Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
microfishd1
Token Ring
Views: 682
Message 281 of 285

Re: P50: Cracked Palmrest Repair

I have a similar issue, with a diagonal crack from between f1 & f2, extending up to the middle of the left hinge. When I got the laptop, I noticed a slight "bulge" or "ridge" there in the plastic, almost as if it was sitting ontop of a clip, instead of under it. At the time I thought "well, however odd it looks, what do I know? It might be supposed to be that way." Now it is cracked all the way through, and the bulge has mostly disappeared. I do have a onsite NBD & ADP warranty, so i might contact them so see about getting it fixed. I also have a recently-developed "stress fracture" going from the upper left mouse button curving around and going to the lower left mouse button. I have never dropped it or otherwise mistreated it (as far as I know).

This has been a great laptop otherwise, and if it were not for these two cracks I would be extremely satisfied. The second I am not concerned about, but the ridge under the plastic (by the f1 keys) is troubling, as I do not think one is supposed to be able to see the hinge through this bezel. Smiley Wink

-----------IBM T40: XP PRO SP3, 14.1" 4:3 display, 512MB DDR RAM, 40GB HDD, ThinkLight, DVD.
Lenovo Ideacentre H215: AMD Athlon II X2 215, 500GB HDD, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64-bit Win7, AMD 760G.
P50 i7, M2000M, 1x16GB RAM, 1080p non-touch, 512GB SSD, 500GB HDD, Backlight, No WWAN, No PWM, No Raid.
DerbyM
What's DOS?
Views: 479
Message 282 of 285

This is the review I sent to Lenovo after my P50 was repaired:

"

The referenced laptop was less than 60 days old when a plastic case crack occurred. I was informed it was my fault by your first line service representative. The P50 is your highest priced professional laptop. The laptop has the Next Day Day On-site Repair and extended warranty.

I researched in your forums that Lenovo has a confidential service tip advising your service staff of a plastics defect in the P50 and to cover under warranty. I repeatedly provided the Lenovo Service Tip reference number and links to the Lenovo Forum moderators (Lenovo employees) that had stated it was a known defect. I had to defend my warranty request and inform multiple agents and then followup with daily calls to keep insisting on warranty repairs.

Lenovo's first and second line support, the depot repair representative, the depot manager, the escalation case manager all had no awareness, access or authority to act on the service tip. I had to argue and demand escalation until the Executive Customer Care Case Manager (Denise Mongeon) reviewed the case and approved repairs.

After 2 weeks and over 20hrs of my time to research, inform, request, inform again, request escalation, inform again, etc. I finally saved the $185 for the repair quote.

Please note that I am the CTO of the company and would have billed the repair cost cost to my company. My mission to get the laptop repaired was based on the principle that Lenovo knew it was a problem, did not offer a recall and them blamed the customer, billed the customer and forced the customer to research and prove to Lenovo what Lenovo already had known.

Throughout this experience it was clear that Lenovo had no expectation to provide onsite repair or ANY repair to a known product defect. I have taken extemporaneous notes of my experience with every Lenovo agent I interacted. I hold sufficient evidence for legal suit on the grounds of breach of contract, intent to deceive, fraud, and negligence.

"

elcaudillo
What's DOS?
Views: 469
Message 283 of 285

What's the Lenovo Service Tip reference number? I have the P51 with all the bells and whistles (over $3200) and am also at the exec level of my company (founder) and use this as my desktop replacement with a separate wireless keyboard.

Given that it's my primary PC I am loathe to be without it but the water resistance is clearly compromised by the crack so I will need to put in a repair request. I have onsite repair and also accidental damage coverage so I can't imagine they have any kind of excuse they can use (although this is clearly a manufacturing defect that should have resulted in a recall).

Highlighted
DerbyM
What's DOS?
Views: 348
Message 284 of 285

Followup to initial post -

My original palmrest cracked on Sept 29th. 

The FIRST replacement palmrest cracked again a week after receiving back from service depot on Oct 30th.

Denise (Executive Case Manager) had it replaced onsite and also replaced the 4K display due to bad pixels.

The SECOND replacement palmrest lasted 7 weeks until it cracked Dec 24th. See new picture of this crack.

I have left 3 emails and a phone call asking Denise for remediation of the problem. I'm waiting to hear back on getting a THIRD replacement.

I'll post her next actions soon...

Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 239
Message 285 of 285

That can't be. The high quality plastic used on this great workstation is Glass-Fiber Reinforced (mine is a W540). . .
(FWIW, I too needed to replace the top cover of the W540). This is a REAL workstation with quaiity materials Smiley Wink   (Took advantage of the quality issues, to remove the professional workstation track pad and covert to a 3 button amateur pad).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors