10-14-2019

US

1 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 1 of 10

P1 gen 2 freezing

2019-10-14, 20:50 PM

My new P1 gen 2 has frozen three times. Only a cold boot will fix it. It has Windows 2016 Server installed.

Options

28 Posts

01-26-2019

US

62 Signins

800 Page Views

• Views: 800
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: P1 gen 2 freezing

2019-10-15, 1:58 AM

I have had the exact same experience with my P1; am discussing my situation in this forum post.

Things you can check:

- all Windows drivers, software update
  - make sure you have latest BIOS

- run a memory check utility

In my post you can read about the various support encounters I've had, including 2x motherboard on-site repairs, replacinh my laptop's NVMe, and now I've had to ship it away for remote depot repair.

Please update your experience here. Including another forum member who "Me Too'd" my post, you would be the third P1 owner reporting this. Hopefully your incident is driver/BIOS related and not bad hardware, or something more systemic with this line of machines.

Options

40 Posts

05-31-2019

KR

99 Signins

1102 Page Views

• Views: 1102
  • Message 3 of 10

2019-10-15, 13:29 PM

I can't say it's a solution but if everything doesn't work, you can try turn on discrete mode instead of hybrid mode in bios.

This solve my freezing and bsod.

Options

28 Posts

01-26-2019

US

62 Signins

800 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2019-10-15, 22:10 PM

Sure, toggling the display mode to 'Discrete' from 'Hybrid' in the BIOS is worth a shot, OP. Perhaps that will address your freezes. For me, that made no difference; freezing occurred in both modes.

Options

40 Posts

05-31-2019

KR

99 Signins

1102 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2019-10-16, 11:53 AM

I forgot to mention, I know a guy who owns a P1 and experienced a little bit different situation, his machine encountered BSOD frequently and nothing could help it until he replaced wlan card. His machine now is working perfectly after he recovered the BIOS to factory mode and replaced failed wlan card. 

In my case, which is actually a different machine (P52) with similar components (Xeon, ECC RAM, same wlan card, etc), also experienced frequent freezing and bsod, now works well after following procedures.

1. Turn on discrete mode in BIOS.

2. Update latest wlan driver.

3. Update TB3 firmware.

4. Uninstall intel XTU utility. 

I am not 100% sure which step actually fixed the problem, but I believe the most suspective one is intel graphics because everytime bsod or freezing happens, I was always playing video/audio on youtube. In case of intel xtu, it sometimes altered system state (cpu voltage, current limit) without my action/permission. So I thought bsod with WHEA error may be related to intel XTU driver. 

For this problem, I wasted more than 2-3 weeks, and here is what I tried but didn't work.

1. Reinstall OS/drivers.

2. Replacing RAM/SSD/WLAN/keyboard/adaptor.

3. CPU/GPU stress test and RAM test all passed, no failure/error detected.

4. BIOS initialized to factory release.

I think random freezing is the most painful symtom one can experienced because it gives no clue at all. The only thing I can do is trying to find out what pattern could trigger it with countless attempts. If literally, it's really "random", RAM is the most suspective one, otherwise, like in my case, pattern like "playing video on youtube" could lead to "failed graphics". 

May this helps.

Options

28 Posts

01-26-2019

US

62 Signins

800 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2019-10-16, 14:24 PM

Wow, this sounds great; getting better by the day. So the P series seems to have issues with wifi cards, graphics chip/driver. Already know about the rogue BIOS version that bricked folks laptops earlier in the year. I've had my motherboard replaced 2x now. I was sent a new NVMe in the hopes that would solve my hard freeze issue (it did not). Just before sending my P1 out for depot repairs, I ran memtest86 , and that reported massive amount of failures in read/writing to RAM, and that run of memtest actually locked up before completing (never seen that before). Neither the motherboard replacements nor NVMe swap-out has solved my freeze issue; hopefully the depot repair does (crossing my fingers?).

Sorry to call the glass half empty, but at some point all of this paints a bad picture for Lenovo, or at least this P series hardware.

Starting to worry this was not a wise purchase...

Options

40 Posts

05-31-2019

KR

99 Signins

1102 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2019-10-16, 16:09 PM

Actually I gave up thinking about worth of purchase after all these BSODs, dumb touchpad, freezing, etc.

But I am quite sure next time I would never spend thousands bucks on a single laptop. 

For professional usage, I guess Thinkpad, Macbook pro and Precision are handful options one can choose.

But reality is:

Thinkpad        Macbook Pro        Precision

Hardware endurance             Average            Worst                      Best

Drivers/Firmwares                   Worst         Average(acceptable)  Average (not good)

OS stability                               Worst                Average                  Worst

Keyboard                                  Best                 Worst(butterfly)      Average

Touchpad                                 Worst                Best                         Average

Price                                          Worst                Worst                      Worst

If someone was a billionare like Zuckerberg, got trouble,  just buy a new one. If not, hey, don't forget bring your laptop to the grave.

Yes, we got warranty, but remember never ever make MB damaged. Every replaced MB from lenovo is refurbished, that means replaced MB was damaged somehow in the past and I strongly doubt problem is completely fixed.

I miss old days, laptops were well-made and you can use one for years. Nowadays, mobile workstations are just expensive junks.

Options

4 Posts

08-06-2019

US

7 Signins

59 Page Views

• Views: 59
  • Message 8 of 10

2019-12-04, 23:17 PM

I am experiencing the same thing and do have YouTube playing in another browser for music.  I do have discrete mode turned on and latest greatest for updates.  I don't have XTU installed so can't do that.  These freezes are very irritating.  Twice today already!

Options

129 Posts

11-12-2019

IL

225 Signins

3495 Page Views

• Views: 3495
  • Message 9 of 10

2019-12-05, 11:55 AM

Ordered a P1 Gen2 for my client and had it randomly freeze. Plus the LCD was flickering and glitching badly in HDR mode (any change to the picture would make the the brightness change significantly). It was as I remember HDR 400, FHD screen. I suspected that the screen was actually causing these issues but it could be anything. Returned the laptop for a refund. The service lab that checked it said that the issue was with the motherboard but I don't know if I can really trust their conclusion.

Curious what screens do other people who have this issue have in their computers and whether you have HDR enabled.

Options

4 Posts

08-06-2019

US

7 Signins

59 Page Views

• Views: 59
  • Message 10 of 10

2019-12-06, 15:59 PM

Well I ran MemTest86 last night and the computer was frozen this morning. I should've taken a screenshot but IIRC the test froze during pass 2 but there weren't any errors detected at the time.

I'm not sure what to do at this point, but the frequency is increasing. Yesterday the computer froze up during a GoToMeeting which is unacceptable. Going to open a service ticket.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save