cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
LD12
Serial Port
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎04-06-2017
Location: US
Views: 421
Message 1 of 8

P50 Fingerprint reader not found after Windows security update

Following a Windows 10 update and security update on 8/22/2019 my Lenovo fingerprint reader stopped working entirely.  I uninstalled the update, but Windows won't let me uninstall the security update without an entire system reset.  I'd rather not reload (*purchase) all my non-windows software again.  I've read the forums about other Windows updates making the fingerprint reader inoperative, but most of the corrections are to uninstall and have the driver automatically (*hopefully) reinstall automatically.  I went into my device manager, found the biometrics had a flag, and uninstalled the fingerprint reader.  Now it has entirely disappeared, even as an unknown device.  I've rebooted and tried several things to locate it.  I even went into BIOS, and it says no fingerprint reader is installed.  The laptop sits on a desk all day, so I'm not buying the "maybe it got disconnected by trauma" story, especially because the fingerprint reader stopped working immediately after the Windows updates.  This is clearly a software issue.  Can anyone help?? 

 

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Posts: 6,052
Registered: ‎10-29-2009
Location: NC
Views: 408
Message 2 of 8

Re: P50 Fingerprint reader not found after Windows security update


@LD12 wrote:

I even went into BIOS, and it says no fingerprint reader is installed.   


Sorry for this trouble, but this means it is a hardware problem.  Either the fingerprint reader has gone bad, or else something wrong with it's cable/connectors.  

LD12
Serial Port
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎04-06-2017
Location: US
Views: 406
Message 3 of 8

Re: P50 Fingerprint reader not found after Windows security update

Is there a way to buy a replacement fingerprint reader?  My computer is out of warranty and I'm comfortable opening it up to reinstall/replace components.  

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Posts: 6,052
Registered: ‎10-29-2009
Location: NC
Views: 403
Message 4 of 8

Re: P50 Fingerprint reader not found after Windows security update

Fingerprint reader is part of the upper case assembly.

Start here:  https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/partslookup

Search for "ThinkPad P50"

Then search for "FPR" (Fingerprint reader)

You should find 2 upper case assemblies, w/CS and w/oCS (this means with and without Color Sensor).

Part number 00UR828 (w/oCS) or 00UR829 (w/CS).

Out of stock at Lenovo, but search for those part numbers and you should be able to find other suppliers (just make sure they include the sensor)

You might also be able to find just the sensor on ebay/amazon/etc.

Guru
Posts: 2,105
Registered: ‎04-20-2008
Location: US
Views: 356
Message 5 of 8

Re: P50 Fingerprint reader not found after Windows security update


@LD12 wrote:

Following a Windows 10 update and security update on 8/22/2019 my Lenovo fingerprint reader stopped working entirely.  I uninstalled the update, but Windows won't let me uninstall the security update without an entire system reset.  I'd rather not reload (*purchase) all my non-windows software again.  I've read the forums about other Windows updates making the fingerprint reader inoperative, but most of the corrections are to uninstall and have the driver automatically (*hopefully) reinstall automatically.  I went into my device manager, found the biometrics had a flag, and uninstalled the fingerprint reader.  Now it has entirely disappeared, even as an unknown device.  I've rebooted and tried several things to locate it.  I even went into BIOS, and it says no fingerprint reader is installed.  The laptop sits on a desk all day, so I'm not buying the "maybe it got disconnected by trauma" story, especially because the fingerprint reader stopped working immediately after the Windows updates.  This is clearly a software issue.  Can anyone help?? 

 


It's a long shot, but you might try to reseat the cable to the fingerprint reader on the system planar to see if the issue is the contact. The removal and reinstall of the palmrest is described in the HMM videos online. There have been a few posts about the connector assembly on the P50 planar becoming detached from the board. Hopefully, this is not the case and a simple reconnect of the cable will work.


P53 XEON 2276 BIOS 1.18 OLED UHD 4K Multi-touch display, 96GB RAM, RTX5000, RAID 1, 1TB x 2 Samsung PM981, 1TB PM981, WWAN
P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.32, 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.25,Xeon Processor, 4k UHD IPS multi-touch display, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1

I am not an employee nor an agent of Lenovo.
thelegion501
What's DOS?
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎09-07-2019
Location: US
Views: 296
Message 6 of 8

Re: P50 Fingerprint reader not found after Windows security update

I did this. I unseated and reseated the cable for the fingerprint reader, tried to update the driver, didn't work. The computer just does not see the fingerprint reader anymore. This is definitely an issue with a windows update. Please look into it. It was working perfectly one day and stopped a few days ago after an update. 

 

Just making sure you know this is not an isolated case with the original posters computer. 

 

Thanks, 

ve2mrx
802.11n
Posts: 207
Registered: ‎07-07-2019
Location: CA
Views: 278
Message 7 of 8

Re: P50 Fingerprint reader not found after Windows security update

Hi!

 

Maybe you could try to install Windows in a separate partition (offline!) and reinstall the drivers from a folder on some media? The Windows should reactivate if your machine came with it, and being a fresh, non-updated install, you could rule out the bad update issue?

 

Also, if you have Windows Pro, set Windows Update Branch to Semi-Annual Channel, Quality update deferal to 15 days, Feature updates deferal to 364 days (I use 364 days as there is/was a bug that caused 365 to be interpreted as 0!). That should help weed out bad updates. From https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/1000005-disable-automatic-update-in-windows-10/#post-91691

 

Having a second, minimal install of Windows 10 is useful to diagnose issues with drivers/hardware/updates. Keep it clean, as provided by Lenovo if possible (so, no network access!).

 

 Oh, have you looked if it's activated in the BIOS? Maybe do an F9 and reconfigure as desired?

 

Hopefully, you will be able to figure if it's hardware or software!

 

Martin

I'm a user, NOT a Lenovo employee. If my post helped, consider giving me a Kudos. If I solved your issue, please mark it as Solved.
P52 I7-8750H P1000 FHD 16GB 512GB-SSD 1TB-HDD
Guru
Posts: 2,105
Registered: ‎04-20-2008
Location: US
Views: 263
Message 8 of 8

Re: P50 Fingerprint reader not found after Windows security update


@thelegion501 wrote:

I did this. I unseated and reseated the cable for the fingerprint reader, tried to update the driver, didn't work. The computer just does not see the fingerprint reader anymore. This is definitely an issue with a windows update. Please look into it. It was working perfectly one day and stopped a few days ago after an update. 

 

Just making sure you know this is not an isolated case with the original posters computer. 

 

Thanks, 


Have you gone into the BIOS and determined that the I/O access for the fingerprint reader has not been disabled? Check in the Security tab that the I/O access is  set to ENABLED.


P53 XEON 2276 BIOS 1.18 OLED UHD 4K Multi-touch display, 96GB RAM, RTX5000, RAID 1, 1TB x 2 Samsung PM981, 1TB PM981, WWAN
P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.32, 4k Display, 64GB, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID1 1TB Samsung PM981 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.25,Xeon Processor, 4k UHD IPS multi-touch display, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID1

I am not an employee nor an agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!


Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors