cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dylan11
Paper Tape
Views: 1,002
Message 1 of 6

P40 Nvidia control panel missing, apps not using nvidia driver.

I've had this P40 a year or so with no issues. Discovered some sluggish graphics performance, checked to make sure nvidia was being used, and it wasn't. Went to change the nVidia settings and there was no nVidia control panel in my menus. Tried installing the latest drivers for the Quadro M500M. Uninstalled all nVidia drivers and software, directories (in C:\ and in Program Files) and installed selecting the "clean installation" option. Nothing I do will bring the nVidia control panel back. The whole reason I purchased this was the Quadro support. Outraged I just paid for another year of warranty only to find out that doesn't cover software issues at all. 

Anyone have a suggestion? Before I sell this and buy a machine from a brand with better support while under warranty.

SeniorGuru
Views: 989
Message 2 of 6

Re: P40 Nvidia control panel missing, apps not using nvidia driver.

How did you determine that nVidia graphics wasn't being used? I have never worked with a P40, so forgive my ignorance.

Does the P40 have both Intel and nVidia graphics, running in Optimus mode? Any BIOS settings affecting graphics configuration?  Is there a "discrete graphics" option to force 100% nVidia and disable Intel completely?

One more possiblity...

(1) Either do a "search" on SERVICES, or simply RUN SERVICES.MSC, to get the Windows Services window.

(2) Scroll down to locate the nVidia services.

Nvidia_services.jpg

(3) The nVidia Control Panel is affected by those two services "Display Container LS" and "Telemetry Container".  They both should show "automatic" as startup type.

If not, select the item, right-click and select "Properties", and then set startup type to "automatic".

(4) They should also have a status of "started".

If they show "started", select it and then right-click and select "stop".  Then select again and right-click and select "start".

Otherwise, if they're not "started", just select and right-click and select "start".

Does this recipe apply to your situation?  Did it have any effect?

jdrodrig
Token Ring
Views: 930
Message 3 of 6

is this a good time to tell you I could be interested in buying it?
jdrodrig
Token Ring
Views: 930
Message 4 of 6

on a slightly more serious note, if you have half an hour or so to spare, you can try to do a clean uninstall of all GPU related drivers, there is an utility, DDU (http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html) that most of the time works fine. you can reboot and manually isntall the latest quadro driver.
other option is to select the M500M in device manager and select, remove. reboot and install the driver. I am not positive, but I think there is when installing you get the option if you want just the driver or also the nVidia control panel.
finally, if you want to check if beign in used, you can use Tech GPU monitor (https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/) and monitor the sensors (GPU load for intance), while performing a graphics intensive task.
hope this helps in anyway.
dylan11
Paper Tape
Views: 919
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for those suggestions, they are useful ones. But I did manage to get thing working again with the Lenovo supplied driver packages. It may have been I needed to have the GeForce Experience installed? I wasn't using it, anything that makes me sign up for an account and give them my email just to use is not something I'm interested in if I can get away with not using it. But even without using it, it may have been the thing that put the nVidia controls back in the right click menu from the desktop. 

I was really hoping I could use the generic nVidia supplied drivers on this machine. My last Sony was a dead end product not long after I bought it because only the Sony supplied drivers would work and they never updated them and newer Cuda apps simply wouldn't work. I trust Lenovo will be better about updating their drivers, but being able to use the generic m500m drivers would make me feel a lot better about trusting this maching years into the future.

Jdrodrig, I appreciate your interest in my machine, but after this moment of frustration with Lenovo support (or lack thereof) I am reminded how much I love this machine. I'll be looking at Premiere Support options. In many cases I can fix things myself, but given professional demands I want some backup. Sometimes you can spend days finding a solution in forums, you need to have the darn thing working ASAP. 

tricksbystg
What's DOS?
Views: 740
Message 6 of 6

How to Fix Nvidia Control Panel Missing Problem

The Control Panel for Nvidia disappeared after the update.  Drivers functioned and were up to date, but the Nvidia Control Panel (activated by right clicking on the desktop) was gone.  In this case, when you click the NVIDIA Control Panel in Windows 10 Control Panel, the notice box will pop up and show you the error message:

make sure that you have the most recent driver installed and have access to the NVIDIA Control Panel. The above error may be due to below

• Previously installed drivers removed
  • NVIDIA control panel options reverted to defaults
  • SLI setting disabled

Fix Nvidia Control Panel Missing Problem

You may face missing Nvidia Control Panel issue after you have updated your windows or there are many other reasons for missing Nvidia Control Panel. Below we have suggested some solution for the issue of Nvidia Control Panel missing problem.

1. Check in Control Panel for Hidden Nvidia Control Panel 2.  Delete Nvidia and Install Again 3. Update graphics driver of your PC 4. Do a System Restore

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors