cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m-borkar
Paper Tape
Views: 1,351
Message 1 of 19

P40 Yoga will not boot when connected to OneLink Dock with ethernet cable connected

Hello,

My P40 Yoga does not boot up (locks at 'Lenovo' startup screen) when connected to the OneLink dock with an ethernet cable connected. If I disconnect the ethernet cable and then reboot, it boots up fine.

Been trying to debug this for weeks without success. Tried changing boot order in BIOS (prioritizing SSD), disabling secure boot, enabling legacy boot, disabling LAN boot, etc. noting seems to work. Any guidance to address this issue will be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Milind

Highlighted
ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 1,291
Message 2 of 19

Re: P40 Yoga will not boot when connected to OneLink Dock with ethernet cable connected

I'm on the road, so I can't check it out yet, but there are not just drivers for the dock, but also firmware that looks to recently been updated. 

Maybe one of these will help? 

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/acc100252

m-borkar
Paper Tape
Views: 1,275
Message 3 of 19

Re: P40 Yoga will not boot when connected to OneLink Dock with ethernet cable connected

Thanks for the recommendation, but unfortunately that did not fix the issue. Still gets stuck at the Lenovo screen if I try to reboot witht he ethernet cable plugged in.

SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 1,266
Message 4 of 19

It could be getting stuck trying to boot to PXE over your network. Go into the BIOS and navigate to Startup > Boot and exclude PXE PCI LAN from the list by highlighting it and typing an exclamation mark (or 'Shift + 1' as it's noted). Hit 'F10' to save and exit, then try again.

I don't have the dock to test but do have the OneLink+ to RJ45 adapter. I can boot my P40 while connected to ethernet without issue. I have PCI LAN excluded in the boot device menu.

Try this and let us know if it helps.

Edited for clarity

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

m-borkar
Paper Tape
Views: 1,259
Message 5 of 19

I don't see 'PXE' explicitly listed in my Boot Priority Order, which is as follows:

1. Windows Boot Manager
  2. USB CD
  3. USB FDD
  4. ATA HDD0
  5. ATA HDD1
  6. USB HDD

I have excluded PCI LAN from boot priority order, which appears to be the only option for a network boot.

Thanks,

Milind

SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 1,248
Message 6 of 19

Sorry, yes, PCI LAN is essentially the same thing.

Edit: Nevermind, I now see that you've already tried this. Apologies for missing that in your first post.

Make sure you're on the latest system BIOS. The current rev is 1.40. A few OL+ updates have been made since initial release. It can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS112016

Is your network IPv4 or IPv6? Do you have either network stacks disabled in BIOS?

Have you tried setting the Network Boot option in BIOS to be your SSD? This shouldn't change anything with PCI LAN excluded but at this point it's worth a shot for troubleshooting purposes.

m-borkar
Paper Tape
Views: 1,233
Message 7 of 19

Sorry, yes, PCI LAN is essentially the same thing.

Edit: Nevermind, I now see that you've already tried this. Apologies for missing that in your first post.

No problem. I really appreciate your help

Make sure you're on the latest system BIOS. The current rev is 1.40.

I'm on v1.40, which is the BIOS that the laptop came with. UEFI BIOS Date is 2016-03-25

A few OL+ updates have been made since initial release.

I have already downloaded and installed the latest OL+ updates from the link provided by ArthurHWalker earlier in this thread

Is your network IPv4 or IPv6? Do you have either network stacks disabled in BIOS?

I tried a couple of online tools and it looks like my network supports both IPv4 and IPv6. Both are enabled in BIOS with PXE boot priority for IPv4.

Have you tried setting the Network Boot option in BIOS to be your SSD? This shouldn't change anything with PCI LAN excluded but at this point it's worth a shot for troubleshooting purposes.

This has been done as well.

SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 1,222
Message 8 of 19

Oh, I meant OL+ updates in the BIOS but you're on the latest rev anyway.

Are you on Win 10 or 7? If, 10, do you ever see the animation or does it hang before that? If it hangs before that then I'd start looking at your router and making sure nothing would keep it from assigning an IP. If it hangs after that then it could be a driver issue.

Do you have any other devices plugged into the dock at boot? If so, have you tried connecting only the ethernet cable to isolate it?

This one has me perplexed since I can boot mine just fine with the OL+/RJ45 adapter and a cable plugged in. If I get some time I'll try to approach it backward and get the process to break.

m-borkar
Paper Tape
Views: 1,214
Message 9 of 19

Are you on Win 10 or 7? If, 10, do you ever see the animation or does it hang before that? If it hangs before that then I'd start looking at your router and making sure nothing would keep it from assigning an IP. If it hangs after that then it could be a driver issue.

I'm on Win 10. When the ethernet cable is connected, the Lenovo Logo (white text on black background) shows up but the loading symbol (spinning circle) does not come up. From your description above, looks like this might a a router issue. Any guidance on how to further investigate this? Sorry, I'm not a networking expert

Do you have any other devices plugged into the dock at boot? If so, have you tried connecting only the ethernet cable to isolate it?

All I have connected are connectors to my KVM switch:

• 2x DP to DVI adapters
  • USB audio adapter cable
  • USB for Keyboard and Mouse
  • Power

I just tried disconnecting the USB cables and it didn't work

SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 1,199
Message 10 of 19

I'm not clear on what's connected to the dock and what's connected to the KVM, or how they're connected together.

Try disconnecting everything from the dock except ethernet. Use your P40 display and keyboard for troubleshooting. I don't think the monitors would cause an issue but it's best to eliminate all variables. If the same thing happens then you can reconnect everything.

Have you confirmed that everything connected to your system is UEFI-capable? If not, this can break the boot process.

On the networking side, that's difficult to answer without knowing your exact network layout, router config, etc. Plus, that can go down a long path trying to diagnose remotely. I'd start by looking into router settings for NAT, DHCP, IP assignments and things of that nature. It sounds like you can get an IP assigned once booted into Windows, so that's a plus. Also check your network addressing protocol once booted. If it's IPv6 then try disabling everything IPv4 related since that's a legacy protocol. Ideally you want to move up to IPv6.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors