Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

20 Posts

03-02-2012

Houston, Texas, USA

74 Signins

306 Page Views

• Views: 306
  • Message 1 of 6

New W520, Windows 7 newbie mistake (uninstalled application by accident) - please i need info

2012-03-02, 6:38 AM

Hello everyone,

Been reading this thread to keep me sane while waiting for my W520.  It came today and so far i think it's perfect!  I however am not. Even though i am an experienced computer user, i have never really used Windows 7 other than helping others troubleshoot some issue or another.

So, i was cruzing around and while in control panel / programs / programs and features.. looking through the list i decided, who knows why to 'look at' one of the intel apps installed by default.  My braind said 'theres no way a double click could be bad' and did it.... ughh.....  .5 seconds later, its gone.  Stupid yes.  Stupid me.  Stupid 1 double click and an app is uninstalled with no confirmation; crazier. 

But anyway, it was called (i'm already forgetting), i think Intel Control Center.  Can someone confirm the name and let me know where i can find it.  Hopefully Lenovo, but i didnt see it browsing around the support sight.

Here's what i have left (Intel-wise):

Intel(R) Identity Protection Technology

Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless WifFi Software

Intel HD Graphics Driver

Intel Management Engine Componants

No i didnt make any system restore yet!!!

Thanks,

Answer
Options

2483 Posts

04-08-2011

United States of America

5471 Signins

46460 Page Views

• Views: 46460

Re: New W520, Windows 7 newbie mistake (uninstalled application by accident) - please i need info

2012-03-02, 7:06 AM

Take a deep breath.  There's very little you can screw up uninstalling Intel software in control panel.

First of all, everything you need is likely under the SWTOOLS directory on your machine.  Second, you can still make the factory recovery disk set from the Lenovo applet in Control Panel.  Do that soon. 

Third, the Intel Control Center is an optional control application that can be installed with various Intel drivers.  It's totally optional.  For instance, if you install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) drivers, it's one of the options on the Custom install.

The core drivers from Intel you need are the Optimus video drivers, WIFI drivers assuming you have the 6300 or other Intel chipset, and the Intel Ethernet drivers.  For a clean install you would also need the Intel Chipset drivers but I'm sure you didn't uninstall them. 

You can download everything from support.lenovo.com.

Replies(5)
Answer
Options

2483 Posts

04-08-2011

United States of America

5471 Signins

46460 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

Re: New W520, Windows 7 newbie mistake (uninstalled application by accident) - please i need info

2012-03-02, 7:06 AM

Take a deep breath.  There's very little you can screw up uninstalling Intel software in control panel.

First of all, everything you need is likely under the SWTOOLS directory on your machine.  Second, you can still make the factory recovery disk set from the Lenovo applet in Control Panel.  Do that soon. 

Third, the Intel Control Center is an optional control application that can be installed with various Intel drivers.  It's totally optional.  For instance, if you install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) drivers, it's one of the options on the Custom install.

The core drivers from Intel you need are the Optimus video drivers, WIFI drivers assuming you have the 6300 or other Intel chipset, and the Intel Ethernet drivers.  For a clean install you would also need the Intel Chipset drivers but I'm sure you didn't uninstall them. 

You can download everything from support.lenovo.com.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

243 Posts

06-06-2011

United States of America

184 Signins

2209 Page Views

• Views: 2209
  • Message 3 of 6

2012-03-02, 21:11 PM

I wanted to say a quick "thanks" to ThorsHammer for the helpful reply.  I'm not the OP but have a habit of getting into similar situations, and your reply helped me understand how to avoid some of them.

-JV

Options

20 Posts

03-02-2012

Houston, Texas, USA

74 Signins

306 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2012-03-02, 22:25 PM

Good afternoon,

I tagged as the solution last night due to the wealth of info that it had (and the sense it made), but i had not actualy resolved the "issue" yet.

Since then i have made my system recovery disc.  Gone through the update Lenovo process (BIOS etc), and completed Windows update, and created several restore points along the way.

At the end of it all i just went back to look at 'Programs and Features'; lo and behold, guess what's back? My long lost Intel Control Center! I feel whole again. 

Thanks a lot, ThorsHammer!

P.S. This laptop is so awesome!

Options

2483 Posts

04-08-2011

United States of America

5471 Signins

46460 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2012-03-03, 3:00 AM

Magic!   

Have fun this weekend.

Holler if you have any questions.

Options

20 Posts

03-02-2012

Houston, Texas, USA

74 Signins

306 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2012-03-03, 7:07 AM

Thank you sir; having fun already... already 1am too!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms