cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kekistan_prez
Punch Card
Views: 574
Message 1 of 9

Need small favor from owners of E-2276M equipped P53 and P73 (Xeon)

So if you own the Xeon 2276 processor with your P series, can you do a little test?

Download throttlestop here: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

In the FIVR tab, click that and on the bottom left, there will be a "multipliers" window

Here's an image for reference: https://i.imgur.com/3kRmPd4.png

Can you actually change the multipliers? Does it have any effect on the CPU speed if you adjust UP or DOWN the all core multiplier?

You can run a small stress test program on the TS Bench menu to see the CPU speed under stress test:  https://i.imgur.com/yeWTSYN.png

Alternatively if you prefer Intel XTU, can you change multipliers? If you have changed them, have they made any difference in processor speed when you run stress test?

Image for reference in Intel XTU: https://i.imgur.com/KmbZ4qG.png

Thanks in advance.

helson73
Punch Card
Views: 536
Message 2 of 9

Re: Need small favor from owners of E-2276M equipped P53 and P73 (Xeon)

I have a P52 with Xeon E2176M and I cannot change the multiplier. 

But I saw the official intel website said it was capable of that. 

So I am wondering its lenovo's restriction. 

I had a P52 with 8850H before, with it I can change the multiplier easily, and I found it has a significant effect on Cinebench scores, of course you need to modify fan speed control with software like TPFancontrol to avoid thermal throttling coming too early. 

unclewebb9
Blue Screen Again
Views: 490
Message 3 of 9

Your ThrottleStop screenshot shows Turbo Overclocking +0. That means the CPU does not support adjusting the Turbo Ratio Limits higher than their default values. ThrottleStop leaves this option open for testing purposes but it will not accomplish anything by setting them higher.
If these multipliers are adjustable in ThrottleStop (ie. not locked) changing them lower will reduce the maximum CPU speed. You can go lower but not higher than default. Some people with poor cooling do this to help control the maximum CPU speed and maximum CPU temperature.
kekistan_prez
Punch Card
Views: 460
Message 4 of 9

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I am not looking to overclock the CPU, but actually to limit the all core boost to a more realistic value.

For example, the 2176 on the P52 is opportunistically set to 4.1GHz on all cores, which is not attainable on regular thermal paste even with the fanspeed set to 64. It would be nice to be able to limit that to 3.6 or 3.5GHz and reduce or remove clock throttling due to thermal or VRM throttling.

However the 7820HQ, 8850H, 8750H can have their multiplier adjusted DOWN to reduce their turbo speeds.

Yes I have verified that the 2176 in the P52 is locked.

I also had two P71 with 1505 and 1535 and the multipliers cannot be adjusted.

kekistan_prez
Punch Card
Views: 458
Message 5 of 9

Hi uncle, thanks for the reply.

Yes I know the 8750H cannot have its multiplier "overclocked" so to speak, but it can be adjusted down. I have tried this with an Acer Predator Helios 300 8750/1060N.

I am not looking to overclock the 2267, but rather to limit its boost speed to a reasonable amount (lets say 3.5-3.6GHz all 6 cores) so that it does not overheat when stressed with a multi core workload.

So I'm asking people who own the 2276 to check.

Since the 9850H is not available (same CPU as 2276) I might want to get the 2276, however if the multiplier is not adjustable on the 2276 then it might be worth to wait a bit longer for it to be available.

Both the P53 and P73 parts website list the 16G video card with the 2276 and the 9850H.

https://i.imgur.com/rZDDNs6.png

https://i.imgur.com/mgyjFs0.png

kekistan_prez
Punch Card
Views: 338
Message 6 of 9

Does anyone have an answer to this multiplier question?

agazpp
Punch Card
Views: 248
Message 7 of 9

All multipliers are locked on my P73 with E-2276M,

I can change turbo boost power, bursts, duration, do some cache adjustments

But multipliers are locked :-(

Using Intel Utility

Also system struggles with thermals a bit

In stock, system purshes frequencies quite aggresively, i see 4.7 rather often

agazpp
Punch Card
Views: 240
Message 8 of 9

Here is screen shot

Hope this helps

Highlighted
ve2mrx
Token Ring
Views: 151
Message 9 of 9

I'm curious:

What would be the benefit? I thought that the CPU would automatically lower it's Turbo-boost frequency to limit heat generation?

On my P52 (i7-8750H), there is thermal throttle only in the first few seconds after starting an intensive load, and then only on a cool machine. On a hot machine, Turbo-boost limit itself to a lower, stable frequency, with no throttle?

Trying to better understand,

Martin

I'm a user, NOT a Lenovo employee. If my post helped, consider giving me a Kudos. If I solved your issue, please mark it as Solved.
P52 I7-8750H P1000 FHD 16GB 512GB-SSD 1TB-HDD

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors