Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bunsen1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,034
Message 1 of 5

New P52 and added Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock

Hello All.  I am new here.

My company replaced my W540 (Windows 7 OS) Thinkpad with a P52 (Windows 10 OS) Thinkpad.  I have an external DisplayPort monitor and extend the desktop to it.  I have a USB printer.  I use both wired Ethernet, and wifi.  I have a wireless Logitech mouse.  I also have a set of Altec speakers.  The P52 no longer uses the sit on type of Dock, so I bought a Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock (230W).  I set everything up, with the external monitor connected to the Thunderbolt 3, along with the Ethernet, printer, speakers, and Logitech Unifying transceiver.  With everything connected, the P52 connected to the monitor just fine, and I extended the Desktop to it.  The P52 could not see the printer, the Ethernet, or the Logitech Unifying transceiver.  If I move these items to direct connection on the P52, they are all found right away.

Today, I downloaded the latest software and drivers for the Thunderbolt 3, and then installed them.  I have the same results for the four peripherals.  Am I missing something?  My Windows 10 OS is the Enterprise Edition, version 1803.  The Dock lets me connect the monitor and the power with one cable, but I still need to plug in and out the other four items if I use them.

Help Please...

Thanks,

Bunsen1

Morfinas
Token Ring
Views: 990
Message 2 of 5

Re: New P52 and added Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock

Try to connect external devices (ethernet, printer, speakers) one by one

I have P52 and Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock (170W) and to dock is connected 2 external monitors, ethernet cable, USB (to one of monitors USB hub). No problems so far..

Bunsen1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 957
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for the reply.  I am glad to know your similar setup is working.  I tried plugging them in one at a time, with everything else up and running.  Still the same, the printer went from a status of "Default" (plugged directly), to "Default, Offline" in the settings window.  The Ethernet kept it's status of "Not connected" when I plugged the cable into the Dock.  I didn't try moving the Logitech receiver.  I was also wondering if the Workstation Dock can be hot unplugged (say, for attending a meeting), and then re-plugged in upon my return to my office.  Does the P52 and Windows 10 handle that, like my old W540 with Windows 7 did?

I am beginning to wonder if I have a defective Workstation Dock.

Regards,

Bunsen1

(BTW...I have a boxed copy of PC DOS 2000 in my cabinet Smiley Happy

Morfinas
Token Ring
Views: 929
Message 4 of 5

Yes, Dock is hot pluggable (i tried).
With Thunderbolt software installation is all ok? In Device manager, system tray and so on...Check readme.txt for that..
Bunsen1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 860
Message 5 of 5

Thank you for the help.  I re-read the readme.txt and the User Guide, but found nothing to lead me to the solution.  I checked the Device Manager, but nothing showed an error there.  Then I found the Thunderbolt Software icon on the System Tray.  On the Approve Thunderbolt Devices popup, the software had defaulted to "Never Connect".  I changed that to "Always Connect", and everything started working.  I don't know why the Display Port worked when everything else did not.  That made me think the P52 was seeing the Thunderbolt Workstation Dock, and only part of the Dock was functioning.

Now I can focus on the job at hand.  Thanks,

Bunsen1

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors