Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 10 (2,028 Views)

P40 Yoga issues

So i recieved my P40 Yoga a few days back. Installed Photoshop, Sketchbook and a few other painting softwares to test the capabilites. I was planning on using the P40 primarily for digital painting because I work as an illustrator.

First issue:

Touch and pen does not work together. In software like Photoshop this is extremly impractical. Like when you need to press a button in Photoshop with touch, you actually have to lift the pen off the screen before the touch reactivates. Would it not be possible to have touch available just for the left hand? And not for the right hand where you hold the pen. This may sound like a minor issue, but it gimps my workflow and especially the speed.

Second issue:

Painting and drawing with the pen works great, but in the mode where I rotate the screen almost 360 degrees, which is called the tablet mode, the pen cursor starts jumping all around. This happens only in this mode.

Because of these issues I will most likely send the P40 back. Hopefully these issues are easy to fix, so I can avoid that. And ideas? Help is much appreciated!

SuperMod
Message 2 of 10 (1,925 Views)

Re: P40 Yoga issues

Sorry to hear the pen/touch interface isn't working well for you.

Have you considered pressing buttons with the stylus itself rather than your left hand? Which buttons are you intending to push with a finger in PS while the pen is still in use?

The challenge for any tablet digitizer is allowing the user to keep their hand(s) on the screen while drawing/illustrating while knowing that a hand or finger shouldn't be registered. If tablets worked the way you were describing then there would be more chance for accidental, erroneous input from the user.

It's not impossible but certainly something I've never seen before, including Wacom products or any mobile tablet notebooks. If you know of one, please post a link as it would be good to see this in use.

ThinkStation P700 · C20      ThinkPad P40 · 600

Token Ring
Message 3 of 10 (1,893 Views)

It sounds like we bought the P40 for the same purpose and use similar software. Previous, I had an S1 Yoga I was using for digital artwork, and liked the portability that I adapted to it. I moved all my toolbars and buttons around in my various programs, and grew to be able to just know the right hover distance so I could use buttons along the side opposite my drawing hand. I think given time, you'll adapt to the P40 and find work arounds. 

I'd still love it if Lenovo built some kind of module that added hardware buttons in tablet mode, but I get along fine without them. Having something that would segregate the screen for different inputs would be nice, but I don't know if you could even write an app for that, not fully understanding how Active ES Wacom tech works. I carry a Keys-To-Go Logitech keyboard with my Yoga, and use it for keyboard shortcuts. It's super light and takes up next to no room in your bag.  

I've had some glitches in tablet mode. It's an issue with N-Trig (like the Surface Pro) equipped  as well, and probably everything else on the market. I find that if I boot fresh and rotate the tablet I'm fine, but if I wake from sleep mode and rotate the tablet, things go haywire about 50% of the time. 

What screen did you get? Which stylus are you using? 

Paper Tape
Message 4 of 10 (1,124 Views)

Hi,

I have received my Lenovo Thinkpad P40 yesterday and also am struggling with the problem of the pen cursor jumping around in Tablet Mode. This only happens while in Tablet Mode and isn't restricted to certain software, it always does it when the pen hovers just above the screen, which again doesn't jump around like that in any other mode. I am an animation student, so this function is quite neccesary for me.

It would be a shame if I had to return this nice laptop so soon, help would very much be appreciated!

Token Ring
Message 5 of 10 (1,100 Views)

hi. I have not noticed it much in my P40, although I normally use the pen for annotations.

just to debug the issue, have you noticed increased CPU usage? I am asking as there is a somewhat common problem with the wacom drivers that often leads to CPU being 50-70% use just by the driver. 

Paper Tape
Message 6 of 10 (1,095 Views)

Hello,

I haven't noticed that high CPU, there is a process called "Tablet Service for ISD Driver" which constantly floats around 30%, which is quite a lot in my opinion, but nothing reaching 50-70%.

I have to add that the problem is a little different from how I described earlier, it happens regardless of what mode the laptop is in and since I wrote the last post it sometimes randomly stops doing it and later on does it again.
Token Ring
Message 7 of 10 (1,094 Views)

Head to the support site and get the Service Bridge application installed and running. Update your machine, and make sure you have all the latest drivers. Could be graphics or Wacom drivers. 

When you flip the screen around into tablet mode, are you also letting Windows go into a tablet mode software state? Or, do you stay in desktop mode regardless? Which Stylus are you using? 

Token Ring
Message 8 of 10 (1,090 Views)

@Bobby I think 30% is high. I noticed the high CPU usage despite updating all drivers and I found the following thread useful. 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-S-Series-ThinkPad-Yoga/Wacom-Tablet-Service-for-ISD-Driver-Win...

after installing the driver listed there, I hardly notice the driver process in task manager. (of course, to be on the safe side, create a restore point, just in case).

Paper Tape
Message 9 of 10 (1,075 Views)

ArthurHWalker wrote:

When you flip the screen around into tablet mode, are you also letting Windows go into a tablet mode software state? Or, do you stay in desktop mode regardless? Which Stylus are you using? 

I have tried both and it kept happening, I now mostly have tablet mode off. I'm using the integrated stylus of the Lenovo P40 Yoga.

I have installed the driver sent in the link and will see if it helps, I'll let you know if it helps in a few days time. Thanks for your help!

Paper Tape
Message 10 of 10 (982 Views)

Hey,

I have the exact same issue with the cursor showing up in the wrong position when I am using the device in the tablet position. Installing the driver mentioned above did not help. I have tried Wacom driver versions 7.3.3.12, 7.3.4.8 and 7.3.4.13 without success. This is really annoying and makes working in tablet mode nearly impossible. Did you get any further in solving that problem?

Top kudoed Authors