Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wendel
802.11n
Views: 2,914
Message 21 of 285

Re: P50 Keyboard bezel crack

Insurance is one way to go. Hopefully they will honor your claim no questions. Then what? Do you send your laptop for repair? Do they send you a bezel and you fix it? And how long until you repeat the whole process?
jdrodrig
Token Ring
Views: 2,902
Message 22 of 285

@Wendel

good point. I guess I was thinking of the NBD (next business day, onsite) type of service. so, you will call them, they bring either a whole replacement and they transfer your ram and disks, or they bring the part and replace it.

HSW_169
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,815
Message 23 of 285

Re: Cracked Palmrest Repair

Is there a solution in sight?

I am still very disappointed. I have software issues with my P50, two buttons are sticky and this crack in the palm rest. 

I think i can expect a "perfect" laptop, when i pay about 2000€...

Guru
Views: 2,708
Message 24 of 285

@psuturtle wrote:

For what it's worth, I'm trying to highlight this issue with the ThinkPad development team for P50.  At first glance, I would have guessed it was due to carrying the system around by the corners with the cover open (like Sarbin), but based on other posts here it seems that might not necessarily be the case.  I can't promise anything, but I'll see if we can get the team to look into it.

You can add the P70 to the list now. My 5 month old system has developed a stress crack from the lower right corner of the touchpad rightmost button to the front edge of the system. I called for NBD warranty service, but as others have documented, I was told that "obviously" I must have dropped something onto the system to cause this. The system sits on my desk connected to a docking station 99% of the time. This crack showed up yesterday evening (I didn't notice it in the morning before I left for work). This is a materials defect and should be covered under warranty. It is not accidental damage. I always use an external keyboard when it is on my desk.

P70_crack2.jpg

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.31, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.23,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID 1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
tk-don
Token Ring
Views: 2,676
Message 25 of 285

I use my P50 in a setup similiar to yours Harrisb, in a dock (workstation dock) with an external keyboard. No cracks yet, but this issue has seriously had me become worried, and am checking for cracks every day, even hairline scratches.

MIL-spec tested, yeah right. Looks more and more like a counterfeit Thinkpad. Even the old i-Series 1400 Thinkpads designed and manufactured by Acer for IBM were more durable by comparison (a co-worker of mine owned one).

Guru
Views: 2,675
Message 26 of 285

I'm less disturbed by the stress crack that has appeared than the attitude of the warranty people who ASSUME that that I have caused the damage by dropping something on the unit. The accidental damage warranty specifically excludes cracks in the plastic if the system is still functional. I'm not sure who is the plastic supplier for the P50 and P70, but I hope that Lenovo has already addressed the issues with that manufacturer. I've had ThinkPads for a very long time and I have never had a plastic failure on any of them until now,

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.31, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.23,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID 1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
jdrodrig
Token Ring
Views: 2,631
Message 27 of 285

being cynical, I guess you can only hope for having another accident which in facts renders it non-functional, and then they will have to repair it.

if you think about, a crack is an open invitation for dust, water, and any other sustance getting in, which then increases teh chances of functional failures. lenovo should realize that it is cheaper to fix a crack than to later on have to replace the motherboard.

kpw
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,522
Message 28 of 285

after six month of usage suddenly cracked palmrest. see picture....

not expected for such highpriced systems........

Many regards,

kpw

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,485
Message 29 of 285

For what it's worth, I'm still trying to work this issue internally.  My first attempt hit a roadblock, but I was able to get the pervasive issues team involved.  So it's finally getting some visibility.  This one will likely take some time to work through though given the nature of the issue.

If we've helped resolve your issue, please be sure to mark your topic as solved!
StaticRick
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,463
Message 30 of 285

Thank you psuturtle for the update and for continuing to advocate for those of us with this issue.

What is the best possible outcome for those of us who have already purchased a P50 and have experienced these normal-usage cracks in the palmrest?  Is it possible that the analysis of the pervasive issues team will result in a warranty (free) replacement, or is this just an internal review so that it doesn't happen in future Lenovo products?

The cracks in mine have grown longer and I'm considering my options.  If they get much worse, parts of the bezel are going to start falling off.

Previous to being told that the cracks were my fault and not covered under warranty, I was a vocal advocate for Lenovo, so I'll be staying tuned in to this thread in hopes of a resolution.  

Thanks again for your help and communications.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors