent consumer card. The M2000M is about a GeForce GTX 960M or 950M (they share the base chipset.) The M4000M is equivalent to a GTX 970M but a GTX 970M is far less powerful than the GTX 970 desktop. The GTX980M is equivalent to the M5000M.

Comparing mobile GPUs to desktop GPUs is pointless based on the power differences alone. The only mobile GPU close to the desktop equivalent is the M5500M to the GTX 980 but they are both 150W chips.

Tritip
SCSI Port
Views: 728
Message 4 of 7

Nvidia Optimus drivers have been bad all around since Windows 10. You have to keep up with the latest one directly from Nvidia... which I'm betting the P50 and Lenovo haven't released through their update system due to waiting for ISV certification. This has been true for the both the mobile Quadro and mobile Geforce chips.

I finally was happy with the Nvidia 10.18.13.5442 driver for my Fermi based Quadro/Optimus but there were a lot of versions off before then (and now I won't change the driver.)
mtechnica
Fanfold Paper
Views: 725
Message 5 of 7

Interesting, but I'm wondering how it would be a cable issue if the ghost image and flickering gradually went away over time. Flexing the hinges / screen doesn't do anything. I'll make a note to have the technicians look at the connection to the screen as well. At this point the flickering has faded almost completely away so I'm not sure what they are going to do. Maybe the issue was with the GPU itself though? I'm not sure because I've never experienced anything like this.

As far as the pointer, I only use the nipple pointer on thinkpads anyhow I was just noting that this has the best trackpad of any thinkpad I've used.

You're probably right that it's pointless to compare the graphics cards I just thought it was interesting to see what the performance difference would be.

FWIW my drivers are from the nvidia website not lenovo.

Former Employee
Views: 487
Message 6 of 7

In response to customer reports of unexpected fingerprint reader behavior on ThinkPad P50 systems, Lenovo has released an update to the fingerprint driver.

Please see this discussion for more information:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P50-P70-Power-up-POST-and-Fingerprint-Au...

Thank you,

jdrodrig
Token Ring
Views: 463
Message 7 of 7

Hi being cynical if the laptop screen is 60hz isn't anything higher than 60fps a waste of energy anyway?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors