Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeKMB
Paper Tape
Views: 790
Message 1 of 10

NVIDIA driver 6md647ww does not install on W701 with Windows 7 64 Bit

Hello,

I have downloaded the nvidia driver 6md647ww (311.00), 64 bit version, and can't install on a Windows 7 64-bit system. It says "no compatible device found". The strange thing is, although the decompression routine and the window asking to start installation both say that they are the 64 bit version, the text besides the check mark "install the driver now" says it will install the 32 bit version (after decompressing the window says 64 bit in the upper part, but 32 bit in the lower part).

So I guess there is an error in the installation routine which erronously wants to install the 32 bit version although it is DEFINITELY the 64 bit version I have downloaded. Also, I downloaded for testing the 32 bit version of the driver (5md647ww), and if I try to install that, I get exactly the same error as with the 64 bit version.

Could someone please look into the 6md647ww, there is something wrong with it. Also, I can install 6md640ww and 6md643ww without any problems and switch between these two versions without any error - the 6md647ww issue is definitely NOT a problem of my OS configuration.

I have a sporadic heavy crash issue with 6md643ww and need to upgrade badly.

Please help. Best regards, Michael

System: Lenovo W701, 16 GB Ram, Windows 7 64 Bit, NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800M

Guru
Views: 755
Message 2 of 10

Re: NVIDIA driver 6md647ww does not install on W701 with Windows 7 64 Bit

Grab the driver off of NVIDIA's site instead. They're almost if not exactly the same thing.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
MikeKMB
Paper Tape
Views: 740
Message 3 of 10

Thank you very much for your reply, but I have tried this already.

The original NVIDIA drivers are working fine as long you don't attach an external monitor. With an external monitor there is constant flickering, then the screen goes mad, blankens, flickers, etc.

I couldn't find out why this is the case. The only irregularity I found is that with original NVIDIA drivers the external monitor is driven with 59 Hz but there is no way to change it to 60 Hz (which is the correct value).

This phenomena only occurs with the NVIDIA driver not with the Lenovo "flavor".

But Lenovo has released a Rev. 02 of 6md647ww I will try this later this evening maybe it will install.

Best regards, Michael

MikeKMB
Paper Tape
Views: 717
Message 4 of 10

I have now tried the rev.02 of 6md647ww. It still says it will install the 32-bit version before starting the actual installation routine although before this point it keeps on saying it is the 64-bit version. And after that I receive the same error as before - no compatible device found.

Does anyone from Lenovo technical support read here or do I have to address my problem somewhere else? I can't understand this. It seems like noone ever tested the 64-bit version. To say it again, all previous versions of the driver installed and do still install (I can easily switch versions) on my system without any problem.

Best regards, Michael

Grayslake
Fanfold Paper
Views: 694
Message 5 of 10

You and I have nearly identical machines, except mine has FX2800M Nvidia card. Just for info, I'm also running Samsung 840 Pro SSD, and Lenovo DisplayLink USB 3 Dock (I run 2 external monitors from that, and 3rd from units Display port).  I just downloaded Nvidia update 311.35 and everything works fine.  Here's what I downloaded:

Version:311.35 WHQL
Release Date:2013.03.08
Operating System:Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8 64-bit
Language:English (U.S.)
File Size:191                         MB
MikeKMB
Paper Tape
Views: 683
Message 6 of 10

Thank you very much for your reply. 311.35 is exactly the NVIDIA-version I have tested latest. It still had the flickering problem as with the versions before I tested (310.90, 296.70, 260.99). Also, my system does differ from your system - in the way the external monitor is attached. I am using the "ThinkPad W700 Mini Dock 2.0 57Y4345" (not the USB 3.0 replicator as you do). Maybe I should use the replicator, too... I have a lot of problems with the external monitor, especially *nix os's mostly don't work, they tend to choose the wrong display AFTER init then there is no picture on either monitor. This can be circumvented with a special X-config, but this is annoying and not always possible (in the case of preconfigured boot-cds, for example).

Lenovo has now announced a revision 03 of the driver 6md647ww in its readme. It is not yet online but as soon as it is I will try it. Maybe the problem will be solved then.

Best regards, Michael

MikeKMB
Paper Tape
Views: 618
Message 7 of 10

Rev 03 of 6md647ww is now online & I downloaded it. Don't know what was changed in this revision, probably something in the 32-bit version because the 64-bit version is binary identical to rev 02 & still has the same problems.

Again the question if lenovo technical support is reading here and is there another contact at lenovo where I could direct my problem to?

Best regards, Michael

MikeKMB
Paper Tape
Views: 587
Message 8 of 10

In the meanwhile Rev 04 of the driver was published. This version is binary different to Rev 03 and - surprise - it now says correctly after unpacking it will install the 64-bit version. But after that same problem as before, "no compatible device found".

I did some searching into the files of 6md647ww. I guess the file Display.Driver\NVLT.inf contains a list of compatible devices - in this file the sections labelled NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.* list a lot of device-ids, for example PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A3C&SUBSYS_214517AA and many more. The device id of the graphics card for a system can be found in the hardware/device manager of windows, I obtained that for my card and this id doesn't show anywhere in NVLT.inf. So if my guess is correct, it is no wonder the installer says "no compatible device" since the device id of my card is not listed in NVLT.inf.

Please note again that all previous versions of lenovo drivers for my NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800M did and do install without absolutely any problem!

This is strange, readme of the current driver version definitely says NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800M is supported by this driver, but the driver doesn't seem to contain the device id for it. Looks almost like the wrong driver was used / bundled into 6md647ww.

And again the question to the board / administrators if lenovo technical support is reading here and is there another contact at lenovo where I could direct my problem to? I am still having the sporadic heavy crash issue which is very dangerous since it can happen any time if displaying whatever graphics in whatever software and which therefore has a high risk of data loss. Also, installing the plain NVIDIA driver directly in the current version still has the problem of flickering and color errors, so this isn't a solution either.

Best regards, Michael

MikeKMB
Paper Tape
Views: 520
Message 9 of 10

As it seems now I am having a hardware problem with the docking station bus (located on the bottom of the W701). eSATA started working erronously, too. I tried with two different docking stations, no change, that's why I think it is the bus of the W701 (not the docking station). I removed the docking station and connected everything directly, the problem vanished.

After that, I once again installed the original NVIDIA driver 311.35 WHQL and - no pixel troubles, works fine. So these pixel errors were, as it seems, also caused by the bus-problem, and the reason, why earlier versions of the driver didn't display these errors, must have been lower performance of the driver. But the sporadic heavy crash issue (which I did have in the last time with the older lenovo drivers) probably also is linked to this hardware problem with the bus.

So I think that I actually was having only a hardware problem. Thanks to user Grayslake who came closest to the actual problem with his advice.

Still, the driver version Lenovo publishes is wrong, what I wrote about the problems with the current version remains valid. But, as ColonelONeill and Grayslake have pointed out, the original NVIDIA driver can in fact be used without problem.

Best regards, bye, Michael

hazart
WWAN
Views: 404
Message 10 of 10

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors