Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Laddmachining
Paper Tape
Views: 563
Message 1 of 5

New P71 Start/Restart Issues

I just got this new P71 Thinkpad 20HK. I opened it up and plugged it in and turned it on like the instructions said and i was presented with a Lenovo screen that says "to interupt normal startup, press enter" and it stayed on that screen for over an hour and never did anything. So i turned it off and back on and it started working instantly. It happens daily now ( 4th day ) and since then everything has been updated, bios, graphis card, windows. Yesterday it did it once, i just got finished trying to start it and had to turn it off 3 times to start it this time.

Turns out the bios never did get updated. Current version is 1.16 on the forum but my Lenovo Vantage says im at 1.15 and no current updates needed. Bios has to be done manually or can Lenovo Vantage do it some how?

SeniorGuru
Views: 513
Message 2 of 5

Re: New P71 Start/Restart Issues

Looks like you're not alone.

Check out this other thread that seems to be reporting a very similar boot-time machine startup anomaly symptom for the P71.  But that one seems to be blaming BIOS 1.16, not 1.15 as you have.

Then there's my own separate thread reporting another boot-time machine startup anomaly, as well as several related BIOS Setup Utility behavioral anomalies, for the P70, beginning with BIOS 2.20 and continuing into 2.21.  Backing off the 2.19 eliminates 100% of the strange symptoms.  This one seems very much related to presence or absence of ANY attached external USB drives, and new BIOS code first released in 2.20 that, according to the 2.20 README, specifically relates to USB drives connected through external monitors.

Note from the P71 BIOS 1.16 README that what appears to be the same new USB-related logic got added here with 1.16, that also got placed in the 2.20 BIOS for the P70.  So whether or not there is actually an external USB drive present or not, the new BIOS code pertaining to USB is now present and active on both P70 and P71.

But... as you report your machine claims to have BIOS 1.15 installed, so this USB logic can't be relevant, one would think.

Anyway, this is now the third reported thread where something strange has been reported about recent P70/P71 BIOS behavior, either at boot time after 1st-time machine startup after power-off state vs. machine re-start once it has previously already been running, or in my case involving presence or absence of externally connected USB drives (regardless of whether these or HDD or flash, powered or not, USB 2.0 or 3.0, and bootable or not)..

Laddmachining
Paper Tape
Views: 511
Message 3 of 5

One thing i did notice with mine was it was shutting down on its own....on my window settings i had to going to sleep at 30 minutes, but sometimes its been shutting down after like 5 or less....sometimes it wakes up from that sleep and others it doesnt. From every computer i ever had if it goes to sleep the programs running will still be up when it comes back. This one 50% of the time the programs are up and others they are not ( if it starts )

I just reset the "balanced" power program to defaults and so far its acting like it should....who knows.

I only have a USB mouse plugged into it, and it wasnt plugged in when i first started it up for my first freeze. Other than that i have 2 hard drives that lenovo put in a SSD and a storage.

Laddmachining
Paper Tape
Views: 503
Message 4 of 5

Really confused now. After 10 min the screen goes off ( like it should ) then after 30 it shut down ( power light off and not blinking like it should ) then when i started it up i got the lenovo screen again, thought it was stuck but 10 min later i checked and it was at the log in screen but for the first time the finger scan was working.....so i logged in with it lol ( glowing green and everything ) man o man

Laddmachining
Paper Tape
Views: 493
Message 5 of 5

Ended up getting Lenovo program to detect if there are any other software uploads i can get , had to install this one program to dig deep it seemed...none the less it didnt find anything to update and now its erroring out "failed to listen to ports" haha ..too bad i have a full time job, i could spend all day troubleshooting issues. I paid Lenovo to fix my computer issues to save me time to focus on my work, but it seems i paid the wrong company.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors