cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m-borkar
Paper Tape
Views: 712
Message 11 of 19

Re: P40 Yoga will not boot when connected to OneLink Dock with ethernet cable connected

I'm not clear on what's connected to the dock and what's connected to the KVM, or how they're connected together.

Try disconnecting everything from the dock except ethernet. Use your P40 display and keyboard for troubleshooting. I don't think the monitors would cause an issue but it's best to eliminate all variables. If the same thing happens then you can reconnect everything.

Disconnecting everything from the dock and leaving only power and ethernet connected didn't help. But I did discover something interesting during the process. The problem only appears to occur if I reboot using 'Start Button' > 'Power' > 'Restart'. However if I reboot via 'Start Button' > 'Power' > 'Shut Down', and then manually power the machine back up, then it boots up fine even with the ethernet cable connected to the dock. Could this be related to differences in 'Restart' and 'Shutdown - Power Up' functionality, like power up sequencing?

Have you confirmed that everything connected to your system is UEFI-capable? If not, this can break the boot process.

On the networking side, that's difficult to answer without knowing your exact network layout, router config, etc. Plus, that can go down a long path trying to diagnose remotely. I'd start by looking into router settings for NAT, DHCP, IP assignments and things of that nature. It sounds like you can get an IP assigned once booted into Windows, so that's a plus. Also check your network addressing protocol once booted. If it's IPv6 then try disabling everything IPv4 related since that's a legacy protocol. Ideally you want to move up to IPv6.

I have not tried these yet as I am not familiar with the process of validating UEFI capability and addressing protocol, but I could start digging into these if the Restart / Shut Down differences don't result in any solutions.

Really appreciate your help Erik.

SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 707
Message 12 of 19

Re: P40 Yoga will not boot when connected to OneLink Dock with ethernet cable connected

Interesting. I'm not sure what would be causing that to hang on a warm reboot unless your system somehow isn't releasing the IP and it's causing a conflict with your network on reboot. I'll try to test that on my network and see what happens. It'll probably be after the weekend, however.

If you learn anything in the meantime, definitely post back.

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

Highlighted
m-borkar
Paper Tape
Views: 689
Message 13 of 19

Hello Erik, do you have any further thoughts on this?

SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 682
Message 14 of 19

Unfortunately, I can't get my P40 to hang on a cold boot or warm reboot when connected to ethernet. It works as expected regardless of BIOS settings. I can break it entirely with attempting a PXE boot but it relays errors as expected.

Short of suggesting re-flashing your system BIOS and trying a different dock (or even the OL+/RJ45 adapter like I have), I'm out of ideas at the moment. You might want to call service and see what they say.

Edit: Just to confirm, is the FRU number on your dock 03X6296?

SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 664
Message 15 of 19

Just to follow up, this was tested in the lab on another P40 and no issues were found with ethernet on the OneLink+ dock.

The best suggestion here is to try another network to verify your issue isn't with the network itself. Everything is pointing toward it being your particular network and not the P40.

Please try this and let us know what you find.

m-borkar
Paper Tape
Views: 661
Message 16 of 19

I called the support line over the weekend and they will be shipping me a new dock to try. If this doesn't resolve the issue, then I will try a different network.

I'll report back once I have tested it with the new dock.

m-borkar
Paper Tape
Views: 637
Message 17 of 19

Got a replacement dock today but it shows the same behavior. Tried it at my neighbor's home at it's working fine. So looks like there's some sort of handshaking issue between my Laptop / Dock / Router on warm boot (cold boot runs fine)

m-borkar
Paper Tape
Views: 632
Message 18 of 19

Edit: Just to confirm, is the FRU number on your dock 03X6296?

Sorry I missed this question, but, yes, thats the correct FRU

Debugging further, it looks like the problem exists when the following options are both enabled in BIOS > Config > Network:

• UEFI IPv4 Network Stack Enabled
  • UEFI IPv6 Network Stack Enabled

It appears to be working fine if one of them is disabled. I have disabled IPv4 and enabled IPv6, and it has been booting fine for the past hour. Will report back if the issue returns.

SgtRuby
Blue Screen Again
Views: 133
Message 19 of 19

Hello, I have the same problem with my OneLink+ dock where it won't boot up when connected to the dock.  It also seems to intermittently disconnect and reconnect.  It is a stand alone personal computer and I am not savvy enough about computers to make the software or configuration changes recommended in this thread.  Can somebody dumb it down for me?

Thank you,

Ruby

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors