cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rojblake
Punch Card
Views: 631
Message 1 of 6

P50: Creaking/clicking noise under right wrist when typing?

Hi Everybody,

Does anybody else have this (minor) issue with the P50 palm rest?  I wonder if this is just normal.

When I put my hands down on the palmrest, getting ready to type at the keyboard, and rest my wrists on the palmrest, the right palmrest clicks and creaks a little.  It feels like the palmrest is bowed upwards in the area of the fingerprint reader, so that when I put my hand down on it, it creaks a little.  If I press down with a couple of fingers below the numpad, there's a good millimeter or so of travel, and an audible tapping noise when I hit the bottom of the "travel", when I push down. 

Is this just normal?  I've got access to another P50 at work, and it's fine -- no issue at all with the palmrest.  I notice that on that (no problem) P50, the edge of the palmrest, at the base of the numpad, is basically flush with the palmrest, but on the P50 with the clicking, the base of the palmrest is raised above the bottom of the numpad (around the key "0") so there's quite a bit of flex.  On the no-problem P50, I can push a little on the area below the numpad, and while there's a much fainter tapping noise when I press on it, there's no noticeable flex when I rest my hands on the palmrest to type.  So it seems that that P50 is unaffected.

Don't get me wrong: I've really come to love my P50, even thinking of asking for one at work; it's an awesome machine, generally.  I've been recommending it to friends who like the classic Thinkpad look.  But this little problem is a little annoying, especially since what I love most about this machine is the typing experience, and I'm wondering whether I should ask to have it looked at.

I know there's a thread on the palmrests/bezels cracking, but I don't see any cracks.  Admittedly, I'm a little worried that this could be the less-extreme example of that...

Thanks for any help or input!

Guru
Views: 601
Message 2 of 6

Re: P50: Creaking/clicking noise under right wrist when typing?

Remove the Keyboard, and reseat the bezel fully into the tabs. It sounds like the bezel assembly is a bit off, but not broken. Then reinstall the keyboard. The bezel is secured around the open edges with small plastic tabs which fit into the internal frame.

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.30, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.22,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID 1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
rojblake
Punch Card
Views: 580
Message 3 of 6

Hi harrisb,

Thanks; that's a good idea.  I'll remove the keyboard, take a look, and report back.  

Just in case it helps other people, there are pictures of the bezel/palmrest part online at Lenovo (I didn't realize this until today, but the Lenovo Parts Lookup menu for this laptop has great pictures of many of the components -- bet they exist for other laptops, too), and there is a plastic tab on the bezel/palmrest just below the left side of the "0" key.  Am a bit concerned that that tab may be broken, as I can push down on the plastic on the bezel, below the "0" key, and it doesn't seem to "catch."

But yeah, definitely worth a closer inspection.  Thanks again!

Guru
Views: 571
Message 4 of 6

Go to the training videos for the p50 that will show you how to remove the parts. 

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.30, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
rojblake
Punch Card
Views: 561
Message 5 of 6

Hi harrisb,

Thanks for all of the input -- I appreciate it!  Yeah, I looked at the video for keyboard removal, and had the Hardware Maintenance Manual on a tablet.  It's practically a joy to work on these Thinkpads, as opposed to all of the Macs I see at work...

Not sure if you meant to remove the bezel as well; I held short of that, but removed the keyboard, and it did give me good access to that "inner" part of the bezel, near the keyboard.  I tried pushing down on that inner edge (again, on the bezel below the "0" key, as well as the other inner edges) to re-engage the plastic tabs.  I can feel it having a very little bit of resistence, as I push down on that part of bezel, but then it just pops back out when I release.  It just feels like it's not catching.  So unfortunately, no joy...

Guru
Views: 547
Message 6 of 6

I think that you should remove the bezel screws, pry up the unit (but not remove it from the system) and reset it back. The tabs are a bit imprecise and a slight repositioning might allow the tab in question to catch. Otherwise, you can call service and obtain a replacement bezel.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors