Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wsfrazier
Paper Tape
Views: 126
Message 1 of 2

P Series w/ MXM

Do the P53 or P73 laptops have swappable graphics via MXM port, or something similar? If I buy a machine, is it stuck with the graphics card I order with it? If so, how about the P52/P72 or P51/71? If I buy 2nd hand, I'd like to have the option to upgrade the graphics.

Thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 112
Message 2 of 2

Re: P Series w/ MXM

I haven't taken one apart but I believe that the P51/P71 models have a separate card but the P52/P72 and later do not.  Having said that, I believe that it is virtually impossible to find the parts to do the upgrade.  I have a P70 and I looked into the possibility of upgrading the graphics but I could never find a Lenovo-branded cards.  I believe that the major makers have custom firmware on the cards and they cannot be exchanged.  Generic cards and ones for other brands don't work.  I just checked as I am typing this and if you want to buy a Q5 card for the P71 from Encompass (the source for Lenovo parts), the listed price is 3,778.95, while a Q3 card is "only" 998.81.  I would be unlikely to buy either at those prices, but they do say that they are "in stock".

You should assume that whatever you buy initially, that is the graphics card chip you will have

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors