Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xiwong
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,618
Message 1 of 7

P50 Battery Drain

My P50 (Xeon, M2000M, FHD) exhibits some strange behavior in regards to the battery and any external monitors and only just started doing so recently.

On very low usage, the computer draws about 6-7Whr from the battery. If an external monitor (via DP, TB, or HDMI) is connected and disconnected on the computer, even after I have confirmed the GPU has switched off again, the power usage is double what it was at around 13-14Whr, cutting battery life dramatically. The only way to return the computer to its orignal performance is to completely restart the system (logging off does not work either). This is on a clean install of Windows with drivers and basic programs installed only.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions where to look next? It is quite annoying to have to restart the entire computer every time after an external monitor is used.

xiwong
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,523
Message 2 of 7

Re: P50 Battery Drain

Additional observation:

When the system exhibits the issue, monitoring software (showing CPU Package, IA Cores, GT Cores, and DRAM power usage) along with Total System Power has a 3 watt discrepancy between the sum of all the previous power usage metrics. This results in total system power at idle of around 6-7 watts. When the system is not having the issue, the discrepancy between total and the separate parts is <1 watt, resulting in a total power at idle of around 2-3 watts.

Seems to suggest that my hunch (some system device is not entering low power mode) is correct, and that it may be due to a chipset component.

Maximus2016
Token Ring
Views: 1,464
Message 3 of 7

Which Windows version are you running?

I noticed there was a new Win10 Power Management driver released on Sep 12th, 2016.

I can't say I have observed this because I don't normally use external displays.

i2000s
HDMI
Views: 1,435
Message 4 of 7

Similar problem here.

On Windows 10 (Anniversary Upate) with PowerManagement Version 1.67.12.14. My observation is based on my past experience though.

Do you guys also observe the power drain from sleeping with charger connected to the wall shocket? When I put the computer in sleep mode, with a threshold of full charging and start-charging level setup and an external monitor connected, the battery level will slowly go down. It is wired because I have connected the computer on the wall power. I will post a separate thread to track this issue. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TPs own: X31 (2003), X61T, X200T, Tablet 2, P50 (2016); Win XP-10, Ubuntu8.04-16.04.
xiwong
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,411
Message 5 of 7

Running Windows 10 AU and the newest Power Management Driver (1.67.12.16) and the newest chipset driver (10.1.1.33). Neither seem to have had an impact on the issue.

I never put my system in sleep mode when connected to the outlet, but I will do so tonight to see if I experience the same thing.

loreamon
Punch Card
Views: 1,394
Message 6 of 7

I have my first issue with new p50 here,  it started few days ago  (probably related to power manager driver update & new chipset driver )

Fan is constantly running at full speed,  almostnot stopping,  and main program I use (steinberg Cubase, real-time audio processing), shows a 50% performance drop

Bios is 1.30 running on win10 AU. Fan is spinning both on battery /Ac , with or without external monitor,  power scheme (and many bios settings ) is for high performance but fan is not behaving  well on other shcemes as well. 

Tried everything,  including tpfan program. . Pls help? Would try to re upload same bios versionbut the installer doesn't allow me. 

I will have to reinstall windows if nothing changes .. 

P50 LENOVO 20EN / Intel Xeon E3-1505M v5 / 16 DDR4 Ram / Samsung 512GB PRO Nvme/ NVIDIA Quadro M2000M

W520 / 2.2ghz i7 4core / 2x4gb DDR 3 RAM / 256 gb Samsung 810 PRO SSD / NVIDIA Quadro M1000M
xiwong
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,357
Message 7 of 7

@loreanmon The new chipset update has been a disaster. For me at least, my issue with battery drain has gotten a lot worse. I'm downgrading to April's driver.

In regards to my issue, it has gotten a lot worse. Now, any time I unplug a monitor after any duration, it has the high drain. Super annoying if I have to give a presentation for 10 minutes and then have to restart the computer.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors