Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tk-don
Token Ring
Views: 1,100
Message 21 of 25

Re: P50 Can not Find BIOS ECC Option ??

Hi Amy,

Thank you for getting back to me/us regarding this.

It is excellent that a future UEFI firmware can detect/report that ECC memory is present.

The real question however remains, how do we know that it is working? Or let me ask it in another way - why do all methods of verifying that ECC is enabled and working currently fail, or report that it is disabled?

It would be very nice if the ThinkStations team could look into this question. There might not be any problem at all. It could simply be the strings retrieved from SMBIOS which are of a new format since Skylake Xeons, but something like this would be great to know. No-one outside of your team knows of this.

I'm awaiting delivery of my own P50 which is built with 2x16 GB DDR4 ECC memory. When I receive my system, I'd more than glad to help, although it might be easier if the customer was located in the US.

helloguys
Token Ring
Views: 1,048
Message 22 of 25

If this applies to all BIOS versions, why people with ECC RAM installed didn't see it in their BIOS?  They have ECC RAM purchased and installed by Lenovo.  I thought this was a "new feature" on BIOS 1.18.  Now I'm more confused.

Former Employee
Views: 936
Message 23 of 25

Lenovo has identified that in some cases the "With ECC" automatic notation on P50 and P70 ThinkPads is not showing in BIOS as expected.

Think Engineering is working to release a BIOS update that includes a fix for this issue.

I will post again when the BIOS update has been released.

Thank you,

Former Employee
Views: 772
Message 24 of 25

In response to customer reports of the "With ECC" automatic notation not showing as expected on P50 and P70 ThinkPads configured with ECC memory, Lenovo has provided a solution by releasing an updated BIOS.

Version 1.21

UEFI: 1.21 / ECP: 1.14

(Fix) Fixed an issue where BIOS Setup might show incorrect memory information with ECC memory.

For P50 ThinkPads, BIOS v.1.21 can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS106108

For P70 ThinkPads, BIOS v.1.21 can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS106085

Thank you,

tk-don
Token Ring
Views: 741
Message 25 of 25

Thanks Amy,

With version 1.21, the ECC is now correctly mentioned in BIOS menu/overview screen. Excellent!

My system was pre-configured with 2x16 GB ECC memory modules running in dual channel.

When I run "wmic memorychip get datawidth,totalwidth" then datawidth is 64 and totalwidth is 128. However, shouldn't it be totalwidth=128+8+8 =144 instead, or am I missing something?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors