Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhilippHa
Paper Tape
Views: 49,304
Message 1 of 15

Not possible to boot from CD/USB in UEFI mode

I received a new P51 Laptop and I'd like to install linux on it (dual boot with Windows). CD/USB boots perfectly fine in legacy BIOS mode. But when I switch to UEFI only (even with Secure Boot disabled!), I can't boot from CD/USB anymore. In the boot menu (F12) the options are shown, but after selecting to boot from CD/USB, the screen goes black and quickly returns to the boot menu. The installation media contains an EFI loader, so this can't be the issue. Further secure boot is disabled. So - to my understanding - it should theoretically work. And I don't want to fall back to legacy BIOS boot.

Anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone have a suggestion on how to solve this issue?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 49,228
Message 2 of 15

Re: Not possible to boot from CD/USB in UEFI mode

Can you check if you are able to boot another CD/DVD in UEFI mode?  For example, the Windows 10 ISO?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 49,222
Message 3 of 15

Another option is to forget about the DVD and "burn" the ISO you're trying to use, to a USB key.  Using rufus or something similar. 

PhilippHa
Paper Tape
Views: 49,206
Message 4 of 15

Thank you for your answer! I tried as you suggested. I downloaded Windows 10, burned it on a DVD, set the system to UEFI only. Windows 10 Setup did not boot up from the DVD!... Same issue as when I try to boot a linux from DVD/USB. I searches the DVD, screen turns black, then - after three/four seconds - returns back to the UEFI boot drive selection menu (F12 menu).

I already tried starting linux from an USB stick. Same issue, the system does not boot in UEFI only mode...

It seems that all my attempts to boot a system from a DVD/USB strick in UEFI only mode fail. And so far I have not found any solution... Do you have another idea on how to solve this?

My currently only solution is unfortunately this one: boot and set up the computer in legacy bios mode... :-(

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 49,204
Message 5 of 15

I know for sure that my P51 boots to USB stick in UEFI mode.  I have never tried a CD/DVD so that's why I was unsure about that.  Let's focus on the USB stick.  Is it formatted as FAT32?  Because that's the only way that UEFI can boot to it.  Just to double-check, what ISO are you using and where did you download it?  I will try the same ISO here.

PhilippHa
Paper Tape
Views: 49,190
Message 6 of 15

Ok, here we go...

I downloaded the newest debian net-installer from: https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/debian-9.1.0-i386-netinst.iso

created a USB stick using linux command:

dd if=debian-9.1.0-i386-netinst.iso of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M

(basically the same like using a Disk Imaging tool in Windows)

Then I rebooted the P51, set it to UEFI only and tried to boot from the USB stick: as expected it does not work. Does your P51 boot?

I then investigated the USB stick (to check what you mentioned: if we have a FAT32):

running fdisk /dev/mmcblk0:

Device         Boot Start    End Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/mmcblk0p1 *        0 767999  768000  375M  0 Empty
/dev/mmcblk0p2       3792   4399     608  304K ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)

so we have a FAT EFI boot partition.

diving in a bit further:

#> file -s /dev/mmcblk0p2
/dev/mmcblk0p2: DOS/MBR boot sector, code offset 0x3c+2, OEM-ID "mkfs.fat", sectors/cluster 4, root entries 512, sectors 608 (volumes <=32 MB) , Media descriptor 0xf8, sectors/FAT 1, sectors/track 32, heads 64, reserved 0x1, serial number 0x8fa76ba1, unlabeled, FAT (12 bit)

so the EFI boot partition is a FAT-12 (not FAT32). But according to my knowledge UEFI standard states that the computer firmware must be able to read FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32.

Any suggestions? Does your P51 boot with the iso linked at the beginning?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 49,181
Message 7 of 15

I'm not a debian expert, but your link appears to be a 32-bit (i386) version of the OS.  UEFI firmware can only boot to 64-bit OS.  So please try amd64 version of your OS (not i386 version).  If you still can't get it working, I will try it myself on Monday.  If you insist on using 32-bit version then legacy mode is your only choice.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 49,174
Message 8 of 15

Are you creating the installation media on a machine running in UEFI mode?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 49,168
Message 9 of 15

@someotherguy wrote:

I'm not a debian expert, but your link appears to be a 32-bit (i386) version of the OS.  UEFI firmware can only boot to 64-bit OS.  So please try amd64 version of your OS (not i386 version).  If you still can't get it working, I will try it myself on Monday.  If you insist on using 32-bit version then legacy mode is your only choice.

That's definitely a 32 bit UEFI ISO.  You need the amd64 version as stated above.

Debian UEFI 32 Bit ISO.PNG

Actually good to know that there are 32-bit UEFI ISOs available.  That's been an issue in the past for the rare machines that had 32-bit BIOSen but were UEFI-only.  People had to hand-build install images.

[edit] Ubuntu 17.04 i386 still isn't UEFI-bootable Smiley Sad

BTW, if your dd method works for you great.  From a Windows machine I use 7zip to extract ISO contents to FAT32-formatted flash drives with a single partition.  Works fine with Ubuntu and the other Debian-based distros I've tried.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

PhilippHa
Paper Tape
Views: 49,135
Message 10 of 15

That's the solution of course... Thank you very much! I've been working years with i386 so I never questioned it. Totally lost sight that amd64 (or any orher 64bit OS) is needed... Stupit mistake from my side, but thank you for the eye opener! I already have linux up and running in UEFI mode.

We're moving

To a new platform very soon

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors