cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Garfield
Token Ring
Views: 3,722
Message 1 of 14

New W530 - upgrade for a dummy - please help...

Hallo,

I am a "new" W530 owner - familiar with Thinkpads - but in fact more a "user" but not so very good in ICT.
I want to use the laptop for Photoshop and Adobe Premiere.

I'm just back from the store and started my W530.

Windows 7 is installed on this machine, but the man in the store told me I could upgrade to Windows 8.
I asked if there came some recovery DVD's with it, but he told me, that ther were no recovery DVD'S included and that  I had to do the upgrade online.

Now have opened the box, and I discover 4 DVD's !!! ???

* OPERATING SYSTEM RECOVERY DISC Windows 8 Pro (OEM Activation 3.0 required )

* Disc 1 of 3: Applications and drivers recovery disc
* Disc 2 of 3: Applications and drivers recovery disc
* Disc 3 of 3: Applications and drivers recovery disc

Also I found a paper with a warning to update the firmware for Mobile broadband mini card.

A little bit confusing for this dummy.....

Should I use the DVD's or not ?Smiley Embarassed

Can someone please tell me how to start.....

Or is it safer to to back to the shop and ask them to make the upgrade ?

My apologies for these "stupid" questions, but I'm terribly afraid to do something "wrong".....

Thanks for your understanding....

Edit:

Suppose I make a CLONE on a other harddisk, and I manage to run the Windows 8 update, would I be able to swap disks and work with Windows 7 or Windows 8 ? Because I presume once I made the upgrade, I cannot "downgrade" ?

elof
Punch Card
Views: 3,684
Message 2 of 14

Re: New W530 - upgrade for a dummy - please help...

Heh, that was confusing.

In your installed Win7 you should have a Thinkvantage option to create a set of backup-DVDs (and possibly one CD, I don't remember). Anyhow, I would create these rescue discs and then use the Win8 DVDs to reinstall the computer to see if things work. If not, I can revert back to Win7.

...which you most probably will want to do. Win7 is a nice OS. Win8 is just an annoying playground.

Garfield
Token Ring
Views: 3,672
Message 3 of 14

At the moment I am cloning the original harddisk. ( with an external device )

Some more info:

I have a BIG (folded) sheet named "SAFETY WARRANTY AND SETUP GUIDE ,with a picture of the W530 and all of its components ( for ex. 1= VGA port, 2 = USB port etc...)

But on that same sheet I read:

"RECOVERY DISCS ARE NOT PROVIDED. Instead, everything needed for recovering factory-installed files and applicatoins, is provided in the Lenovo_Recovery partition on your hard disk drive. Etc.........

But in the box of my laptop, I found FOUR "recovery-DVD's" ????

Isn't that confusing ?????

Tomorrow I will also try if I can make these W7 recovery DVD's...

Thanks and I will keep you informed !

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 3,669
Message 4 of 14

Some systems are sold with Win 8 licenses, but have through the MS downgrade rights, a preinstalled Win 7 from the factory.  In order that the customer, should they wish to do so, can install the Win8 by using the recovery discs which are included in the box for that OS.

If you install the Win 8 and then at some point wish to revert to Win 7 it is a very good idea, as previously suggested, to create a set of recovery discs for the preinstalled Win 7.  There is no COA for Win 7 on the system due to it being installed through downgrade rights, the Win 7 license number is embedded in the image created on the recovery discs.

Microsoft also allowed computer manufacturers to do this when Vista and Win 7 first came onto the market with downgrades to the previous OS from the factory.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Garfield
Token Ring
Views: 3,657
Message 5 of 14

Hallo Andy,

This is what I have done until now:

1) I made a clone ( with an external dual dock ) from the original HDD.

It works flawless. I double-checked it.

2) Tomorrow I will try bo make the Win7 recovery disks.

3) And then I will try to install Windows 8.

The Windows 7 clone is temporarely, because I want to put in a SSD instead of the original HD.

Can I put in the SSD and run the 4 DVD's ? Or must I "format" the (new) SSD first ?

If that succeeds, I have A) a Windows 8 on a SSD     B) The original Windows 7 on the original HD + the recovery disks ( I I can manage that )

So the clone of the Windows 7 can be erased. ( are you still following ?  Man LOL )

By the way, these are my DVD's.

I got a plastic bag with 9 numbers but only 4 DVD's ? Strange ?

Oops, I can't see my pics ?????

[IMG]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc285/Marc-B1/foto4_zps725904f8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc285/Marc-B1/foto3_zps65036a26.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc285/Marc-B1/foto2_zps85db4305.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc285/Marc-B1/foto1_zps99de3205.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc285/Marc-B1/foto-1_zps0f8d7e67.jpg[/IMG]

PS: I will keep you informed !

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 3,649
Message 6 of 14

@Garfield wrote:

Can I put in the SSD and run the 4 DVD's ? Or must I "format" the (new) SSD first ?

Yes you can just go ahead and use the discs to install the SSD, there is no need to format it.

I wouldn't worry about the number of numbers on the plastic bag, the numbers on the discs are those which really matter and it seems youhave a full set.

On the whole it seems you will have a "belt and braces" backup of your Win 7 installation - kudos - enjoy!

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Garfield
Token Ring
Views: 3,615
Message 7 of 14

UPDATE:

1) I succeeded in making 1 startup DVD and 4 recovery DVD's for Windows 7.

2) After that I plugged in a new SSD and tried to install Windows 8 on the SSD.

Something odd happened: the recovery program detected more than 1 harddisk ???? althoug there was only 1 SSD in the computer.

But....on the original HD were some (recovery) partitions.....
But the original HD was OUT of the computer and the new SSD in the computer.....

The recovery program asked to format all the HD's ( but there was only yhe SSD ) or NOT.
I chose NOT and went futher....

Until... at some point the green installation bar seemed to have stopped.
And yes I know - must be patient Smiley Wink - but I really had the impression that it stopped.

Now my question:

1) Maybe the recovery (upgrade?) to Windows 8 doesn't work with a blanco SSD.

2) Maybe I must use the original Windows 7 harddisk.

( but in this case I can take my clone to experiment with )

Pffff.....rather confusing....

Garfield
Token Ring
Views: 3,572
Message 8 of 14

OK folks, problem solved Win8 is installed on the SSD....

The sequence of the DVD's that I had to suse was not always clear and obvoius.

And I had to run the setup twice....

The first time I was mislead by the green installing-progress-bar that seemed to haven stopped. ( but in fact it was busy a long long time... )

A SSD makes no noise, so it wat hard to judge if the installing porcedure took a long long time, or that it was crashed.

The second time I was more patience, and the installing of Windows 8 succeeded !

PS: I also thought the installing process on a SSD would be much much faster compared to the install on a ordinary harddisk.

But this is NOT the case.

Anyway, now I have Windows 8.

Next step is removing bloatware.... Smiley Wink

Guru
Views: 3,517
Message 9 of 14

Garfield, installing to an SSD isn't that much faster because the rate-determining step in the process is reading the information from the DVD, so the increased speed of the SSD doesn't help much. Installing on an HDD is like a garden hose feeding a river and the SSD is the same garden hose feeding an ocean. Water isn't coming any faster out of the hose. 

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
Garfield
Token Ring
Views: 3,375
Message 10 of 14

Ok , thanks for your feedback guys ! 

But now I encountered a second (little) problem: I can't acces BIOS settings with the F1key during booting time.....

I DO can acces the BIOS settings when I am in Windows:

Charm bar

Settings

Change PC settings

General

Restart in advanced setup

Troubleshoot

Advanced options

UEFI firmware settings

Following this way I can acces the BIOS.

But NOT when I boot up the laptop and pressing F1....

Does anyone know a solution ?  THX !!!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors