Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdmba
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,844
Message 371 of 395

Re: W series shipping thread

My Firm has used Dell forever, Several years ago I bought a ThinkPad for my Daughter to use at college. The Laptop has been great and CS excellent.

SO I decided on 12/1 to order a w500 to test for my firm (I plan to add or replace about 25 laptops next year).

The delivery date was set for 12/28, on 12/28 the date was moved to 1/18. Is this an indication of a slipshod organization?

Should I stick with dell for my business computing purposes?

Let me know what you think.

A very dissatisfied customer

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,162
Message 372 of 395
Moved:

AdvisorToFSIs
Paper Tape
Views: 1,702
Message 373 of 395

Here is my experience. Ordered a fully loaded W700 on 11/25/09. Initial ship date was 12/2. On 12/2, I checked and it had moved to 12/11.  Not a big problem, but I called because I wanted to expense it this year (this would have saved me $1,000+ in taxes).  After a long hold the CSR assured me it would ship this year, and said the new date of 12/18 was good, also they would assign "priority status" to the order to make sure it gets shipped "on time". Called again on 12/15, and was told that WACOM digitizers were delayed; I offered to cancel that component and was told that it would send me to the back of the queue. Was advised that parts were due week of 12/21, and it would be completed no later than 12/22.  On 12/21 the date was changed to 12/25. I called to remind them that I needed the PC this year, and needed to do a migration over the holiday when my time isn't billable.  Again, they assured me it would ship by the date specified, but no later than the week specified. When I inquired about canceling the order, so I could buy something else in stock and have it shipped, I was told "Not to worry, it will ship much, much earlier than the date specified".  I also asked about changing my shipping method to air express, and was told that that would send my order back to the end of the queue. On 12/25 the date was changed to 12/28.  On 12/29 it is still not shipped, and then I received an Order Cancellation Notice sent by Lenovo on 12/29 because the order has gone more than 30 days (requiring a notice and option to cancel by federal regulation).  I call and am told again, not to worry, and that it will ship "much, much earlier" than the date indicated, and to to ignore the message.  Of course, since much, much earlier than yesterday isn't possible, I realize we have a major communication problem between the Indian Call Center, Chinese Manufacturing site and reality .  Of course, the moral of the story is that it didn't ship by 12/31, so I haven't been billed, and I lose the tax deduction (did I mention Lenovo, that this will cost me $1,000). Also, it didn't come during the holidays, so that will cost me a billable day in 2010 (more than the price of the PC). Of course, on 1/1/10, the new shipping date indicates Jan. 6, 2010, which given the track record has zero chance of actually occurring.   The only good news is that I advise strategic sourcing groups at large banks and investment houses that purchase tens of thousands of PC's per year, and really look forward to sharing this story with our clients.

jayanthd
Punch Card
Views: 1,501
Message 374 of 395

2757CT   CONFIGURED SYSTEM

42X6339   SBB INT.CORE2DUOPROCT9600        
        45M3090   VBB GENUWIN7PROFES.64        
        45M4371   SBB GENUINE WIN 7 PR 64 US EN        
        43Y4806   SBB 17"WUXGA400NITLCD+10.6"WXG        
        43Y4816   SBB NVIDIA QUADRO FX2700        
        42X6309   VBB 4GBPC3-8500 1067MHZ2DIMM        
        42X6355   SBB KYB US ENGLISH        
        43Y4809   SBB ULNAV+FPR+PNCOLSENSWACOM        
        43Y5204   SBB INTERRAID-CONFIG.BYLENOVO        
        43Y5205   SBB PRMSATA RAID 0(2HDDSREQ        
        43Y4823   SBB RAID HDD,160GB HDD,7200RPM        
        43Y4819   SBB DVD REC 8X MAXULTRENHSATA        
        43Y4802   VBB COMPACTFLASH+EXPCARD(34MM        
        42X6325   SBB INT.WIFI LINK5300        
        43Y4810   SBB 9 CELL LI-ION BATTERY        
        43Y4832   SBB C PACK NA        
        45M4296   SBB LANG PACK US ENG WIN7        
        44C9186   SBB NORTONANTIV.2009-36MONTHS        
        44C6783   SBB ODD SW FOR DVD REC, VISTA        
        41C9335   2YR Depot + 2YR ADP

Its been Soooo long ago that I ordered this item on December 1, but it will probably arrive at my doorstep tomorrow January 06 all the way from Shanghai. I had asked for a RAID 1 configuration, but looks like they have (as per this info) made a RAID 0. The shipping date was delayed twice and I had no confirmatory email regarding my order until I called them up about 10 days after the order. My experience with ordering the T60 P three years ago was similar and I found out not to Touch the order till it gets shipped since any small hiccup mentioned puts you into a "new ordering cycle". I am not sure what lenovo's business/ordering end is doing but I have a consistent impression with two data points three years apart that they need to get their act together. Its not as if Dell and Apple are not dealing in similar or larger numbers. However, once a lenovo addict forever a lenovo addict. (like Indian food- the food sells itself inspite of the lack of ambience!) I had my T60 P painted a glossy green by Colorware, but it looks like this option is not available any more. The matte black is a fingerprint oil attractant and I wish Lenovo would change that.

That’s it, Happy new Year etc!

Jay

jayanthd
Punch Card
Views: 1,723
Message 375 of 395

Follow on

It was delivered Today Smiley Happy

Now to discover what is there and what is not - especially the RAID 0 Vs RAID 1 configuration

JD

hsieh
Core Memory
Views: 1,654
Message 376 of 395

TWO days EARLIER than the latest estimated date - just received W700ds shipping notice today

Wow! The initial order was placed on Dec 10, change to the order made on Dec 20, the latest estimate shipping date is Jan 08, shipping notice received today - January 6 - on the eve of Orthodox Christmas !!!

Order details:

W700ds with Core2 Duo 2.80GHz processor, 4GB RAM, two 320GB HDDs, Intel 2GB Turbo drive, X-Rite color sensor and WACOM digitizer (added on Dec 20), everything else are pretty much standard.

I got it at the bargain close-out price. No complain for the price and the repeatedly postponed delivery date.

Thanks Lenovo, at least I can play with the "W700ds" one or two months before the new "W710ds" officially comes out, LOL!

HAPPY ORTHODOX CHRISTMAS !!! 

God bless Lenovo and all of you guys !!! 

jayanthd
Punch Card
Views: 1,629
Message 377 of 395

Re: TWO days EARLIER than the latest estimated date - just received W700ds shipping notice today

Hsieh,

not to rain on your party, but you will probably have to deal with the "hollow" keyboard. Be advised that you have the ability to call tech support and ask them to ship out  sturdier keyboard- trust me you will need this if they are still sending out the kind of keyboard as on my machine received two days ago. There is a separate thread on this topic on this forum, but the gist is that the keys around the "P" key flex downwards in a  very flimsy fashion. I am awaiting my keyboard which is a FRU- you have to do the replacement yourself.

Jay

AdvisorToFSIs
Paper Tape
Views: 1,599
Message 378 of 395

Here is my latest update: January 6th shipping date was of course missed. Now the new shipping date is 1/14. The real rub is that they never notify me when they change dates. No emails. No calls. I have go to their site the day after it is supposed to ship each time to find out that it has changed yet again to another week out.  This is a lot like waking up on Christmas morning, and finding nothing under the tree.  "But don't worry" the Lenovo indian call center guys says "Santa will come next week". Hey Virgina, Lenovo killed Santa Claus. 

hsieh
Core Memory
Views: 1,594
Message 379 of 395

Re: TWO days EARLIER than the latest estimated date - just received W700ds shipping notice today

Jay:

Thanks very much for the information. Please keep me informed on your keyboard placement, and any other issue you may have on the W700. I'll appreciate it.

Pardon my ignorance, what is "FRU"?! 

Hsieh

schmidtj
802.11n
Views: 1,592
Message 380 of 395

Field Replaceable Unit

Basically the Part Number

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors