Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mfulton95
Blue Screen Again
Views: 873
Message 1 of 9

P1 vs. P52 questions

Hello,

I am looking at getting either the P1 or P52 and have some questions. I will not be using it for a lot of graphics. I work in IT support, so will be using it for VM's, remote desktop, etc. I'm coming from a P50. Cost is not an issue, as the machine ib being purchased by my employer. 

1. How does the battery life compare on these machines? I won't need the 4K display, which I know causes faster battery drain. 

2. I am looking at either the I7-8850 or the Xeon CPU. Which is recommended in terms of performance? I know the I7 allows for the upgraded GPU, but that is not a huge concern for my use case, as I won't be doing gaming or video editing.

3. I know there were some reports of heating and fan noise issues with the P1. Have these been resolved?

4. Are there any advantages to 1 machine over the other? 

5. I know the P53 and P1 Gen2 are not currently in stock. Are there any advantages to the newer machines when compared to the older ones besides graphics?

6. I read that the keyboard on the P52 was changed and that some of the keys near the enter key were made smaller. How annoying is this? 

Thanks,

Mike

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 851
Message 2 of 9

Re: P1 vs. P52 questions

The big differences are size and weight vs. upgrade options.  The P52 has 4 memory slots vs. 2 on the P1.  DIMMS can be up to 32GB each.  

The P52 has room for 3 drives: 1 2.5" and 2 2280 SSDs.  The P1 has room for 2 2280 SSDs.  Battery life depends on options chosen and the way the machine is used.  The battery in the P52 is a little bigger (90 Whr vs 80 Whr).  The performance on the 2 CPUs are similar.  If you are running VMs the Xeon might be a little better, but I am not an expert.  The fan is going to run when either machine is under load,  These are 45-watt processors and the tradeoff is always power vs. heat.  The P1 is substantially thinner so I would expect the fan would run more often.  There are reports of noise and heat on P1 machines running VMs.  I have no direct experience so I cannot comment, If I were choosing for myself, I would be attracted to the new (P1 Gen2 and P53) because of the high-end screen options, but those don't seem like features you covet.  The P53 case is different from the P52 (no external battery).  I would expect the performance upgrade is not too great, but I haven't seen any tests

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
mfulton95
Blue Screen Again
Views: 849
Message 3 of 9

I don't anticipate needing more than 64GB of RAM. I'm currently running comfortably with 16GB. My biggest concerns would be the cooling issues with the P1.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 846
Message 4 of 9

I think cooling is the issue.  The size of the issue depends on usage and where you are going to use it.  Noise in a bedroom is different from usage in an office.  Only you can decide how inportant the size and weight are.  Thicker means more space which means more cooling.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

mfulton95
Blue Screen Again
Views: 843
Message 5 of 9

I'll mainly be using it in an office. I know the fan issues were big when the P1 was first released. Have the issues improved with firmware/software updates?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 840
Message 6 of 9

I don't know the answer, but  have heard that there were changes related to that.  I should also have mentioned that from my point of view, the biggest advantage of the Xeon is the possibility of ECC if you need that. (I do not.)  BTW, nobody makes 32GB SODIMMs with ECC  today.

Rich

mfulton95
Blue Screen Again
Views: 836
Message 7 of 9

I do not need ECC either.I'm leaning toward the P1 because of the size/weight differences, I'm just still a little torn because of the overheating issues.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 830
Message 8 of 9

If you prefer the P1, you should also look at X1 Extreme.  It is very similar to the P1 but with a different GPU and no Xeon option. I am not an expert, but from my perspective, the P1 GPU stresses complex rendering while the X1 Extreme seems to stress frame rate.

Rich

stpnv
Paper Tape
Views: 408
Message 9 of 9

What you ended up buying?
Because i have the same requirements and can't really decide Smiley Happy

Considering P52 (basic model) or P53 (also basic, probably), with upgraded RAM and storage (will upgrade myself).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors