Did you mean: 
DKITmanager
Paper Tape
Views: 1,406
Message 1 of 8

New P70 + dock + 3 Lenovo monitors does not work

My setup:

Lenovo Thinkpad P70 (MTM: 20ER-003NMD)

Dock: Thinkpad Workstation Dock SD20A06045 / 04W3955 (just installed firmware version 2.33.000)

Displays: Three Thinkvision 24" (1920x1200) LT2452p (MTM: 4420-MB2)

I upgraded from a W540 to the P70 just recently and changed the dockingstation with it. The setup is cabled with:

Monitor 1&2:

2x Displayport --> Displayport in dock

Monitor 3:

1x DVI --> DVI in dock.

Issue:

Monitor 3 will not show a picture, it goes directly to power-saving-mode. I have tried to use the following work-arounds, before writing this post:

*Changed to DVI cable to a new one, also took another DVI just in case = directly to power-saving mode

*Changed to a Display-port cable, had a converter betweeen for Displayport --> hdmi and had a HDMI cable to the dock = directly to power-saving mode

*Changed to a Display-port --> mini-display-port cable and plugged it directly into the Lenovo laptop = directly to power-saving mode (this was my setup with my W540, to get it to work)

Question:

How do I get my setup to work? I have installed the latest drivers from the site:

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/dk/da/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-p-series-laptops/thinkpad-p...

I have also checked, that the dock does support this setup:

https://support.lenovo.com/dk/da/solutions/pd029622

What am I missing? (its frustrating that a new model like the P70 dont autoregister any monitor)

Thank you very much in advance. 

/Best Regards Kim

DKITmanager
Paper Tape
Views: 1,375
Message 2 of 8

Re: New P70 + dock + 3 Lenovo monitors does not work

Hello,

I forgot to mention, I am running Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,356
Message 3 of 8

From the chart below, there are 3 banks on the docking station.

Bank 1  contains a DP and an HDMI.

Bank 2 contains a DP and DVI.

Bank 3 contains a VGA.

To connect three monitors to the docking station, you'll need to connect one monitor to each of the three banks to get 3 displays working out of the docking station (i.e., 1 monitor to Bank 1 - either DP or HDMI port, 1 monitor to Bank 2 - either DP or DVI port, 1 monitor to Bank 3 - VGA port).  

That being said, if you didn't want to use the VGA port on the docking station, you should be able to plug the third monitor into the HDMI port directly on the laptop itself and drive your three displays.  

(https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd029622)

DKITmanager
Paper Tape
Views: 1,295
Message 4 of 8

Hello Mebsterbball,

This helped! Thank you very much.

Although aside, I cannot help but wonder why it has been made this way. You should be able to use whatever ports your like(?).

Again, thank your for your support.

/Kim

chrismmurray
What's DOS?
Views: 1,193
Message 5 of 8

Althought I completely understand what the requirements are for monitors, I still cannot get the more than 1 monitor to work. 

I'm also aware of the 4k limitation. 

Is 2560x1440 considered 4k for this limitation? My mainmonitor is a S27A850D - 27" 850 Series Business LED Monitor. It works fine as a single mon.

That being said, my other monitors are apple cinema displays at 1080p. I can't get either of them to work. Either with or without the samsung hooked up.

5thduke
Token Ring
Views: 1,192
Message 6 of 8

i found the startech TB3 to duel DP adapter well worth the investment it works sweet,i have 2 dell 34inch ultrawides running of it @60hz each plus plenty of ports left for a third.

chrismmurray
What's DOS?
Views: 1,171
Message 7 of 8

I assume you're plugging this into the laptop itself?
5thduke
Token Ring
Views: 1,167
Message 8 of 8

Yes I bought the ultra dock with my p70 early 2016 found it ok for elivating keyboard not so good for multi monitor set up just saying using the TB ports on the p70 is another option

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors