Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,145
Message 1 of 13

Need help: cannot install Win10 from USB to my W530/SSD

Surely I shouldn't feel embarrassed about this, but I guess I am.  I cannot get past a Win10 install error at the 1% file copy point, trying to do a from-scratch clean Win10 install. I'm running from the bootable USB Win10 install media (1803) built by the Microsoft USB tool (and I have recreated it a second time, just to be sure it wasn't corrupted, but with no change).

I've deleted all partitions on my 512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD which had previously been partitioned MBR and was running Win7 Pro x64.  I used Minitool Partition Wizard to convert the drive from MBR to GPT. I went into the BIOS (latest 2.72) of the W530 and did a "reset to defaults", and then made just the few tweaks I have always made: discrete graphics and disable Optimus, and clean up the items in the boot device list. And this time I also changed the BIOS setting to "UEFI only", which left CSM on.

I then booted to the Microsoft-created USB drive, which started normally.  I have a retail Win10 Pro license key, so I entered it.  Everything then seemed to get going normally, in the very first states of the file-copy process.  It got to the 1% mark and then stopped, unable to proceed, with the following error message:

Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation.

Error code 0x8007025D.

I've now spent several hours researching this error on the Interweb, trying assorted suggestions from others who encountered this error and did whatever they did that somehow eventually broke through to a successful Win10 install.  But for me, nothing I've tried has made a difference.

(a) I've allocated a large partition at the end of the 512GB SSD, so that the unallocated target space for the Win10 install (and the several EFI and GPT partitions it creates) would only be about 85GB, since somebody claimed the Win10 installer had problems with very large target space.  No effect.

(b) I've tried setting the W530 BIOS to "secure boot", which forces CSM NO.  No effect.

(c) I've tried setting the W530 BIOS to "BOTH, legacy first". This prevented the Win10 install getting started since my target SSD was still partitioned GPT, and MBR is required for "BOTH, legacy first".  I really don't want to use MBR although with my 512GB drive it obviously isn't a problem if I did use MBR.

So, I'm asking for help, or guidance, or suggestions. I really do now want to complete this Win10 install, although I obviously could just go back to my 5-year old Win7 setup (as the entire MBR-partitioned drive was backed up with Macrium Reflect, so this Win10 endeavor could almost be considered a research project although I really do want to succeed and use it permanently going forward).

What else might be causing thie 7025D error, that needs fixing or is worth trying?

What exactly, if anything, do I absolutely have to set in the W530 BIOS in order to install Win10?

I actually do have an old Win10 non-1803 ISO file that I could use to install, but haven't tried it yet.

I actually could create a bootable DVD rather than USB drive, if that might be productive.

I have not run memory tests to be sure memory is not failing, which some others who've run into this error message claim is the problem.  And while the Samsung 840 Pro SSD is definitely four years old, it's been working perfectly for Win7 forever, so I don't think Win10 should be unhappy  with the 840 as the target drive.

Any other thoughts?

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,129
Message 2 of 13

Re: Need help: cannot install Win10 from USB to my W530/SSD

HUMMMM....

I would avoid using the Mini partition tool, and use DISKPART to erase your device and let win 10 install build a GPT on the device.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,124
Message 3 of 13

Just tried it, but it made no difference.  I also had used the "delete" function in the GUI of the Win7 installer to delete all of whatever it found on the drive (from the last failed attempt), and that also made no difference.

I don't think it's the GPT or MBR partitioning of this 512GB SSD that is at the bottom of the problem.  It's gotta be something else.

Will somebody who has installed Win10 on their W530 please let me know what you did to succeed?  Did you install from the 1803 download, or did you install a while back with an earlier version before 1803

I have a previous USB that I used last year to install Win10 as a second Windows on my P70, which also was a Win7 machine.  I am going to give that a try.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,118
Message 4 of 13

@DSperber wrote:

I have a previous USB that I used last year to install Win10 as a second Windows on my P70, which also was a Win7 machine.  I am going to give that a try.

Can't believe it! The Win10 USB install media I created last year (version 1511) worked perfectly!!!!!!  Can't believe I just wasted five hours struggling with the 1803 installer provided from the MS download tool link.

Clearly there is something wrong with the 1803 download from Microsoft, or else there is something needed in a BIOS tweak that must be done in order to be compatible with new requirements of 1803. I had tried SECURE BOOT as one of my earlier attempts, and that didn't make a difference.  So I don't know what it could be, if anything.  I had earlier already set UEFI ONLY in order to create GPT partitions, and that's still the case both with the 1803 installer as well as now with the 1511 installer.

Anyway, I've now got Win10 (1511) installed on the W530 with no apparent problems.  Of course i have drivers and other software to install, etc., but at least I'm off and running.

I will take a little time to see if anybody else out there on the Interweb has run into this same issue with the latest 1803 USB installer downloaded from MS.

Good heavens!!!  Thankfully I didn't re-use that USB containing Win10 (1511) from last year, but it was still in the drawer... to save me now.

Roger_Kaputnik
Punch Card
Views: 1,101
Message 5 of 13

I guess its little bit late, but with Win10 of different builds problem in OS key burned in BIOS. Some builds do verify if its "native" for this particular hardware, some don't.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,095
Message 6 of 13

@Roger_Kaputnik wrote:

I guess its little bit late, but with Win10 of different builds problem in OS key burned in BIOS. Some builds do verify if its "native" for this particular hardware, some don't.

As I recall, the W530 came with a Win8 Pro license but you could buy it with Win7 Pro pre-installed by Lenovo per the downgrade licensing rights from MS.  Similar to how things worked with my P70 where it came with a built-in license (in UEFI) for Win10 Pro but you could request delivery with Win7 pre-install per downgrade licensing rights.  So when I did my Win10 install as a second Windows on the same machine I didn't even have to manually enter the license key as the Win10 installer examined UEFI to discover the license code for the machine and realized it was good for Win10 Pro, and just picked it up.

In the case of my Win10 install of today, both the 1803 I tried first as well as the 1511 I tried second asked me to enter a license code, I believe because the W530 was entitled to Win8, not Win10.  So had I tried installing Win8 I think perhaps the Win8 installer would have again seen the machine's Windows license code in UEFI and not asked me to manually enter it. But since I was installing Win10, I needed to have a genuine retail license key (which I did), and I had to manually enter it.

But again, as I analyze the problem in the post-mortem, apparently it had nothing to do with MBR or GPT, or the license key.  The problem was elsewhere (still not really known) that must be required somewhere in the hardware or BIOS configuration by the 1803 build but that was not required by the 2-year old 1511 Win10 installer I successfully used last year on my P70, and just re-used today on my W530.  I don't think something's missing from the 1803 installer itself.  I think there must be some new configuration required in the target PC or BIOS setup (I'm running the latest 2.72 BIOS on my W530).

The real answer is still a mystery.  But I will eventually just let Windows Update get me up to 1803 the long way, rather than installing it directly as should have worked but for some reason didn't.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,091
Message 7 of 13

If your W530 gets to 1803 successfully, after it works through all of the updates, please do report back.

For reference, the machine is not listed in the 'tested for 1803' document: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht506455

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

Roger_Kaputnik
Punch Card
Views: 1,088
Message 8 of 13

I use 1511 as regular starting point, and then let it upgrade to whatever it is at the moment. So far, so good. On other hand, I don't use USB installer, period, which may or may not make difference.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,080
Message 9 of 13

@Roger_Kaputnik wrote:

I use 1511 as regular starting point, and then let it upgrade to whatever it is at the moment. So far, so good. On other hand, I don't use USB installer, period, which may or may not make difference.

I could have burned a 1511 DVD from the ISO file I had, but as it turns out I never needed to do that.  I simply used the very same USB key I had created in mid-2016 (to install Win10 on my P70) from the 1511 ISO file I already had for a while.  I forget how I built that USB key but I think it might have been done using a Microsoft utility, or maybe I used RUFUS, can't recall now.

Turns out the USB installer method worked just fine on the W530 as well using 1511.

Now to "flesh it out" and see if I can get to 1803 without a problem.  Perhaps if the W530 is not white-listed for 1803, maybe that actually was the reason all along that I  couldn't just use the 1803 USB installer in the first place but instead got that 0x8007025D error.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,027
Message 10 of 13

@NateS wrote:

If your W530 gets to 1803 successfully, after it works through all of the updates, please do report back.

For reference, the machine is not listed in the 'tested for 1803' document: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht506455

So after some much-needed sleep I finally got back to this project, continue with this Win10 install on my W530 (2438-52U).  After letting the laptop sit "on" overnight unattended, when I returned to it this morning it had applied the 1803 update without a problem.  So it's now at 1803 having occurred "naturally".

Seems to be working fine at 1803.  I'm just really at the beginning of the total work, having so far only installed Start10, Free Commander XE, Partition Wizard Free, and Macrium Reflect Home.  Cleaned up some stuff on the drive with PW (deleting the unnecessary 800MB second "recovery" partition the Win10 installer created after C, and shrinking C down to 90GB), and started the Macrium Reflect restore of my original SSD partitions D-K which I had backed up to external USB drive before deleting everything from the drive when I was problem-solving from the 0x8007025D error situation and just wanted to safeguard all of my data.  Once these D-K partitions are restored I'll get to work for real.

So I still don't have any idea yet what was on (or missing from) the downloaded USB 1803 Win10 installer from Microsoft that could possibly have been responsible for the 7025D error at install time, which would not have produced some kind of complaint during normal Windows Update to 1803.

Moving on...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors