Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lite1
Serial Port
Views: 924
Message 1 of 4

Nvidia FX880M graphics driver & Nvidia control panel problems

W510 unable to utilize 3D graphics even though per Lenovo website my dirver is up to date.

Running original W7 pro 64 bit and using original Nvidia graphics card Quadro FX 880M.

Driver from Lenovo version 9.18.13.1269 released Dec. 1, 2013 (http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS013622)

I am on trial version of a floor plan/house designing software which is higly regarded and costly ($200) so don't think problem is with software. I definitely meet the minimum specs for software except for one:

It needs graphics card to be able to run OpenGL 2.1 or higher in order to render 3D views of plan. Software (herafter noted as HDA) has determined that my graphics card is only offering OpenGL 1.0, and recommends driver update.

So after talking with their tech support, I tried Nvidia driver 340.52 from Nvidia website released early July 2014. This was a catastrophe; still no 3D rendering, and numerous problems with even email or web browser and enormous system slow down. The Nvidia driver update also installed Nvidia Control Panel (also audio drivers). While Nvidia Control Panel opened it then went back and forth between Windows showing that it was "Not Responding" to briefly showing home screen of Control Panel (hereafter NCP). Never could access anything in NCP.

HDA tech support wanted me to un-install NCP which I was unable to do other than using a WIndows system restore point, so I am back to square one with my lenovo graphics driver, and trial software that works in 2D but not in 3D.

Your thoughts and suggestions please:

1) Is there a source for a more recent Nvidia driver than what I am using (9.18.13.1269) that allows me to just update the driver without also installing Nvidia Control Panel?

2) It seems that the W510 as shipped did NOT ahve NCP installed and until the above I am fairly certain that NCP has never been on my laptop. Is HDA tech support correct in assuming that I do NOT want NCP as it might be creating problems with windows interaction with controlling and displaying graphics?

3) THe rule of thumb I had learned for laptops (rather than desktops) is that it is often best to only use graphics/video driver from mfg. of laptop rather than updates from graphics card mfg. I don't do gaming and don't need any new features (or gaming bug fixes that a more recent driver might offer).

4) Back in 2010 this forum thread and a few similar ones indicated problems with W510 this graphics card and an earlier version of the driver from lenovo, although one forum member whose biz had dozens of W510 running various CAD programs had no problems; nonetheless, it seems like this issue might have been lurking for me and my laptop for years but since I never needed much in the way of 3D rendering I was not aware of it.

I'd be extremely grateful for your expertise and suggestions.

Just now: While I do not use Google Earth that much, I just forced it to use OpenGL for displaying rather than DirectX, and GE does NOT seem to have any problem. This makes me wonder whether the software that I am trying out might indeed be the culprit afterall/

Guru
Views: 896
Message 2 of 4

Re: Nvidia FX880M graphics driver & Nvidia control panel problems

AFAIK NVIDIA requires the NCP to be installed with it's driver package.

Did you do a clean install of the 340.52 driver? Sometimes in-place upgrading NVIDIA drivers doesn't end well. Also try to exclude 3D Vision from the install.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
lite1
Serial Port
Views: 884
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for information. Yes, at least from my recent experience I was unable to update the driver without simultaneously having Nvidia also install Nvidia control panel (even though once it was installed it failed to open from the short cut icon, or to open in any other manner). Yes, I did do a clean installation when I "reverted" back to the OEM Lenovo original graphics driver. And yes in one of my attempts I unchecked the 3D vision driver.

Unfortuantely none of these things helped. Upon further discussion with a different tech support person at software vendor I realize that while my graphics card seemingly meet the minimum requirements it is really quite marginal and will not give very high quality 3D rendering via OpenGL. I am trying to deicide whether after close to 4 years it is time to upgrade my computer; most likely for a moderate level graphics desktop workstation.

While my issue is not resolved, I am not sure I need anything more from the forum at this time. Thanks for the help so far.

Guru
Views: 866
Message 4 of 4

Dunno what else to try except intermediate driver versions.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors