cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
didierw
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,534
Message 1 of 9

P1 owners FHD vs 4k? Some feedback to share?

Hi,

Still considering to buy a P1 with FHD (because of the non glossy and battery life) vs the 4k ... which I have to admit looks gorgeous.

Beside that BIOS brick lenovo disaster .... I'm still considering to buy a P1:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Some-recent-ThinkPads-can-be-destroyed-by-changing-a-UEFI-BIOS-setting...

How happy are you with your P1 and 4k or FHD screen?

Thanks for your feedback.

Didier

kevin_jarrett
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,533
Message 2 of 9

Re: P1 owners FHD vs 4k? Some feedback to share?

Love mine - it's bright, clear and crisp. Minimal/no light bleed. I'm sure the 4K panel is goregous BUT there's no way it would have the battery life I need. Heck, as it is, my P1 doesn't hold a candle to my T450s w/the 72wHr battery, but, that's an unfair comparison, completely different machines. I haven't done a full run-down test yet but I'm thinking my P1 should go 6 hours at least with the kind of usage I do, which isn't super-intensive. Maybe more. I'm also finding that turning down the display brightness to the lowest usable setting helps. -kj-

P1: 8850H, FHD, 16gb, 512gb, P2000, IR Camera, Windows 10 Pro
T450s & X201t & M93p, too
didierw
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,478
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for your feedback ...

I've been reading your post about your esc + f1 (light) and freeze at boot, the bios bricked (thunderbold and discrete graphics settings) ... and other posts like the coil-whining post etc ... I guess this definitly turned me away from buying one ....

I won't but a 4000 Euro expensive Thinkpad that have these kind of issues ....

kevin_jarrett
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,476
Message 4 of 9

I understand your trepidation, however, it's the biggest, baddest, best laptop I've ever owned, performance is incredible, build quality is fantastic, I'm very happy despite the intermittent power on issue. The BIOS bricking thing is concerning, but, I'm sure that will be addressed at some point, meanwhile, I'll just avoid opening my BIOS for any reason...

didierw
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,469
Message 5 of 9

Thanks again for your reply.

Actually, I like(d) them too, I already have a few Thinkpads (X1 carbon G1, T470, a S1 Yoga etc and many more over the years) but I wanted a reliable powerhouse (for java devs, virtualisation, oracle db devs etc)

I like the features and their black design ... but I need a powerful device, on which I can rely 100% day and night. I don't want to check the Internet to see if it can be bricked by changing a setting or it won't boot because of some random hardware or bios problems ... not at that price tag. This might be acceptable on low end laptops but not on high end.

From what I understand this bricked bios problem has been around for some time ... but they have not yet been capable to deliver a fix for it.

I had amost purchased  the p1 last night (one click away, honestly), I was at the stage where I had to enter my credit card information ... until I decided to have a last read and ouffff ... I did read. The bricked BIOS got some bad press lately (heise.de , notebookcheck etc) I had geared it up to almost 4800 Euro, at that price tag everything has to be rock solid.

Lenovo swanks around with Aston Martin advertisement and have that kind of problems with their highend thinkpads, come on Lenovo ...

kevin_jarrett
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,448
Message 6 of 9

I hear you, good luck with whatever you end up purchasing!
didierw
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,325
Message 7 of 9

If you don't mind I have 2 additonal questions.

Still happy with your FHD screen or do you regret not having chosen the 4K screen?

How is battery life with the FHD screen, how long can you last with one charge?

Thank you very much,

Didier

kevin_jarrett
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,321
Message 8 of 9

Very happy with the FHD. It's bright, clear and crisp. Haven't seen the 4k and probably would not like the glossy.

Battery life is about 5.5 to 6 hours by my estimation based on my usage, which by definition is not the same as anyone else's, so YMMV!

I did get a Lenovo 14,000 mAh power bank and it gives me about 3.5 of extra juice.

Love the P1, it's the best computer I've ever owned!

didierw
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,283
Message 9 of 9

Thx a lot for your fast reply!

Kind regards,

Didier

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors