Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
outernational
SCSI Port
Views: 7,095
Message 1 of 68

NVMe Solid State Drive Firmware Update Utility for Windows

Ran the update, computer rebooted. none of the info displayed during the reboot/update process indicated there were any errors.

When Windows started again, it ran FWLINBRDG automatically. This one shows the following error:

I don't think I have the HDD password enabled. Where would I check for that? Or is this error unrelated to the HDD password (which I am not sure is set)?

practical
802.11n
Views: 7,036
Message 2 of 68

Re: NVMe Solid State Drive Firmware Update Utility for Windows

Here is my experience with this update utility:

My P70 has 2 x Lenovo-supplied Samsung 512 GB drives; one had Rev 6 firmware, the other Rev 5 (although both SSDs were delivered in the same order).

Ran the update utility under Windows 7.  Both drives were recognized but only the one with Rev. 6 firmware was available for updating.  Selected that drive and executed.  Windows popped-up all over the screen, machine rebooted into Linux.  Impossible to follow all the steps during execution of the update but no apparent errors seemed visible.  System rebooted into Windows 7, continued update process, seemingly without error.  Finally, same error message you posted appeared, seemingly indicating that update had not occurred.

Re-ran the utility again, same result.

Then I booted into Windows 10 (on other NVMe SSD).  Ran utility.  This time, one drive seemed to be at Rev 7 and other drive (with Rev 5 firmware) became available for update, which I then selected.  Utility continued, system rebooted, ran through its gymnastics and I rebooted to Windows 10.  Re-ran the utility and it showed that BOTH DRIVES were now updated to Rev 7.

While still under Windows 10, I ran the older version (4.97) of Samsung Magician and confirmed that both drives are now at current revision level of firmware.  Ran the Samsung benchmark and determined that both drives were now performing at close to identical levels -- the one with older, Rev 5 firmware had previously been significantly slower.

Re-booted to Windows 7 (my workhorse environment) and everything is fine.

So, my conclusion (which might or might not be relevant for you) is that there seem to be a couple of issues here which might be associated with either having 2 drives which need updating and/or a better level of compatibility of this tool with Windows 10 than Windows 7.

In any event, if your lash-up is similar to mine, you might achieve the same result by following my steps.

Good luck and please keep us all updated.

Punch Card
Views: 6,986
Message 3 of 68

I also had this problem when trying to upgrade the firmware. I resolved this issue after updating Samsung NVMe driver to the latest version (v2.1). The older driver seems to be having problem recognizing the serial number of the NVMe drive.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 6,901
Message 4 of 68

For anyone reporting this problem, can you please include the detail about what ThinkPad you have, how many drives are in the ThinkPad, and what OS you are running?  Thanks!

For example, I know from "practical" that he has ThinkPad P70 with 2 drives, and had the problem in Win7 (but not Win10)

outernational
SCSI Port
Views: 6,896
Message 5 of 68

Win 10 x64 14393.693

P50 20ENCTO1WW

One SSD drive as seen in the screenshot (factory) + one Seagate ST500LM000 + an external drive.

nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 6,829
Message 6 of 68

One point to note that this update pertains to only the following:

Toshiba  THNSN5512GPU7
Samsung MZVKV512 | MZVPV256

per the package documentation.

Bthurber
Serial Port
Views: 6,866
Message 7 of 68

p50 nvme firmware update fails to apply

Sometime in the last week a firmware update came out for nvme drives on the p50 from Lenovo. I tried installing it, but it refuses to update the firmware. Here's the process:

Run fwwinsd.exe - which is a Windows app

it Finds drive - strangely enough it shows a serial number of all zeroes

I tell it do the update

it reboots into tiny linux or something like that

at this point it can't find the firmware image to update

system reboots and I see the following windows dialog

Update Failed

Firware update was not processed because software condition is not ready to update due to some reason.

Model: SAMSUNG MZVKV512

Serial #:0000_0000_0000_0000

Firmware: 6L0Q

I also tried putting the installer on a USB thumbdrive but I get the same result. This is probably a case of "if it isn't broke..." but it is not how I roll. Smiley Happy

Any ideas on how this updater is supposed to work?

Brad

Moderator note: post merged with existing thread.

Bthurber
Serial Port
Views: 6,689
Message 8 of 68

@someotherguy, I have a P50 with one Samsung Model: SAMSUNG MZVKV512

As @steveyang94 mentioned, upgrading the Samsung nvme driver to v2.1 does allow the serial number to show up; however, the firmware update still comes back with the "software condition is not ready to update due to some reason error".

Bthurber
Serial Port
Views: 6,684
Message 9 of 68

nvme.jpgUpdater failing

cokefd
What's DOS?
Views: 6,616
Message 10 of 68

Hello, I have a Lenovo P50 with Windows 10, 2xNVMe SAMSUNG 512 shipped with the computer + 1x2TB Samsung 850Pro SSD added later.
The serial numbers for the NVMe devices does not show even after updating to the latest Samsung NVMe driver.
I was able to update one drive, but the second one always comes with an error.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors