Options

15 Posts

02-29-2016

US

36 Signins

200 Page Views

• Views: 200
  • Message 1 of 2

NVMe Question - Finally ordered a P50 (Thanks for all the advice) - One last, quick question

2016-04-10, 20:56 PM

Hi folks, 

After several weeks of research and contemplation, I finally decided to order a P50.  I'm excited for it's forthcoming arrival (hopefully by the end of the week).

I had a quick question regarding an SSD install.  I've read several of the threads about it and I just wanted to clarify before it arrives.  I've ordered a 512gb Samsung NVMe M.2 drive from newegg.  I've also already acquired the m.2 mounts/brackets from lenovo.

Can I just install the new drive, remove the stock (500gb hd) and do a clean install of windows via a thumb drive/rufus or will I run into trouble with the P50 recognizing it?  I'd rather do a fresh install and not clone them if possible.

Thanks for all of the help.  I'm really looking forward to getting this machine configured and operational.

The configuration I ended up going with is as follows:

- FHD (non-touch)

- Xeon/M2000M

- 500gb hd (ordered the samsung NVMe and 2tb samsung hd to replace the 500gb hd)

- 64gb non-ECC (I was going to upgrade this later but with the discount portal it was way less than aftermarket)

- color calibrator (ehh)

- backlit keyboard

I'll hopefully get a docking station in the near future but need to do a bit more research on that front.  

Options

12 Posts

03-13-2016

United States

49 Signins

295 Page Views

• Views: 295
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: NVMe Question - Finally ordered a P50 (Thanks for all the advice) - One last, quick question

2016-04-10, 23:10 PM

I did a clean install to a new NVMe drive when I got my P50. I did it with Windows 10 on thumb drive. I didn't even have to enter the product key. It was completely painless. Good luck!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save