cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Views: 87,745

When buying additional memory DIMMs for ThinkPad W510 systems, Lenovo recommends that you populate the memory DIMM slots in the following order to take advantage of the best system performance. This memory DIMM slot order is optimized for dual channel memory configurations.

302iF4BE9341F0C7FF14

For ThinkPad W510 systems, populate memory DIMM slots in the following order:

• For systems with only 1 memory DIMM installed, populate DIMM Slot 0 (the upper memory DIMM slot underneath the keyboard).
  •  

• For systems with 2 memory DIMMs installed, place the largest memory DIMM capacity into DIMM Slot 0, and place the second memory DIMM in DIMM Slot 1 (the memory DIMM slot under the DIMM door on the bottom of the system nearest the optical drive).
  •  

• For systems with 3 memory DIMMs installed, place the largest memory DIMM into DIMM slot 0, place the second largest DIMM in DIMM slot 1, and place the third memory DIMM in DIMM Slot 2 (the lower memory DIMM slot underneath the keyboard).

• For systems with 4 memory DIMMs installed, place the largest memory DIMM into DIMM slot 0, place the second largest DIMM in DIMM slot 1, place the third largest DIMM in DIMM Slot 2, and place the fourth DIMM in DIMM Slot 3 (the memory DIMM slot underneath the DIMM door on the bottom of the system nearest the 1394 port).
Essentially, populate the ram in pair (slot 0 + 1 or slot 2 +3) to get the best dual channel performance. Also, make sure you get ram pair that has the same speed rating, i.e. 1333 mhz DDR3 ram should pair with 1333 mhz ram, and 1066 mhz ram with 1066 mhz ram, in either slot 0+1 or slot 2+3.
Not all W510 models have 4 memory slots - some only have two. Check PSREF for specific model reference.

Was this information helpful?

Comments
TuuS

Great article, thanks to all who contributed

Gurunix

Lenovo Thinkpad W510; Type 4389-AB8

I have installed 4 dimms of 4GB and 10600, one in each of four slots.

In the "System" window, (Windows 10), I see only 8GB.

I had 4x4GB=16GB installed.

This was working well, showing 4x4GB=16GB before.

I had this put away for a few weeks, removing all the four dimms, since I needed to use the dimms installed on another laptop. When I finally got around to repalce the dimms, I got into this problem.

Any help in fixing this is greatly appreciated.

ACG_BOL

I want to upgrade my HD to SSD disk.

Hox much is the maximun capacity of SSD that i have to buy..?

I have a lenovo W510.

How luch is the maximun ram memory that i can buy..?

earlwer

FYI: I am still using my W510. This is the high-end model 43192RU, with 4 RAM slots.

I installed 4 x 8GB Corsair PC3-12800J Part# CMSX8GX3M1A1600C10

That makes a total of 32GB.

I am running Win7 Pro.

So, if you still have one of these, you can get up to 32GB...

I verified it with CPU-Z.