Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jblcclbj
Punch Card
Views: 846
Message 1 of 16

P-series issue: trackpad shedding particulates

I've had my P70 for about two months now, and the trackpad is still shedding small sand-like particulates during use; they grind under the fingers and are very annoying to constantly clear out. It is definitely not dust, none of my other previous (or current) laptops have this symptom.

Has anyone else experienced this on the P-series trackpads, and if so, what was your solution?

Oa421AmlCQ
Punch Card
Views: 794
Message 2 of 16

Re: P-series issue: trackpad shedding particulates

Can you post a picture?

jblcclbj
Punch Card
Views: 741
Message 3 of 16

I tried to take some photos, but the particulates are so small they're hard to make out in photos. I do see a small glint by eye, though, and those go away after wiping.

I see these same glinting particles in the trackpack material, so i'm confident they are coming from the trackpad surface.

Maximus2016
Token Ring
Views: 719
Message 4 of 16

I have not seen this on the P50.

jblcclbj
Punch Card
Views: 658
Message 5 of 16

Thanks for the additional info. Anyone feel it on their P70?

I think I'll have to ask lenovo to come and replace the trackpad. This is quite annoying to use as-is...good thing for the in-home warranty, although it shouldn't be required for something like this...this just shouldn't happen on a new machine.

Guru
Views: 650
Message 6 of 16

I can see the glint of particles, but nothing is shedding on my P70. Are you sure that it is coming from the trackpad?

P53 XEON 2276 BIOS 1.19 OLED UHD 4K Multi-touch display, 96GB RAM, RTX5000, RAID 1, 1TB x 2 Samsung PM981, 1TB PM981, WWAN
P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.32, 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.25,Xeon Processor, 4k UHD IPS multi-touch display, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1

I am not an employee nor an agent of Lenovo.
jblcclbj
Punch Card
Views: 581
Message 7 of 16

Yes, I am sure. I don't have it on any of my other laptops with trackpads.

Lenovo, could you comment on this issue? I've had this laptop for many months now, and the problem hasn't been reducing.

jblcclbj
Punch Card
Views: 471
Message 8 of 16

I also just tried out a second P70 and a P50 -- they all exhibit the same problem of small particulates coming off of the trackpad. That's 3 out of 3 machines.

Anyone else seeing this as well?

DAVader
802.11n
Views: 442
Message 9 of 16

P50/P70 touchpads are made of a glass-like material that shouldn't shed any particulates.

I use my Touchpad only ocassionaly and it's totally smooth. TP surface should remain smooth regardless of how frequently is used, though (except for abuse, of course)

We have many Thinkpads at work and, after asking their users, none of them have this particular issue.

I would definitely contact Lenovo on this as it doesn't feel normal (no pun intented)

Views: 425
Message 10 of 16

Interesting -- are there two trackpad versions? The 3 P-series laptops i've tried have definitely NOT been a glass trackpad.  My macbook trackpads are more like glass, but they're very different than the P series.

The P series are made from a seemingly composite material -- the closest analogy i can think of being a wood particle board that's been sanded down smooth. Those particles (the shiny glints in the trackpad) are what are coming out and constantly frustratingly rolling under the fingertips (they're kind of sharp and angled pieces).

Thanks for checking with your team.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors