Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tansel
Paper Tape
Views: 924
Message 11 of 19

Re: New W540 BIOS 2.28

I hope this can be fixed very soon. I have problems with my Symantec Endpoint Protection now, it shows out-dated virus definitions even I update it. I am wondering it is about disabled DEP. I will reinstall it and figure out whether the problem is DEP related or not. Any idea on this?
KL8949
Paper Tape
Views: 899
Message 12 of 19

I have a W541 having the exact same issue.   After updating BIOS to 2.28 yesterday, I am no longer able to boot to Windows 7, can't boot original factory Windows 7 image, can't restore using Windows 7 repair disk, can't install new Windows 7 or Winodws 10.  Any attempt with Windows gets stuck trying to boot at CLASSPNP.SYS.  

After 10 hours of troubleshooting, I am 100% sure that this is a BIOS issue as that was the only and last thing I did before this problem.  

I would like to try the DEP settings, but I can't seem to find that option in my BIOS.  Could someone please explain where I might find it?    Thanks. 

Kevin

KL8949
Paper Tape
Views: 896
Message 13 of 19

Kudos to everyone here.  I was able to "fix" the problem following the previous link posted regarding DEP.  

I was able to boot Windows by disabling "Execution Prevention" in Security -> Memory Protection.   

Highlighted
sgk1980
What's DOS?
Views: 883
Message 14 of 19

Lenovo W540 bios upgrade to GNET80WW (2.28) unable to boot into any OS using any media

I have been using this Thinkpad W540 with 32GB ram , swapped out the blu-ray player for an additional ssd for over 2 years now . Today a new Bios upgrade occured , after the restart and the successfull flash of the bios it proceeds onto the Windows boot screen as well and then hangs . I see similar issues when i try to boot into linux on the other hard disk the cursor just blinks on the top of the screen after the lilo boot prompt and selection . Any idea what can be wrong or can be done to save this ?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 876
Message 15 of 19

Re: Lenovo W540 bios upgrade to GNET80WW (2.28) unable to boot into any OS using any media

@sgk1980,

I've moved your post to the existing thread on the topic.  Please try the work-around described up-thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T450-Windows-splash-freezes-after-BIOS-u...

TLDR: go to BIOS and turn off DEP:  "Execution Prevention" in tab Security -> Memory Protection.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

sgk1980
What's DOS?
Views: 866
Message 16 of 19

Re: Lenovo W540 bios upgrade to GNET80WW (2.28) unable to boot into any OS using any media

Thank you . Works like a charm for some reason i tried out every other BIOS setting last night before posting but missed this one . Money saved !!!! 

Former Employee
Views: 852
Message 17 of 19

In response to customer reports of ThinkPad notebook systems freezing after upgrading to a BIOS published in August or September 2016, Lenovo has investigated and found root cause.

More information can be found in this KB article: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/ThinkPad-Notebooks-Freezing-At-Boot-Up-A...

A customer-reported workaround for restoring normal boot up behavior can be found here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T450-Windows-splash-freezes-after-BIOS-u...

I will post again when the engineering Service TIP is published in the next day or two.

Thank you,

Former Employee
Views: 828
Message 18 of 19

In response to customer reports that after a BIOS update to some ThinkPads, the system may fail to boot, hanging on the Windows splash screen, Lenovo has provided a Service TIP detailing a workaround. A permanent solution will be provided via future BIOS update.

Please note that Think Engineering has been notified W541 is missing from the list, but is included for this issue since it shares a BIOS with W540.

The Service TIP can be found here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/sf16-t0079

Thank you,

cpratte
Paper Tape
Views: 796
Message 19 of 19

A few hours ago I run also on this issue on updating the BIOS on my W541 2.28. I was searching a some hours for a solution and tried quite a lot and finaly i found this thread.

The described BIOS settings resolved my problem.

In order to help others, I'll add a problem describtion and solution in German language to this post:

Nach BIOS update friert Windows beim booten beim Splash-Screen ein. Ebenso der automatische Reparaturvorgang oder ein booten von Windows von einem Startmedium.

Lösung: Deaktivierung von "Execution Prevention" im BIOS wie oben beschrieben löst dieses Problem im "workarround"

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors