Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulRGriffiths
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,473
Message 1 of 16

Not able to use NVIDIA GPU on Thinkpad P1 via Hybrid USB-C with USB-A dock

Recently purchased a Thinkpad P1 with Hybrid USB-C with USB-A dock.

Running Autodesk Inventor 2018

Laptop without the dock runs Inventor using the NVIDIA GPU no problem.  When connected to the dock the NVIDIA graphics are not available.  If I start NVIDIA Control Panel, I get the error "NVIDIA Display settings are not available", You are currently not using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU.

I've installed all the latest drivers but can't get it to work correctly.

Any help would be appreciated...

manii
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,390
Message 2 of 16

Betreff: Not able to use NVIDIA GPU on Thinkpad P1 via Hybrid USB-C with USB-A dock

i've also seen that if attached to the dock the nvidia gfx is not used. as listed in the device manager the dock seems to have it's own graphics card what is really weird in my opinion. i wonder if you have any other problems using the P1 with that dock? i've already a service request running, cause the dock makes several problems here. one is, that it simply doesn't support display port daisy chaining (i'm using 3 lenovo think-vision displays, 2 directly connected, 1 via daisy chain), the other one is, that the link to the dock brekas 1-2 times a day, causing the screens to flicker, lan connection to go down and usb devices to reinitialize and sometimes even the whole system locks up...

i wonder if the workstation dock would've been a better choice, but at the moment lenovo refuses to swap my usb-c with usb-a dock with the workstation dock...

looks to me as an unfinished product, pretty sad as the things (laptop and dock) are both high priced devices...

PaulRGriffiths
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,387
Message 3 of 16

Betreff: Not able to use NVIDIA GPU on Thinkpad P1 via Hybrid USB-C with USB-A dock

Hi Manii,

Yes, I've had some of the other issues you've stated.  I have two screens, one connected via Displayport, the other via HDMI.  If the screen switches off due to laptop power settings, when it wakes up the Displayport screen doesn't reconnect.  The only way to get it back is to disconnect and reconnect the cable.  I've also had a few complete lockups where both screens switch off so I have to open the laptop and carry out a restart.  Loss of wireless keyboard and mouse had also happened a few times.  All in all it's a very unstable laptop/dock combination.

The problem with the NVIDIA GPU is a bad one for me as it means I can't run Inventor 20188 using an external monitor.  Lenovo need to address thuis quickly of offer me a better dock solution.

The Hybrid UBC-C with USB-A dock was the only option when I purchased the P1 back in October.  I see now that there is a Thunderbolt dock as well.  Maybe this is more compatible with the P1?

I've not registered this as a fault yet, I guess I will need to to get a response from Lenovo?

...Paul

manii
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,382
Message 4 of 16

I also think that the dock itself may be the problem. I've tried to convince the technicians on the hotline that it may be a power issue, as there are lot's of devices connected and i don't think that the P1 gets enough power through the USB-C cable (i've the Xeon Version with the P2000). So i thought the Workstation dock with the combined power and usb-c connector would be better... but i don't want to spend another 350€ just to try it out and don't get my money back for the not working dock... the support told me i should talk to the shop where i bought the dock to get it swapped with the better one... well as the "shop" was lenovo itself just said that they'll escalate the ticket.

But at least they told me that there are multiple reports on issues with that laptop/dock combination and it may be a software issue for which they may provide a firmware update anytime soon (yes... i'm not very happy with that unprecise messages... but that is all the could tell me).

For now i've thrown the dock out of my setup, and connected all via cable to the laptop - that's the only way i can at least work with it, but thats no real solution... as i'm also constantly taking the laptop with me it's pretty annoying to (dis-)connect at least 6 cables all the time... i'll give you an update here if i hear anything from lenovo, but maybe you should open a support ticket yourself too, so they may spend more attention to the problem if more and more people report the issues.

PaulRGriffiths
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,380
Message 5 of 16

Thanks Manni, I've opened a service ticket also.  I'll leave this with Lenovo and let you know when I get a reply.

I'm not going to second guess the problem.  I just want a working dock with my P1.  At the moment I can only use Inventor if I disconnect the dock.  Totally unacceptable...

When I purchased this laptop/dock combination I specifically asked if I should have a Thunderbolt dock but was advised that the Hybrid USB-C and USB-A dock was the oly one that was compatible.  Since then, they've released two new Thunderbolt 3 docks...

...Paul

DesignEra
Paper Tape
Views: 1,341
Message 6 of 16

Re: Not able to use NVIDIA GPU on Thinkpad P1 via Hybrid USB-C with USB-A dock

Hi,

I bought a P52 with a Dock Ultra 4K (40N8) and i got the same issue : no discrete graphic board on any of the monitor ports on the dock.

I've contacted the french support but they told me to post on the forum ! They even don't know about this issue.

I've found a similar topic about an X1 Extreme in this forum.

Googling around, I've found this : Discrete NVIDIA with Display Link on Windows 10 (Display Link(r) support forum).

As I understand, this is about the way Windows 10 handle graphic low level stream. Lenovo is not alone in this case. This looks like a software issue.

At first I thought it was a HW issue and thought about buying an USB-C dock, but this is definitely not the right solution.

BTW, why Lenovo support staff isn't aware of this ?

Why QA service doesn't check this feature on these flagship thinkpads (P1, P52, X1Extreme, ...) despite the adds clearly show this use case ?

Why Lenovo doesn't team up with other manufacturers to handle this case ?

And WHY, WHY did Lenovo gave up on classic dock station ? It could be possible to add a dock connector on the side (see HP).

Thinkpads are/were(please not this) great laptops.

Regards,

Matt.

manii
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,302
Message 7 of 16

The technical support just told me that the Hybrid USB-C with USB-A dock simply isn't fully compatible with the laptop (esp. handling external displays in combination with descrete graphics cards). In my case it simply doesn't correctly pass through the Display Port daisy chained monitors. To the other problems concerning stability issues and total hangs they didn't even comment, as theses problems should also go away when switching to the (much more expensive) Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock (40AN).

So i just initiated the RMA process for the Hybrid dock and ordered the Workstation dock... hope the problems really disappear.

PaulRGriffiths
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,296
Message 8 of 16

Will the Thunderbolt 3 Workstation dock definately work with P1 NVIDIA GPU ?  I don't want to start an RMA for the hybrid USB-C and USB-A dock until I have some confirmation.

My current work-around is to disable the on-board graphics in BIOS (descrete only), run the external monitors via the dock but leave the laptop open.  Laptop lid closed doesn't work.  Not good for a super expensive laptop/dock combination...

I was hoping that someone from Lenovo might contribute to this discussion...

...Paul

DesignEra
Paper Tape
Views: 1,239
Message 9 of 16

Hi all,

I've not told about other issues with the dock :

• Ethernet port bandwith is half of the one of the laptop's port and this is only for ADSL rates of 200kB/s !
  • USB ports stability : external keyboard and mouse suddenly disappear.

Please could you check these points too ?

So as far as I understand, there is NO actual dock solution for all these laptops.

This is a shame for a brand like Lenovo and a big step backward for the Thinkpads particularly for all these high end models whom a dock station is realy usefull and realy used.

Lenovo don't forget that Thinkpads are for those who DO. So please, do it too.

Regards.

PaulRGriffiths
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,235
Message 10 of 16

I usually have a mouse and keyboard lockup (usb related) once a day.  I also get a full lockup about once a day where I lose the dock completely.  In this case I have to unplug the laptop, shut everything down, reconnect the dock and start everything up again.

I've registered a service ticket with Lenovo nearly a week ago but have heard nothing yet.

Surely anyone who purchases a P1 will use it with a dock.  In my opinion the current dock solution is not fit for purpose.

Anyone have any idea how I can get Lenovo to engage with this issue?

...Paul

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors