Message 261 of 285

Re: P50: Cracked Palmrest Repair

They fixed mine under warranty.

gary80397
Paper Tape
Views: 1,055
Message 262 of 285

I sent mine in and they told me cracks are not covered. They sent it back to me unfixed. I ordered the part and installed it myself.  I do have onsite and depot repair.  Neither would cover a crack, mine was just a crack between the finger print reader and down arrow button,  it was small but annoying.  Good Luck hope you have better success.  As I posted earlier in this forum.  I have switch my company to HP workstations over the way they took care of this

gary80397
Paper Tape
Views: 1,043
Message 263 of 285

Maybe they are fixing it now.  I sent mine in February and it was a no go.  It good to hear they are making good on it now

nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 1,000
Message 264 of 285

@Ruiwei wrote:

They fixed mine under warranty.

did you ship the unit to Lenovo or were you able to get it serviced at a local provider? (unless you had on-site warranty and got the repair done on-site)

nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 991
Message 265 of 285

@gary80397 wrote:

Maybe they are fixing it now.  I sent mine in February and it was a no go.  It good to hear they are making good on it now

As a suggestion, if you want to post on this thread then perhaps it might help to go over the old posts and the solution that explains that Lenovo has decided to do free replacements. They could be doing this on a case by case basis but your experience from Feb is not what the current scenario is.

Ruiwei
Paper Tape
Views: 974
Message 266 of 285

I opened a service request ticket on Lenovo website, they sent me a prepaid overnight UPS shipping box. I dropped at UPS store, received after 2 or 3 days (cannot remember but it was fast).

I tried to chat online with Lenovo's support guy, they said I do not have damage warranty (they keep saying the palm rest cannot be cracked unless I damaged it.) I had many Thinkpad laptops, IBM had the best services until Lenovo took over. 

Thinkpad T and P series are still my favor laptops, the design still great, but the build quality was not as good as before. I still like Thinkpad because they have the best keyboard, easy to upgrade RAM and Storage, but their support and service are just terrible. My company has many Thinkpad laptops and workstations, but we start ordering Dell instead of Lenovo. Dell's products weren't great but at least they stand behind their products.  

Hattieman
Paper Tape
Views: 770
Message 267 of 285

My new P51 also has developed a crack at the bottom right of the palmrest below the Thinkpad logo. I bought the workstation 2 months ago. It started off small and barely noticeable however it has gotten bigger over the last few days on its own. The corner of the palmrest is also depressed a little bit where the crack occurs. If I had to guess the reason, the screw right under the cracked portion was installed too tight and putting stress on the plastic. The depressed portion does not wiggle at all and is very tight to the base. I always make a point to be delicate when handling my workstation, and it sits on my desk the majority of the time. I am very disappointed at what appears to be a defect in manufacturing or materials, as I really love this computer otherwise. The overall build quality of the machine is excellent. I have a 2-year warranty and was told that it would be covered (although was not asked about details when I opened the issue online), so I am awaiting the box to ship it to the depot. I am concerned that the repair will cause other damage to my computer, not to mention a crack may reappear in the new part. I found the palmrest bezel (Part # SBB0M82470) on Lenovo's online parts catalogue but was unable to click on the "add to cart" button. I wanted to buy the part to have on-hand in the event that the crack gets worse. Has anyone had a similar experience where the part was unavailable? Do you think it's worth sending the machine in to get repaired? See pictures.

InkedLenovo Crack 1_LI.jpgLenovo Crack 2.jpg

nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 705
Message 268 of 285

Sent my laptop for repair of crack near the finger print reader and the intersection of left and down arrows.

Got it in a couple of days with palmrest replaced.

Am happy.

jdrodrig
Token Ring
Views: 696
Message 269 of 285

I would fix it, but why depot? last time I checked, the upgrade to onsite is like 40 bucks. to me, totally worth it.
rxv94
Paper Tape
Views: 612
Message 270 of 285

My bezel was replaced under warranty last January due to the fingerprint crack. Today I found a crack on the bottom right corner of the bezel right under the ThinkPad logo. I do not travel with this laptop... It sits at home for times when I work from home.

I am a quality engineer and travel with a Dell and have never had issues with it. I am quite dissapointed that Lenovo has not fixed this issue with their bezels. For a $2k laptop I expect stringent quality control. Was a SCAR issued for the last warranty recall with the fingerprint readers? What did the supplier do to address the issue? I'm sure Lenovo does not manufacture these bezels, but if they do, I am very dissapointed in their ability to identify the failure and issue corrective actions.cracked bezel.jpgcracked bezel2.jpg

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors