Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kharper
Fanfold Paper
Views: 433
Message 1 of 8

P1 Fan Turns On When Laptop is Turned Off

Hello,

I recently purchased a P1 Thinkpad. When I'm in the office I use it as a desktop - I have it plugged into my monitor and I have sleep turned off so my laptop can remain closed. With this setup everything works well but as soon as I shutdown my laptop, the laptop fan turns on at full speed. The fan will remain on at full speed until I remove power from the HDMI input (either remove power to the monitor or unplug the HDMI cable).

Any idea what is going on? It's not a big deal, just very annoying that I can't leave my monitor plugged into my laptop.

Thanks

spocko
SCSI Port
Views: 403
Message 2 of 8

Re: P1 Fan Turns On When Laptop is Turned Off

This seems like a configuration issue. I have a similar setup with an external keyboard/monitor and keeping the laptop closed, exept my monitor is connected via USB-C instead of HDMI. When I shutdown or put the computer to sleep, it works as expected.

If you haven't already updated to BIOS 1.18, maybe do that and then reset the BIOS settings to factory default, and see if that helps.

spocko
SCSI Port
Views: 397
Message 3 of 8

Just noticed a similar thread here:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Thinkpad-P1-fan-is-running-full-throttle...

It doesn't appear to have a solution, but at least it shows that you are not alone with this issue.

Kharper
Fanfold Paper
Views: 382
Message 4 of 8

Thanks.

That does sound similar but my situation is extra odd because I'm not just putting the computer to sleep, I'm shutting it off.

I called Lenovo and they asked me to ship my laptop to them for service (it's under warranty). That's a pretty big inconvenience though. I may try plugging in the monitor with a usb C instead of HDMI and see if that makes a difference.

Kharper
Fanfold Paper
Views: 275
Message 5 of 8

I still have had no luck correcting this issue.

Another problem is that the fan turns on when the laptop goes to sleep. To make matters worse, the laptop goes to sleep every 2 minutes and I cannot fix this. I've adjusted the power settings everyway possible and my laptop still goes to sleep within 2 minnutes of not being used and then the fan turns on full blast. This is beyond frustrating.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 272
Message 6 of 8

The 2 minute sleep issue sounds like System Unattended Sleep Timeout.  Have you tried adjusting that?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-1xx-3xx-5xx-7xx/Ideapad-120S-going-into-idle-all-the-tim...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

spocko
SCSI Port
Views: 263
Message 7 of 8

Yeah, my P1 also had that problem where it would go to sleep after a minute or 2. The solution that you linked to was the answer.

Kharper
Fanfold Paper
Views: 128
Message 8 of 8

This is a solution to the quick sleep cycle but it does not solve the original issue of my fan remaining on at full blast when the computer is in sleep mode or turned off.

This should not be considered a solution to the thread.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors