Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Andy_Melb
Paper Tape
Views: 535
Message 1 of 6

P1 Bricked after disabling AMT in BIOS

Hey everyone,

Last night I disabled AMT in the BIOS and now I'm unable to boot, it's just a few keyboard light flashes and a black screen indefinitely. I've heard that turning on BIOS assist for Thunderbolt, or changing from discrete to hybrid graphics can brick the older BIOS versions. I'm running 1.17, I believe. Has anyone heard of disabling AMT bricking a system? Any thoughts?

Regards Andy

dThirteen
Punch Card
Views: 509
Message 2 of 6

Re: P1 Bricked after disabling AMT in BIOS

I don't recall the details, but there were further bricking issues with 1.17 after fixing the hybrid/discrete graphics bricking issue. 1.18 apparently now fixes all known bricking, but after installing it you cannot downgrade to previous releases. You'll have to log a ticket with Lenovo.
Matt.
ThinkPad P1: i7-8850H, P2000, FHD, 32GB, 512GB.
Andy_Melb
Paper Tape
Views: 493
Message 3 of 6

Hey dThirteen,

Thanks for the reply, after disconnection of the main battery and CMOS battery, following the "how to remove the power on password" section in the P1/X1 Extreme Hardware Maintenance Manual, it seems to have come good, so it wasn't actually totally bricked, the BIOS was just confused / in some intermediate non-working state. So it might not be directly related to the ThunderBolt, Hybrid/Discrete graphics bricking.

Importantly, just disconnecting the CMOS battery didn't work for me, it had to be the main battery and the CMOS backup. Luckily both connectors are fairly easily accessible on this model. After I did the battery disconnection and reconnection, I noticed that the computer rebooted itself several times, without any visible feedback on the screen. Maybe it was able to complete something that was half-finished.

I just successfully updated to the v1.18 BIOS, I have to say, I'm disappointed at the problems this computer's BIOS has caused. Glad I was able to fix this problem though.

jackfetter
Paper Tape
Views: 420
Message 4 of 6

I made a few settings on X1 Extreme, Supervisor Password, Boot Password and now that you mentuion it, turned OFF AMT and yes, bricked it exactly in the same way you mention, a few keyboard lights then nothing, no display, nothing at all but a few keybord lights initially. Just got my system, purchased 02/05, received 02/08, bricked a few hours later...

Jack

jackfetter
Paper Tape
Views: 412
Message 5 of 6

Didn't work for me <sigh>, looks like it's got to go back...

Jack

Andy_Melb
Paper Tape
Views: 314
Message 6 of 6

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that Jack. If you still have it, just try pushing the power button to turn it on and leaving it for a while, like a good 5 minutes or so. After I reconnected the battery, I didn't get any visual feedback for quite some time while the system rebooted itself.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors